Questions From A Young Christian

Philip777

Hello everyone ! I'm a newcomer here.

My name is Philip, I am 18 years old. I am a Christian, and I firmly believe my faith is the truth, but I am open to discuss with all sorts of religions. I'm interested to learn some more about different religions and philosophies, so I looked for a forum of young Sikhs on Google to learn to know more about the Sikh religion. I'm French, but I didn't find a French forum, so finally I registered here (so, sorry if my English isn't always perfect.) Actually, I'm preparing my A'Levels (school is general school in France until A'Levels), and next year I want to study foreign languages.

I would like to discover what Sikhism is about. I must honestly say I hardly know anything at all about Sikhism, so I'd like to get explanations about what you believe, and what you practice. Please, explain me.

And, how does on become a Sikh ?

And I'd also know what personally attracts you in Sikhism. Were you born in this religion or did you personally choose it ?

Thank you for your answers, I am here to discover :rolleyes:

Hi Phillip, i think the problem here is that you ended discussion in your first sentece by saying "my faith is truth"

all faith's are truth as they all point essentially to the same place

Sorry, but I really cannot agree. I agree wholeheartedly all faiths diserve respect, and all faiths have things you can learn from. And that's the reason I'm here

But I totally disagree that all are equally true, and that they all point essentially to the same place. All religions, philosophies, faiths, spiritualities etc, speak of love, peace and brotherhood between all mankind. And all have excellent moral values. But no, all don't lead to God.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sikhs believe in equality of all mankind and religions and thats why many of my friends converted. Sikhism does not have missionaries and believes by living a pure life full with love for God, no matter what religion, color, or gender one may be of, they will achieve salvation. Another reason why my friends choose Sikhism is because none of the writings conflict with modern science, but modern science backs up many beliefs. I will give examples by referring to you with some shabads, most of these came from Adi Granth which was compiled in 1605, but all of them can be found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib which was compiled in 1708. "From the union of the sperm and the female egg, the body was formed" (SGGS 1026). Anton van Leewenhoek discovered sperm when he looked underneath a microscope in 1677, however it wasn't until 1875 that science discovered this was how human body was created. Another example is with physics, where it states that "Nothing is produced and nothing is lost. I say it by God's grace" (SGGS 695). This idea quickly brings up the idea of conservation, be it energy, matter, charge, etc. Also in SGGS 176, the different Ages are mentioned. Here I infer that it means evolution was the process that human form came, however God carried out the process. Many of my Sikh brothers will disagree with me, while others will agree. These are just some reasons why many became Sikhs and why I am still a Sikh today eventhough everyday stories about Jesus and Christianity are heard in school. I did not talk about the bliss every time I sing praises of the Lord or other main beliefs in Sikhism so please forgive me, but many others in this forum have, I just choose to show you a more scientific view of Sikhism. Sangat Ji, if any of my interpretations are wrong please correct me and further help me understand Waheguru and his marvelous plays. I would gladly post more about other beliefs, but unfortunately I have finals to study for, so please pardon my inability to further help you understand Sikhism at the moment, I will try to post more as soon as possible. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. :vaheguru:

Much more information about Science and Sikhism can be found at www.sikhs.wellington.net.nz/Sikh_Religion.pdf for anyone who is interested. WJKK WJKF.

I also have a couple questions for Phillip or anyone who is of Christian faith. My friend was telling me about Christianity, but he arrived to a story about Joshua stopping the Sun and he reversal of the Sun's course by Isaiah. I was just wondering two things, one is that wouldn't people all around the world be in complete awe and amazed at the sight of the sun stopping and moving? If so wouldn't it be widely published in many doctorines? Another question is that my friend said Isaiah reveresed the Sun's course, however, the Sun doesnt have a path around the Earth. The Earth travels around the Sun, so wouldnt Isaiah really be changing the Earth's course not the Sun's? Another thing I had a question about, was how the universe created in 6 days. Why did it take God a day to create the moon, another for the sun, another for the Earth, etc when the moon is a speck compared to the Sun? Also if god is powerful , then why so many days, why not 1? I final question that I have is how a religion can say that all other religions are false and to follow others will result in one to go into hell. This seems to me and to other atheist I know, as an intimidation and using pathos to keep a religion alive. Further clearing of this will be greatly appreciated because I do not wish to see another religion as having an evil persona. I am not trying to point out any flaws as many of my Christian friends thought, I would like to clearify my understanding about Christianity so I can better work with my fellow classmates and co-workers. My friends could not answer my question, so I was hoping Phillip or any other Christian could assist me. I felt bad beacuse I feel as if I may have offended them when I question their beliefs. Thank You. WJKK WJKF. :vaheguru:

Sorry, but I really cannot agree. I agree wholeheartedly all faiths diserve respect, and all faiths have things you can learn from. And that's the reason I'm here

But I totally disagree that all are equally true, and that they all point essentially to the same place. All religions, philosophies, faiths, spiritualities etc, speak of love, peace and brotherhood between all mankind. And all have excellent moral values. But no, all don't lead to God.

Can you please explain this? I do not see how all faiths are not true. You are saying as if I live a pure life filled with love for my fellow human being, no matter what his or her appearance or beliefs, and with love for the one universal God and attempt my best to aid men and women and live a humble life, I will not achieve salvation? If this is not what you are saying then please clarify, for I do not understand how one can boldy say that one religion is correct except their own, even if they live a saint life. I respect your view but do not see how it is possible, maybe you can help clarify. Thank you. WJKK WJKF. :vaheguru:

As above I am not here to find flaws but just to gain a better understanding of a religion which purports to be the true path.

I would like to understand how it took God 1day to create the sun and 1day to create the moon where as the moon is basically a lump of rock and the sun is so much more complex, although it is said that the moon was actually another planet that broke up and part of it got caught in the earths gravitational field, but lets not go there.

Also why did it take God 6 days to create the heavens, why not 1 day? By saying it took 6days surely we are putting a limit on his power, which we all acknowledge as being limitless. Then why did God have to rest on the 7th day, why/how did He get tired?

Sorry, one last question, - A baby is born, it breaths once and dies. Please explain.

I also have a couple questions for Phillip or anyone who is of Christian faith. My friend was telling me about Christianity, but he arrived to a story about Joshua stopping the Sun and he reversal of the Sun's course by Isaiah. I was just wondering two things, one is that wouldn't people all around the world be in complete awe and amazed at the sight of the sun stopping and moving? If so wouldn't it be widely published in many doctorines? Another question is that my friend said Isaiah reveresed the Sun's course, however, the Sun doesnt have a path around the Earth. The Earth travels around the Sun, so wouldnt Isaiah really be changing the Earth's course not the Sun's? Another thing I had a question about, was how the universe created in 6 days. Why did it take God a day to create the moon, another for the sun, another for the Earth, etc when the moon is a speck compared to the Sun? Also if god is powerful , then why so many days, why not 1? I final question that I have is how a religion can say that all other religions are false and to follow others will result in one to go into hell. This seems to me and to other atheist I know, as an intimidation and using pathos to keep a religion alive. Further clearing of this will be greatly appreciated because I do not wish to see another religion as having an evil persona. I am not trying to point out any flaws as many of my Christian friends thought, I would like to clearify my understanding about Christianity so I can better work with my fellow classmates and co-workers. My friends could not answer my question, so I was hoping Phillip or any other Christian could assist me. I felt bad beacuse I feel as if I may have offended them when I question their beliefs. Thank You. WJKK WJKF. :vaheguru:

Thank you for asking. I'l answer here, I hope it iisn't a problem for the admins (if it is you can delete it and I'll answer by private messages).

When Israel was fighting against his ennemies, Joshua prayed to God, and God stopped the course of the sun so that his people had the time to win the battle. Now, of course we know now that in fact it is the Earth that goes around the Sun, but seen from Earth, the Sun stopped. It isn't a contradiction with science, because you still say today that the Sun goes up in the morning, even if scientifically it isn't so. What really happened is that, on this single day, God (God himself, not Joshua, Joshua only prayed to God) stopped the whole course of the Universe ! All the moves of planets around stars, of moons around planets and everything else, stopped for one day to give God's people the time to beat their ennemies ! It's simply the greatest miracle of the whole Bible (or the greatest "scientific" miracle, the miracles of lives wholly changed by Jesus are far greater). And for Isaiah who made the Sun go backwards, in fact he made the shadow move backwards, which could be explained by special light conditions (that doesn't mean it isn't a miracle, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the Sun went back).

Why didn't any other people notice what happened. That's an interesting question, and in fact I never thought about it. Maybe (I say maybe, I'm not sure about this) the scientific knowledges at this time weren't enough advanced to notice what happened. When you look out of your window you don't see the Sun moving, so you wouldn't necessarily realize if it stops for a time.

And another thing : the most modern sciences have discovered that in the astronomic moves, it is as if somewhere a few hours are missing. Just as if the whole Universe stopped moving for a few hours of time. And this was most certainly the day when Joshua prayed. This was found out by the Nasa. You can read more about it on this page : http://www.reasons.org/resources/apologeti...ualongday.shtml. (The site says the 23 hours 40 minutes accounted for become a day, like the Bible says, if you count what Isaiah did. I think the Bible speaks approximately, and 23 hours 40 are approximately a day).

For your other question, I'll answer it in a second post as someone else asked the same.

As above I am not here to find flaws but just to gain a better understanding of a religion which purports to be the true path.

I would like to understand how it took God 1day to create the sun and 1day to create the moon where as the moon is basically a lump of rock and the sun is so much more complex, although it is said that the moon was actually another planet that broke up and part of it got caught in the earths gravitational field, but lets not go there.

Also why did it take God 6 days to create the heavens, why not 1 day? By saying it took 6days surely we are putting a limit on his power, which we all acknowledge as being limitless. Then why did God have to rest on the 7th day, why/how did He get tired?

Sorry, one last question, - A baby is born, it breaths once and dies. Please explain.

Of course God could have spent only one day to create the whole Universe, with no problem. But in fact further passages of the Bible give us the explanation of the creation in 7 days : he wants to give os the model of the week. The last day of the week is the Sunday (or the Saturday in other cultures, it doesn't really matter), the Day of the Lord, that has to be kept apart for him. That's why God Himself created the world in 7 days : to give us this model of the week.

And for the 7th day where God rested, it simply means he ceased to create the world, because the world is finished. And that's why we shall cease our work on the Day of the Lord, and spend this day especially for God.

For your last question : where does this occur ? I don't see what passage you're talking about ? But anyway, I suppose it can happen that a baby dies after his first breath.

Everyday is to be devoted to God... not just one day of the week... that is why a Gurdwara is open 7 days a week; our Guru's taught us that there is no 'holy' day of the week.. every day is to be used as a day of worship; morning, afternoon, and night...

whether u do that worship at home, or at temple/church/mosque or any other building of worship, the point is to still do that worship on a daily basis... having a building of worship is mostly just a means to have a group of like-minded people come together in a congregation and do their worship together as a group -- being around like-minded people helps us on the spiritual path because we feed and learn off eachothers positive energy...

Can you please explain this? I do not see how all faiths are not true. You are saying as if I live a pure life filled with love for my fellow human being, no matter what his or her appearance or beliefs, and with love for the one universal God and attempt my best to aid men and women and live a humble life, I will not achieve salvation? If this is not what you are saying then please clarify, for I do not understand how one can boldy say that one religion is correct except their own, even if they live a saint life. I respect your view but do not see how it is possible, maybe you can help clarify. Thank you. WJKK WJKF. :vaheguru:

If you can live a pure life, with always love for you fellow human being, and without one single sin, than you can be saved. That's why I believe babies who were born dead are saved, because they haven't sinned yet, so they don't deserve any punishment.

Yes, if you live a perfect life, without one single bad action and even without one bad thought, you will be saved, that's beyond all doubt. But, honestly, is there anyone on Earth who has never done anything wrong ? I don't know for you, but I know anyway for me that I have sinned. And I suppose you're the same. I suppose you've never killed anyone, I haven't either. But, have you never stolen, have you never lied, have you never said anything nasty to someone, or even thought ? I have done each of these things, and I suppose nobody can say he hasn't. The Bible says that all men have sinned, and surely it's true. And God is simply too holy to tolerate only one single sin if His presence, and He is too just to let one single sin, ever so small, unpunished. That's why by human nature all men and womed, me included, are due to Hell as a punishment for their sins. And all the good you can do simply can't help you to please God, because only one single sin is sufficient to be punished.

So, mankind is totally incapable to save itself on his own. But that's why God, who loves His creatures and doesn't want them to get lost, did Himself everything that was necessary for our salvation : He came Himself on Earth as a man, Jesus, who was at the same time entirely human and entirely God. Jesus lived, and told people about love for each other, because that is indeed what God desires from us. And Jesus is the only human being who ever lived, who actually never committed a single wrong thing : because He was God become flesh on Earth, He was without sin. But He hadn't comme to instaur a religion on Earth, and to teach his followers forever on : He came in the purpose to die for us, in ouyr place, to take on Himself the punishment of our sins. Jesus died on the cross, and He suffered the punishment that you and me diserve. But He became alive again too, and by His resurrection He has wone the victory over death for ever on. And after this He went back to Heaven, but He will come back on Earth at the end of time, to judge all men's deeds.

So today, if someone realizes he is a sinner, and he is completely lost, far away from God, and that all his efforts to live love towards others are completely vain, and who believes that Jesus has died on the cross for him personally, and accepts Him as his personal Saviour, this person is saved, and all his sins are forgiven, washed away. There's nothing at all to do to be savec : only to accept that you cant do ANYTHING, but that Jesus has already dole EVERYTHING for you. Everyone who believes this is immediately saved, and can be perfectly sure that all his sins are forgived, because Jesus already bore the punishment. All this out of pure love for you and me.

After I have accepted Jesus as my saviour, when I was 11 years old, of course I do my best to love other people, because I want to please God and to love others. But not because I believe it changes anything at all about my salvation : I am already perfectly sure that I am saved.

But there's also the other side of the message : that everyone who refuses to believe in Jesus remains under the wrath of God, and under His judgement. Even if he is ever so nice and loving.

This is a beautiful Bible verse you've quoted here. In fact it's a key verse for the whole message of the Gospel. God created man, but man has sinned, most religions in the world agree on this point. But because he loves us so much, God sent us what He had the most precious : His only Son, a part of Himself, Jesus. Jesus was God Himself who became man and lived on Earth.

This is what confuses most people; If Jesus was God's Son, how can he be God himself? and if he is God himself, why is there the concept of the 'trinity'? The concept of the trinity (father, son, and holy spirit) is separating the 3 entities, but you have said they are both one and the same? the concept of the trinity was only brought forward more then 3 centuries after the passing of Jesus at the council of Nicea

Also, I don't think any faith has any right to say that their prophet was the 'only' or the 'last' etc...

And He came to die on the cross for the sins of the whole world, for yours and mine. And so today, everything who believes Jesus died for him personally, and who accepts His sacrifice for his own sin, has all his sins forgiven and can be sure he is saved.

so is that to say that as long as a person believes Jesus to be his/her saviour, that they will be saved? seems too convenient, doesn't it? Your beliefs come from a scripture that has been altered and changed many times over history... in fact, there are no original scriptures... not to mention the original scriptures weren't even written in English; they were translated to 2 or 3 other languages before the english translation was even written -- and we all know that translating from one language to another, a lot of meaning is lost....

not to mention, there are a good number of people who believe that Jesus didn't even die on the cross... but thats a whole diff topic altogether...

point being, ur basing your beliefs from a book that was:

1. not written by Jesus

2. has no original/authentic source

3. has been altered/mistranslated over centuries

4. has many errors and contradictions

5. was compiled decades after the 'death' of Jesus

6. based on the 'vision' of some self-proclaimed saints

A tru seeker of truth will do logical research on things like this -- btw, nowhere am I denying or downgrading the being of Jesus - if he was in front of me right now, i'd Kiss his feet... however, I don't believe that the Bible is a proper/tru depiction of the message that he spread and the way he lived his life... don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good things, but a man made book cannot be called the word of God; its the word of MAN...

I have believed this about 7 years ago now, and since this instant I know, beyons all doubt : if I die now, I will be saved, not because I am better than other persons, I know I indeed am a sinner, but because Jesus has already took on Himself the wrath of God against me for my sin, and has taken on Himself the punishment for everything wrong I've done. But there also the other side of the message : everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus remains under the wrath of God because of his sins (except, of course, if you suppose you've never sinned at all, but I don't think anyone here thinks this of himself :p ), and will go to Hell if they refuse to believe until their last breath. Including Sikhs. This is not a menace, it's just a warning.

This is exactly what missionaries use to go and convert people (and i'm not saying ur a missionary or anything). But they go around and tell people "as long as u believe in Jesus, u'll be saved"... umm.. okay, so I can be an alcoholic, a druggie, a rapist etc.. but as long as i believe in Jesus i'll be saved? sounds too convenient for me... doesn't make any sense.. u have to do some logical thinking on this... when christianity first started it was very controversial and in many places 'illegal'.. once it became legalized they had to find a way to spread it fast... in my opinion, this is what happened.. in that time there was a lot of religious tension in places.. and for them to get the most followers they had to tell stories... one of them being 'Jesus died for your sins', another being "believe in Jesus as your saviour and u will be saved"... most people would probably be like "dang.. i don't have to do anything and i can be liberated? sign me up!!!"... logically speaking, it wouldn't come down to that...