Questions From A Young Christian

Philip777

for me its that you can have a personal one on one conversation with Guru Nanak Dev Ji the very founder himself, in the form of Guru Granth Sahib Ji!! On of THE integral aspects of Sikhism is "hukamnama" which is basically the order of the day recieved from Guroo Granth Sahib Ji. What happens is that a Sikh offers a prayer infront of the Guru and then the Guru is opened from a place in the middle, whatever prayer appears on the "page" (we dont actually use the term page, we call the pages "angs" or limbs as we consider the guru alive) is the order for the day, it is also taken in the evenign and also before making important decisions. I have personally experienced the hukamnama to be 100% perfect for my situation and it is clear to me that the Guru himself sat infront of me and talked back to me about what I need to do, sometimes the very words I used to make my request are actually repeated back to me in the hukamnama, so I have no doubts he is with me. Thats what really makes me love sikhism, the true sikh and guru, student and teacher relationship and who better a teacher :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MPKaurs french!! :D

Way to put her on the spot! :p I was speaking french to him so he would feel comfortable too! I just hope I didn't say anything wrong. :blush21:

No it's right ! Thank you :rolleyes:

I'd especially like to know what personally attracts you in Sikhism ?

I am not taught to believe that a Christian will go to "hell" if s/he is not Sikh.

I was taught to believe that a Christian is no less a good person as a Christian than a Sikh is as a Sikh.

Anyone is welcome to become a Sikh, but equally, I can be comfortable and respect a Christian for remaining true to his or her faith.

And Phillipe how old are you? And forgive my skepticism, .... the vast majority of "wishing to know about sikhi" from Christians is based in "wishing to convert Sikhs". Does your interest in the Sikh faith stem from the Christian message to learn about others so you can bring them to God through Christianity?

I'm curious, but not to worry, regardless of the basis of the interest, I'm sure we'll share what you need to know.

Guest peacemaker
Does your interest in the Sikh faith stem from the Christian message to learn about others so you can bring them to God through Christianity?

He said he was 18. Yes, a lot of Christians believe that Jesus is the only way to God's Kingdom, but so what? What's wrong with having that belief, so long as they don't push it on others and force them to convert to Christianity? I have known many Christians in my life and have even been to a Christian Church before and have found the pastor and congregants to be very welcoming towards Sikhism and the ideals we possess. The true "Christian message" is the undying love for God, just as it is in Sikhism.

In closing, I also don't think Sikhs should "scare" people of other faiths and say that Sikhism is the only way either and if you don't become a Sikh, you will never get out of the cycle of life and death. Scaring someone to join your religion is blasphemy and must never be spoken.

Does your interest in the Sikh faith stem from the Christian message to learn about others so you can bring them to God through Christianity?

He said he was 18. Yes, a lot of Christians believe that Jesus is the only way to God's Kingdom, but so what? What's wrong with having that belief, so long as they don't push it on others and force them to convert to Christianity? I have known many Christians in my life and have even been to a Christian Church before and have found the pastor and congregants to be very welcoming towards Sikhism and the ideals we possess. The true "Christian message" is the undying love for God, just as it is in Sikhism.

In closing, I also don't think Sikhs should "scare" people of other faiths and say that Sikhism is the only way either and if you don't become a Sikh, you will never get out of the cycle of life and death. Scaring someone to join your religion is blasphemy and must never be spoken.

did i trip some switch of yours? chill... it's unbecoming to start punching at the air?

Let the young intelligent man speak for himself here if he wishes? Maybe we'll all learn things in the process.

as for comparing our christian sensibilities, i've been to a christian camp by very kind invitation as well to churches on multiple occasions...thanks for sharing what you've learned nonetheless.

Bonjour Philippe.

Moi, je suis un Sikh de belgique. Je suis Sikh par ce que j'ai été né dans une famille Sikh. Le SIkhism est le seul religion qui dit que tous les religions sont bien, pas seulement le notre. Les musulmans disent que l'Islam est le meilleur religion, les Christians dis que leur religion c'est le meilleur... Mais dans le Gouru Granth Sahib (notre livre, comme le Koran pour les Musulmans et le Bible pour vus) il y a écrit:

Les hommes et les femmes sont EGALES.

Aucune race/nationalite est superieur.

Tous les religions sont egales.

Ici, lis ça. C'est magnifique, non? C'est une description de dieu dans notre Gouru Granth Sahib.

EK ONKAR

SAT NAM

Le Nom Est Vérité

KARTA PURAKH

Créateur Personnifié

NIRVAU

Sans peur de quel qu'un

NIRVAIR

Sans enmitié.

AKAL MURAT

Image De L'Intemporelle

AJUNI

Au delà De la Naissance

SAIBHANG

Il existe a cause de lui même

GURPRASAD

Par Grace Des Gouru's

MPKaurs french!! :D

Way to put her on the spot! :p I was speaking french to him so he would feel comfortable too! I just hope I didn't say anything wrong. :blush21:

OK here it goes :p

Bonjour Philip,

Sois le bienvenue parmi nous. J’ai grandi dans une église évangélique, et je me suis tourne vers sikhi lorsque j’étais au collège. Ce qui m’a attiré c’est le concept de l’égalité de tous les êtres humains, hommes ou femmes, blancs, rouges, bruns ou noirs; riches ou pauvres ; sikhs et non-sikhs. Enfin nous sommes tous sur le même pied d’égalité aux yeux de Dieu.

De plus, une relation personnelle avec Dieu est encouragée: nous devons tourner nos pensées vers Dieu et méditer avec amour.

Peut-être as-tu eu le temps de lire les liens qui t’ont été suggérés…si tu as des questions n’hésite surtout pas.

MPKaur