Amritdhari...need Some Real Advice

Hi people, im new to this site.

I have been amritdhari for a long time now but I have never really been comfortable with it. The main reason is because of my appearance...i dont feel confident having a long dhari and I am just not the same confident person i used to be. everytime i leave the house and walk down the street i am soo consious about how i look and i find that even when im talkin to people im thinkin about how i look to them.

I kno it might seem very vain but im struggling with it and i always have been.

if i was to cut my dhari then i wud still do my paath and do all the things that i love about sikhi but the only thing that wud be diferent wud be that i trim. i know lots of people who have broken their amrit and started on the alcohol and drugs etc etc but i wud never do that and have never thought about doing things like that.

again i know it sounds vain but i just want to feel more comfortable with my appearance.

What shall i do?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh..........

i kinda went through somthing similair, but being a bibi i can safely say i have it abit harder..........having facial hair and LOADS of it........at first dented my confidence so i used to religious wax it.............but i got to a phase whereby i was like...............the more i keep trying to get rid of it........the more it keeps coming back..............and i realised that it was ME that had the problem.........no-one else around me ever sed anything................now, for a bibi yes i have ALOT of kes on my face.......but when waheguru makes you realise its HIS kes not YOURS........i couldnt face nyself torturing my face anymore for the sake of vanity..........vanity, confidence are all subtle forms of ego.........and although i have TONNS of ego in others areas of my manmukhi jeevan... :lol: .......waheguru did kirpa in making overcome this particular issue and im sure he will with you :)

So the first step................figure out why you have lost your confidence..............is it REALY because of the beard or are there underlying issues that you have not fully confronted that are the real cause of your insecurities......

Mahraj tests us in many ways veer ji..........it is was simply the case of "oh its only kes, i still have sikhi inside me" then why did Bhai Taru's Singh Hair take on the properies of Iron that when the muslims tried to cut it, it could not be cut? Why did Waheguru do such kirpa to protect Bhai Taru Singh's Kes................

Ur Bears is your sign that You look to Yur Father Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji......and he will guide you............dont give in to kaljug..........sometimes the higher we progress up the spiritual ladder, the harder the tests become......but remember waheguru would never give u a test you could not overcome.........you just gottta reach out to him and I PROMISE YOU when you do that........HE will take care of everything.

plz feel free to PM me if you need to talk..............we all brothers and sisters of the Same Father

Bhul chuck maafi, im a papi who knows nothing

arghh! just wrote loatsss and didnt show up!!!!

but ANYWAY:

veerje.... i agree with penje above... we all go thru phases yeh... i did myself...however, u get to a point where mahraj gets u to a stage where u say

'AND WHAT??? I HAVE KES...SO???'

U GET TO A STAGE WHERE U DONT GIVE A TOSS wat ppl say :)

nxxt time u stand in front of mirror .... see Guru Gobind Singh Jees reflection and dont give a damm bout public opinions.

dhan dhan bhai taru singh jee.scalp rmeoved but NOT kes

so yeh..... do ardas.....and i hope u also reach the stage where u think 'what was the fuss about?'

:)

arghh! just wrote loatsss and didnt show up!!!!

but ANYWAY:

veerje.... i agree with penje above... we all go thru phases yeh... i did myself...however, u get to a point where mahraj gets u to a stage where u say

'AND WHAT??? I HAVE KES...SO???'

U GET TO A STAGE WHERE U DONT GIVE A TOSS wat ppl say :)

nxxt time u stand in front of mirror .... see Guru Gobind Singh Jees reflection and dont give a damm bout public opinions.

dhan dhan bhai taru singh jee.scalp rmeoved but NOT kes

so yeh..... do ardas.....and i hope u also reach the stage where u think 'what was the fuss about?'

:)

veer ji iam agree with behen ji and gupt kaur ji

go to front of mirror see youself see the photo of DASAM PITTA

main nahi dekh da menu darr lagda dekhan te uhna ton ...

main waal nahi rakhe na is layeee

Paji, a gursikh once asked me this;

'If you were alone on a deserted island, would you bother shaving or trying to look good?'

The awnser is no. No, beacuse no-one is there.

As gursikhs, we keep our kes, (aside from their beauty), because it means acceptance- accepting your true nature.

Acceptance is so important in the path of self-realisation paj, acceptance is humility, and humility means being empty, and only if you are empty can you be filled

Cutting your kes will only diconnect you from your truth even further, and the aim of Sikhi is to unite.

I dont intend to offend you by saying this paj - but do you want to be a guy who is imprisoned by the world? or do you want to be that mahaan khalsa who is liberated, beyond all sensation, and holds the world in his palm.

(also - you can never break amrit, you can only break rehit. Amrit is beyond 'breaking')

Paji, a gursikh once asked me this;

'If you were alone on a deserted island, would you bother shaving or trying to look good?'

The awnser is no. No, beacuse no-one is there.

As gursikhs, we keep our kes, (aside from their beauty), because it means acceptance- accepting your true nature.

Acceptance is so important in the path of self-realisation paj, acceptance is humility, and humility means being empty, and only if you are empty can you be filled

Cutting your kes will only diconnect you from your truth even further, and the aim of Sikhi is to unite.

I dont intend to offend you by saying this paj - but do you want to be a guy who is imprisoned by the world? or do you want to be that mahaan khalsa who is liberated, beyond all sensation, and holds the world in his palm.

(also - you can never break amrit, you can only break rehit. Amrit is beyond 'breaking')

hmmmmmmmm

i don't have hair

so i don't need to go GURDWARA. and SIMRAN & SEVA

it means i don't have right to do PATH