Amritdhari...need Some Real Advice

thanks everyone for the help....i have changi sangat...none of my friends drink...do drugs or eat meat.

What you are describing is the allusory qualities of sangat. The True Sangat is the one within who's hearts the Lord's Name abides. We will never know what is the minds of others, so we ask God to find us our sangat. "Bin Bhaaga, Sat Sang Na Labhe". This is the True meaning of this phrase, that God can align us only with those who we are in Spiritual Harmony with. Although we may not be as spiritual as Bhagats or Saints, if even for a moment we contemplate the Glorious virtues of the Lord, we are given darshan of the Divine Living 11th Guru, and through the Scriptures are in the permanent presence of the Barahmgiani of this age and for all ages, for all people. Think about it, rather be aware about it.

we all go sikh society at univeristy together etc etc....

etc. etc.

ive been taught that the reason we keep our facial hair is to show that we dont care about our appearance and that we have given up the ego...but just no matter how much i try i am still not comfortable with my appearance.

Hmm... what you have been taught, or choose to believe? Is there some underlying reasons for this self-spite? The desire for a spouse, or attractiveness towards others?

sometimes i think i might have been forced a little into taking my amrit when i was younger as i would definitly not take it at this age i am at now...but i jus need some kind of direction and i dont know where to get it from??

You have asked, and so many have responded. You will have to read and see what posts are in rapport with your desires. For all you are truly trying to do is find something to match with your perceptions of the inherent reality that your mind creates. Such is life. The real questions have not even been asked, these are the Conversations with God. Have you asked yourSelf, as in your Divine Inner Being "What is it that gives me such disstress about my appearance, Lord, and will you Guide me towards your subtle and hidden Truthful realities?", "What is it that is keeping me from being happy?"

pul chuk maaf

As above, regards

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi people, im new to this site.

I have been amritdhari for a long time now but I have never really been comfortable with it. The main reason is because of my appearance...i dont feel confident having a long dhari and I am just not the same confident person i used to be. everytime i leave the house and walk down the street i am soo consious about how i look and i find that even when im talkin to people im thinkin about how i look to them.

I kno it might seem very vain but im struggling with it and i always have been.

if i was to cut my dhari then i wud still do my paath and do all the things that i love about sikhi but the only thing that wud be diferent wud be that i trim. i know lots of people who have broken their amrit and started on the alcohol and drugs etc etc but i wud never do that and have never thought about doing things like that.

again i know it sounds vain but i just want to feel more comfortable with my appearance.

What shall i do?

Totally know how you feel. Epecially since the weather's gotten better. being an amrtidhari girl is even harder. Plus I go to a school of mostly white people who are unacustomed to turban wearing hairy females.

But then the sun shines, you wear nice simple yet femenine and graceful clothing. You hold your head up high and smile to all. Then you realise that you don't do it for others but yourself and Waheguru.

Today a lil kid at a McDonalds reataurant turned asn asked me straight out...'what's that on your head?' I love how kids say what everyone else is thinking (and I could tell they were). So i said in a loud and clear voice...'Ahem, It's called dastaar or turban and as a Sikh it is my crown which a price/princess might wear'

'OOOh I wish I had one!' was the reply.

So moral of the story = chill, take the days as they come and remember Him.

:WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW: :WW:

jau qau pRym Kylx kw cwau ] (1412-2, slok vwrW qy vDIk, mÚ 1)

ja-o ta-o paraym khaylan kaa chaa-o.

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

isru Dir qlI glI myrI Awau ] (1412-2, slok vwrW qy vDIk, mÚ 1)

sir Dhar talee galee mayree aa-o.

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

iequ mwrig pYru DrIjY ] (1412-3, slok vwrW qy vDIk, mÚ 1)

it maarag pair Dhareejai.

When you place your feet on this Path,

isru dIjY kwix n kIjY ]20] (1412-3, slok vwrW qy vDIk, mÚ 1)

sir deejai kaan na keejai. ||20||

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20||

I Used To Feel The Same (Before I Was Blessed With Maharajis Amrit) Until I Realised How Fortionate I Would Be To Have The Hand Of Sache Paatshah Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji On My Head Wherever I Go Whatever I Do. I Decided Not To Cut My Kesh Remembering How Even Satguru Gobind Singh Ji Himself Would Remove His Shoes Out Of Respect On Seeing Shaheed Gursikhs On The Ground. Back In The Day And Even In Recent History, Gursikhs Would Choose Physical Death By Torture Rather Then The Removal Of Any Kesh. Today, No Person Is Puting A Knife To Our Throats. So Why Do We Choose To Give Up Our Sacred Kesh?..

Is the problem with society or is it which your Dhari?... Is it right for you to keep a Dhari and for some poeple to dislike you because of it, or is it right to remove your Dhari to satisify the general public? Ask yourself would you rather walk around with the face of a child / woman (before i get atacked i'll state the obvious- that their is is not anything inpropper about being a child or woman)... or would you rather resemble your Farther... The one who will ensure you never face the pains of 84 lakh lives. Singh, I think your in desperate need of Sangat. Another thing i learnt was not to get stressed / pressured over society. Our primal stress should be keeping Amritvela and Rehat. In anycase Veerjee any choice you make is totally up to you... but just make sure you dont do anything you regret. Im sure glad I diddnt.

Society isnt Amar...

Sikhi is Amar...

Make No Mistake.. By Drinking (And Adhering To) Amrit You Embrace Death And Become Immortal...

Put Full Faith In Satguru Ji... Assess All Your Problems Or Issues You Have And See Where The Problem Really Lies.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

arghh! just wrote loatsss and didnt show up!!!!

but ANYWAY:

veerje.... i agree with penje above... we all go thru phases yeh... i did myself...however, u get to a point where mahraj gets u to a stage where u say

'AND WHAT??? I HAVE KES...SO???'

U GET TO A STAGE WHERE U DONT GIVE A TOSS wat ppl say :)

nxxt time u stand in front of mirror .... see Guru Gobind Singh Jees reflection and dont give a damm bout public opinions.

dhan dhan bhai taru singh jee.scalp rmeoved but NOT kes

so yeh..... do ardas.....and i hope u also reach the stage where u think 'what was the fuss about?'

:)

big up penji! thats exactly what i was gna say, but i thort i myt as well read a few replies incase anyone sed wha i goin to say, lol.

And Singh, there will be a stage that comes where u wont care about your appearance, i used to be scared to keep my kirpan out in public, i didnt know how it would look, but i thought, Sri Guru Gobindh Singh Jee GAVE this to us to help us and others, so why not be proud of having it? Guru jee gave you your kes, be happy with what he gave you, and also you should always count yourself as lucky, look at those khaalse who have hardly got any dhaari and cry to have one, and yh dont forget bhai taru singh jee, that was akaal that was. so amaaaaaazin... be proud of your identity, when i see a brother with a massive dhaari i'm like raaaaaaar! thats kirpaa that is! because here is a little info that you might not have known before:

Every hair on our body japs naam, vaaheguroo has done soooooo much kirpaa its unbelieveable, and i dont know why he has given it to us when we probably dont even deserve it (speaking for myself, lol) for every ONE time we say VAAHEGUROO, it is counted millions of times cuz we got millions of hairs on us, so ever time we say vaaheguroo we end up getting the laahaa (goodness) of saying it millions of times, your hair also acts like an aerial to vaaheguroo so its easier to stay connected to him, so the longer your hair the stronger the connection, so wha i'm tryin to say is if you cut it then trust me, it will be so much more harder for you to keep up with your baani recitation and naam jaap, you'll get easily distracted and it will be harrrd, keep the pyaar for your guru and hope to get your scalp cut off BEFORE you get you hair cut (that sounded a bit harsh, but didnt mean for it to be) dhan dhan bhai taru singh jee, akaaaaaaal!

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa, Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!!!

With regards to mskcan.....that bit about the sakhi of a man who met the 10th guru....sometimes when i do have certain feelings and think bout certain things...then there is this sense of someone watching me.... but what does that mean?

to be honest i havent got a clue bout all that allusory stuff u were talkin about and that went right over my head

the thing is that iv always been uncomfortable with my amrit since the age of like 14..now im 21 and i still feel uncomfortable about it.

Iv tried many times to go gurudwara more and try and feel more for sikhi but sometimes its just not there. I used to love sikhi soo much, i loved doing tabla, vaja, dhadh/sarangi.....but then as i grew older it just went away. Sometime i think that im just keeping my amrit to keep others happy and not "rustle any feathers" so to speak

sorry to keep going on but i dont know where else to ask people....

at a younger age i was conscious about this stuff too but eventually I learn to be proud to be different. Look around you, almost everyone follows the same life style due to what media porttrays. Media controls people like noooo 2moro! Its blind slavery. "buy this buy that, do this do that and everyone will love you." <--thats wak!

To me being unique is special and that means being differnet.

a khalsa is the purest form of a soldier. No lust, anger, pride, greed and attachment <--- Now thats wikid!

It is impossible not to feel absolutely majestic about your sikhi kes if you know why you have them. You may try to learn more about what kes is in sikhi.

If you believe you already know what kes represent well, I suggest you see a psychologist or psychiatrist for more serious underlying issues and have them addressed while you are still young. Best of luck.

It is impossible not to feel absolutely majestic about your sikhi kes if you know why you have them. You may try to learn more about what kes is in sikhi.

If you believe you already know what kes represent well, I suggest you see a psychologist or psychiatrist for more serious underlying issues and have them addressed while you are still young. Best of luck.

more serious issues? leave it out buddasingh..no need for that.