Raagi's And Kachi Bani

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh gur sangat ji.

I am really disturbed that professional raagi continue to go against Akal Thakat humamnama and perform kachi bani through recordings and on stage.

There are thousands upon thousands of shabads from our guru's, bhagats, and Bhai Gurdaas Ji yet, some of these raagis still wont stop.

I'm mostly posting this because Davinder Singh Sodhi is in my city right now and he performed kachi bani in maharaj hazoori.

I really want to approach him about it but, don't want to be rude at the same time so i'm not sure what to say.

What can be done to stop this madness, or am I making a big deal out of this for nothing???

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really disturbed that professional raagi continue to go against Akal Thakat humamnama and perform kachi bani through recordings and on stage.

There are thousands upon thousands of shabads from our guru's, bhagats, and Bhai Gurdaas Ji yet, some of these raagis still wont stop.

I'm mostly posting this because Davinder Singh Sodhi is in my city right now and he performed kachi bani in maharaj hazoori.

I really want to approach him about it but, don't want to be rude at the same time so i'm not sure what to say.

What can be done to stop this madness, or am I making a big deal out of this for nothing???

If we were all to do Kirtan in accordance to Gurmat i.e. Gurmat Sangeet we wouldnt be in this predicament now would we?

If we were all to do Kirtan in accordance to Gurmat i.e. Gurmat Sangeet we wouldnt be in this predicament now would we?

You obviously have your own agenda, but I can kind of see where you are coming from.

But, not everyone is capable of learning gurmat sangeet.

Anyways, my biggest problem with these raagi doing kachi bani is because of the obvious profit margin they're after.. People here in Canada are very lost and don't have an understanding of bani. Thus, when they hear these "kavita" they open up their wallets and these raagi's know that.

Its not only Devinder Singh Sodhi only, there are many more like, so called Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrian Kalan, Harbans Singh Jagadhari, Joginder Singh Chandan and many more.

Basic problem is no one follows Gurbani, as Gurbani says

"Satgur binaa hor kachi hai bani, bani tan kachi satgur bajhon hor kachi bani.

Kehnde kache, sunde kache, kachi aakh vakhani..........."

"Satgur ki risey hor kach pich bolde, se kudiar kude jhad padiye......"

If the sangat doesn't goes to listen these Raagis or Babas, they will stop them selves. If you want, go and talk to him politely stating what Gurbani says. One person talks then another, then another, then they will realise it.

Chardikala

You obviously have your own agenda, but I can kind of see where you are coming from.

Anyways, my biggest problem with these raagi doing kachi bani is because of the obvious profit margin they're after.. People here in Canada are very lost and don't have an understanding of bani. Thus, when they hear these "kavita" they open up their wallets and these raagi's know that.

Respected Bhai Saab,

Everyone has the capability of learning Gurmant Sangeet, because everyone has the capability to follow Gurmat. Next thing you will see people saying, oh its acceptable not to learn Gurbani because not everyone has the capability to learn it.

And yes Gurmat Sangeet is on the same spectrum as Gurbani because Gurmat Sangeet is an intergral part of Sikhi.

Regards,

Gurmat Sangeet

Its not only Devinder Singh Sodhi only, there are many more like, so called Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrian Kalan, Harbans Singh Jagadhari, Joginder Singh Chandan and many more.

Basic problem is no one follows Gurbani, as Gurbani says

"Satgur binaa hor kachi hai bani, bani tan kachi satgur bajhon hor kachi bani.

Kehnde kache, sunde kache, kachi aakh vakhani..........."

"Satgur ki risey hor kach pich bolde, se kudiar kude jhad padiye......"

If the sangat doesn't goes to listen these Raagis or Babas, they will stop them selves. If you want, go and talk to him politely stating what Gurbani says. One person talks then another, then another, then they will realise it.

Chardikala

Good post. thanks.

Respected Bhai Saab,

Everyone has the capability of learning Gurmant Sangeet, because everyone has the capability to follow Gurmat. Next thing you will see people saying, oh its acceptable not to learn Gurbani because not everyone has the capability to learn it.

And yes Gurmat Sangeet is on the same spectrum as Gurbani because Gurmat Sangeet is an intergral part of Sikhi.

Regards,

Gurmat Sangeet

We've had this raag vs non-raag debate too many times on here so I hope this doesn't start up again.

Gurbani is gurbani...I don't see a problem with citing gurbani on a harmonium.

We've had this raag vs non-raag debate too many times on here so I hope this doesn't start up again.

Gurbani is gurbani...I don't see a problem with citing gurbani on a harmonium.

Bhai Saab Ji,

This isnt about reciting Gurbani on the Harmonium, but about following fundamental principles such as reciting Gurbani in the Raag it is written in, for Raags are there for a reason.

By all means recite Gurbani on Harmonium, we have already forsaken Satgurus given Saaj lets at least try to uphold his hukkam.

I agree with you, but you have said professional Raagis go against Akal Thakt hukamnama. One flaw in that is that Raagis only sing Gurbani in Raag and the example you have given (Bhai Davinder Singh Sodhi) is not technically a Raagi since he rarely sings in Raag. Therefore I beleive that the word Keertanyia should have been used :)

Just my two cents .

I agree with you, but you have said professional Raagis go against Akal Thakt hukamnama. One flaw in that is that Raagis only sing Gurbani in Raag and the example you have given (Bhai Davinder Singh Sodhi) is not technically a Raagi since he rarely sngs in Raag. Therefore I beleive that word Keertanyia should have been used :)

Just my two cents .

You are right.

ive asked gursikhs about this if people sing kachi bani in front of maharaj's hajooree they shouldnt be allowed to do kirtan again at that place and your local sangat should know what they are doing. my response to "gurmat sangeet" gurbani is about love if someone doesnt want to do it raag thats upto them doesnt mean they'll sing kachi bani nw?