What Are The Roles Of The Gurdwaras?

Naam Japo

Following on from the topic of how Gurdwaras are managed. I want to discuss what people think the roles of the Gurdwaras are in England or the West. The Gurdwaras obviously have a religious role but is this only booking Akhand Paths and giving out Siropas or is there more? Does the Gurdwara have any social or political roles in society and perhaps a responsibility/role in wider society?

Interesting discussion.

At moment I think some Gurdwaras are not bothered on interacting with the Sikh youth or women, let alone interacting with non-Sikhs. Nice if someone could share a few examples of Gurdwaras that have good practice and role models for others.

At moment I think some Gurdwaras are not bothered on interacting with the Sikh youth or women, let alone interacting with non-Sikhs. Nice if someone could share a few examples of Gurdwaras that have good practice and role models for others.

then what is their priority ?

Following on from the topic of how Gurdwaras are managed. I want to discuss what people think the roles of the Gurdwaras are in England or the West. The Gurdwaras obviously have a religious role but is this only booking Akhand Paths and giving out Siropas or is there more? Does the Gurdwara have any social or political roles in society and perhaps a responsibility/role in wider society?

Interesting discussion.

The pessimist always sees the glass as half empty, never half full! The Gurdwaras are not failing anyone, we are failing to understand what the Gurdwara can give us!

Interesting discussion.

The pessimist always sees the glass as half empty, never half full! The Gurdwaras are not failing anyone, we are failing to understand what the Gurdwara can give us!

I disagree completely. The elected committee have a duty to those who elected them.

The gurdwara ought to be the focal point of every sikh's life, but it isn't these days. usually, it is just a place that the vast majority of ppl go, do matha thek and leave.

These are a few things I think they could do:

1. stop charging people for things like funerals (going to someone's house and doing kirtan sohila)
  2. stop letting ppl gossip chill n' chat in front of guru ji - instead, have someone there explaining paath to anyone who'll listen.
  3. organising free legal advice for the panth. There are plenty of sikhs out there who'd give their time up for seva, but the imputus must be on the central point of the sikh community to arrange and organise this
  4. start running health campaigns. how many of u know know that thalassaemia is found in 1/15 sikhs? how many of u know that because of this, every (and i mean EVERY) sikh couple should be having a blood test to detect it prior to having a baby? (the advert has run on zee tv for a very long time but i don't think many ppl listen to it).
  5. another health promotion, the gurdwareh ought to be encouraging healthy eating in the langar hall and be giving advice on diet and health by again getting the panth who are qualified in health to come in and give this advice.
  6. holding punjabi classes by people who can teach and who can teach well (not just an aunty who thinks she'll have a go!) i'm aware that a lot of gurdwareh already do this
  7. by having transparent elections and not competing with neighbouring gurdwareh for sangat and donations (>coughs< southall gurdwareh...>coughs<)
  8. arranging sikh youths and adults to do community work. even if it is picking up local litter i think it is important and i know that if my gurdwara ran a scheme i'd be happy to do it.
  9. taking a stand in domestic violence and alcohoism - two issues which plague sikh communities
  10. use the skills of the panth to help the panth (e.g. if there is a family who're poor and feel they've been screwed over by a builder or electrician, get a member of the panth who's a professional to make sure their house is safe, or to fix the odd leak etc)

there are some amazing gurdwareh out there from what i've experienced, but i'm just intrigued as to how they can be improved. tbh, i've volunteered some of these suggestions and would even like to organise some, but i feel like they're not welcomed by my local gurdwara. once i qualify i will 100% be offering my skills as a medic to the panth

any more ideas on improvements?