Meaning Of 'daas'

Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji Ke Fateh

I just wanted to have a discussion on the term 'Daas'. The reason for this is that I have seen a lot of people use this freely these days

To me (and this might be wrong so dont start slandering) 'Daas' means 'Slave of God'. Somebody who totally has the five theives under control. It is a high honour and only very very spiritual people should use it.

If I'm wrong please tell me or could you point me to a place where there is more information

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸੁ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਗੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਧੂਰੇ ॥੪॥੫॥ naanak daas ihai sukh maagai mo ka-o kar santan kee Dhooray. ((4)(5))

Nanak, Your slave, begs for this happiness: let me be the dust of the feet of the Saints. ((4)(5))

According to the Kirtan Sohilaa Sahib 'Daas' does in fact mean to be the slave of GuruJi. Therefore referring to the quote, if im not mistaken in order to be the slave of GuruJi one must become the dust of the feet of the Saints. Thus perhaps indicating what you said that one must ought to rid oneself of the five vices. Though it may also suggest to do seva, simran, living life according to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, etc.

Sorry for any mistakes, im still learning. :)

Rid of five thieves/ five thieves under control maybe more appropriate as I don't think the objective is to rid five thieves as they are required when they are under control

e.g anger on the battle field or attachment when looking after family

I might be wrong

Anyway thanks.....<

Rid of five thieves/ five thieves under control maybe more appropriate as I don't think the objective is to rid five thieves as they are required when they are under control

e.g anger on the battle field or attachment when looking after family

I might be wrong

Anyway thanks.....<

Yea, 'suppressing' the five thieves sounds more achievable though I would think that a 'Daas' would have to rid these five thieves completely in order to be truly blessed with the status of GuruJi's slave. (Just my opionion) However, it's been stated in the Bani many times that those who can do this are very rare.

i have so far learned that the goal is not to rid oneself of the five, as that is not possible, but the goal is to make them your slaves rather than be slaves to them.

the five are bad when we make them bad. use them for good.

kaam, for procreation not recreation.

krodh, for sticking up for people, not for putting down people.

lobh, to strive to succeed and vand ke shakna, rather than to exploit and feed oneself only

moh, to love everyone, and not only some

hankaar, to feel proud to be alive, and not just proud

if you recall anand sahib:

pMc dUq quDu vis kIqy kwlu kMtku mwirAw ]

panch dhooth thudh vas keethae kaal kanttak maariaa |

Through You, we subdue the five demons of desire, and slay Death, the torturer.

peace.