Which Rehit?

Simran9

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wondering about whether Amritdhari Sikhs can eat meat or not?

I have read in Sikh Rehit Maryada books approved by SGPC that Sikhs are not to eat meat that is Halal (killed and cut the Muslim way). What about meat that is cut the Sikh way, I mean how the Gurus said it should be done, a quick clean cut :T: ?

Other thing is, if we are NOT supposed to eat meat, i don't get that because some of our Gurus used to go on Shikaar and hunting and ate meat :T: . My source on that is my Babaji who read that in one of our books at home. Also a story about Maado Das ji who was a vegetarian and then I forget which Guru it was but he changed this dude's name to whatever it was before to Maado Das ji when he began eating meat after they went on Shikaar. Someone correct me cuz I know I have errors in this story of Maado Das ji probably.

Other thing is, if we are NOT supposed to eat meat, i don't get that because some of our Gurus used to go on Shikaar and hunting and ate meat :T: . My source on that is my Babaji who read that in one of our books at home. Also a story about Maado Das ji who was a vegetarian and then I forget which Guru it was but he changed this dude's name to whatever it was before to Maado Das ji when he began eating meat after they went on Shikaar. Someone correct me cuz I know I have errors in this story of Maado Das ji probably.

http://www.panthkhalsa.org/rahit/rahit_hunt.html

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guest mehtab

ok this is how i look at it

* Akal Takht leaves it upto the Sikh to follow certain things like ragmala/keski/meat.

* Damdami Taksal gives women the freedom to wear keski/dastaar or not. They do awsome katha and Gurbani uchaaran.

* Nanaksar (from what i have read on this forum) has a different rehit for bibiaan, but they are the best when it comes to doing sewa of SGGS.

* AKJ do amazing simran and naam dridd during Amrit sanchaars is followed by them (dunno if other jathas/samparda do it or not...plzz lemme know if any others do the same). Also, they make it mandatory for bibiaan to wear keski, and dastaar is for both males n females, which is the best example of gender equality in Sikhi.

* Dodra : i dunno much about them :) . please lemme know

* Nihangs : know a little bit and more info is always welcome :@

* other jathe : i love u too :wub:

so basically, we can and shud follow the best points of all jathe.

plzz correct me if i have gone wrong anywhere, and also i wanna know more. i have myself been severely confused on issues as to which jatha is best to take amrit from :@ ...see how seriously dum i m blush.gif ...amrit is amrit ^_^ ...dunno why my stupid manmukh mind wont get that :wub: @

Other thing is, if we are NOT supposed to eat meat, i don't get that because some of our Gurus used to go on Shikaar and hunting and ate meat  :T:  . My source on that is my Babaji who read that in one of our books at home. Also a story about Maado Das ji who was a vegetarian and then I forget which Guru it was but he changed this dude's name to whatever it was before to Maado Das ji when he began eating meat after they went on Shikaar. Someone correct me cuz I know I have errors in this story of Maado Das ji probably.

http://www.panthkhalsa.org/rahit/rahit_hunt.html

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Thnx for the link.It was really informative.but one thing which is not addressed here is the hunting by guru ji's sikhs.I have read somewhere t

hat Sikhs use to do hunting too.Plz let us know if u know about this thing.

THNX

I have followed almost every major "rehit" in out there at some point in my life. I received amrit at an amrit sinchar run according to the SGPC maryada, peshed in Taksal and later on peshed in the Jatha.

My understanding is this: we need to understand that rehit is not of any group. Rehit has to be Khalsa Rehit. My allegiance is not with any group, it's to rehit. The "Akal Takhat" maryada strikes me as being a document which tries its best to bring about unity among different jathas and ideologies. They are the only maryada which claims only 3 banis are mandatory and give lenience on ragmala, keskee, meat, etc. I think that this rehit is a bare minimum and almost every jathebandi meets this as a standard. But personally I didn't find it to be bringing me much spritual peace or upliftment.

After a lot of research, I came to certain conclusions: naam was the essence of amrit and the rehit which focussed on naam and totally explained it was important. I also came to the conclusion after research that keski was a rehit for men and women. I believe in bibek as well. The rehit which seems most authentic to me seems to be the one preserved in the Jatha (AKJ). People might try to say this is a new group, and as a formal "jatha" it is fairly new (1910 and onwards), but the rehit they keep is not new. It is the most puraatan one that has been passed down through the generations. This is why they focus so much on sarbloh and especially on naam.

All I understand is this: naam is the most important part of being amritdhari. And Jatha is the only group which focuses on it so much and teaches the person how to meditate on it. But like I said before, my alle

giance is to rehit. It just happens that I feel the Jatha is the group which has the most authentic version of it.