Guns In 18th Century

Guns or firearms were pretty much common in the 18th century but what I have heard that singhs in the 18th century were very expert in swordsmanship but if guns were pretty common in 18th century, dint it undermine the importance of a sword in wars ?

Whenever I see any puratan shastars, I see mostly kirpans(of various types) and khandas, but very few guns.

Guns or firearms were pretty much common in the 18th century but what I have heard that singhs in the 18th century were very expert in swordsmanship but if guns were pretty common in 18th century, dint it undermine the importance of a sword in wars ?

Whenever I see any puratan shastars, I see mostly kirpans(of various types) and khandas, but very few guns.

They were rather slow to load etc and not the 40+ practical rounds per minute of todays assault rifles. By the time you loaded up etc a swordsman could have your head off.

puraatan sikhs used to be armed with matchlocks (primitive guns) in addition to chakras, kirpans etc

puraatan sikhs used to be armed with matchlocks (primitive guns) in addition to chakras, kirpans etc

:TH:

tuks from Sri Dasam Granth

ਸਾਂਗ ਸਰੋਹੀ ਸੈਫ ਅਸ ਤੀਰ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਲਵਾਰ ॥ ਸੱਤ੍ਰਾਂਤਕ ਕਵਚਾਂਤਿ ਕਰ ਕਰੀਐ ਰੱਛ ਹਮਾਰ ॥੧॥

सांग सरोही सैफ अस तीर तुपक तलवार ॥ स्त्रांतक कवचांति कर करीऐ ्रछ हमार ॥१॥

O Lord ! Protect us by creating Saang, Sarohi, Saif (Sword), As, Teer (arrow) tupak (gun), Talwaar (sword), and other weapons and armours causing the destruction of the enemies.1.

ਅਸ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਧਾਰਾਧਰੀ ਸੈਲ ਸੂਫ ਜਮਦਾਢ ॥ ਕਵਚਾਂਤਕ ਸੱਤ੍ਰਾਂਤ ਕਰ ਤੇਗ ਤੀਰ ਧਰਬਾਢ ॥੨॥

अस क्रिपान धाराधरी सैल सूफ जमदाढ ॥ कवचांतक स्त्रांत कर तेग तीर धरबाढ ॥२॥

O Lord ! Creat As, Kripan (sword), Dharaddhari, Sail, Soof, Jamaadh, Tegh (saber), Teer (saber), Teer (arrow), Talwar(sward), causing the destruction of armours and enemies.2.

ਅਸ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਖੰਡੋ ਖੜਗ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਬਰ ਅਰੁ ਤੀਰ ॥ ਸੈਫ ਸਰੋਹੀ ਸੈਹਥੀ ਯਹੈ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਪੀਰ ॥੩॥

अस क्रिपान खंडो खड़ग तुपक तबर अरु तीर ॥ सैफ सरोही सैहथी यहै हमारै पीर ॥३॥

As, Kripan (sword), Khanda, Khadag (sword), Tupak (gun), Tabar (hatched), Teer (arrow), Saif (sword), Sarohi and Saihathi, all these are our adorable seniors.3.