A Sikh In Canada/usa

PanesarV

I'm a 17 year old sikh boy. In a few years, I'll be out there looking for a job. I want to be an Engineer. Looking to go to a good university.

I don't know if I'll face a problem because of my turban/beard.

Are there any engineers or professionals on this site working in Canada/USA with their Turban. Please post your experience. Do you face any problems here?

Thank You

Guest Cobra_Commander

You won't really face any problems, but if your sikhi isn't that strong and if you're around a lot of clean shaven people, you'll feel like being one of them too. I've had it happen to me many times where I've felt like having a trim.

Same here, I am going for MS in USA in 2010 , I am also a bit concerned if I would have problems with my turban and beard , Are there any known engineers/professionals working in USA with their swaroop intact??? , What kind of challenges will I have to face if I carry on my swaroop with me.And suppose I go for an interview , would they be partial/impartial to me?

Same here, I am going for MS in USA in 2010 , I am also a bit concerned if I would have problems with my turban and beard , Are there any known engineers/professionals working in USA with their swaroop intact??? , What kind of challenges will I have to face if I carry on my swaroop with me.And suppose I go for an interview , would they be partial/impartial to me?

there are numerous sikh professionals in both countries. you need not worry. for interviews, you may face some discrimination, but this is the same in any place anywhere.

biggest challenge is just people looking at you different sometimes.

Thanks a lot for your opinions everybody.

I would also like to hear people's experience who have worked/working in USA/Canada. I'm mostly looking to stay in Canada [a very nice country IMO...after living 3 years...Not a single act of Racism....Less racism faced than in Punjab, India].....

Personal experiences in USA/Canada, anyone?

Thank You

There are many Sikh Saroop individuals I know who are Tech/Engineer industries. My friend recently got a job with Microsoft in Seattle, and they had no qualms about his appearance.

As Sikh Coalition states: Be ever vigilant in practice of your faith,

if you have any issues report it to the likes of

Sikhcoalition.org

Saldef

and other organisations.

Also, look at:

http://www.mrsikhnet.com/index.php/2007/05...h-professional/