Rakhri Selling Shops In Southall?

Guest Guest

Guest low_profile_id
maybe u should read the story of bebe nanki tying rakhri.

Can you please direct me to the Puratan Granth/Rehitnama's that narrate the story of Bebe Nanaki Jee tying a rakhri to Guroo Nanak Dev Jee ?

Yes!! londonjatt tell us where to read this story from. Give a credible source...Please!!!!

londonjatt veerji can i get some kinda proof on what you said about Bebe Nanaki .. If you just typed it without any substantial evidence please say so. I am very curious about the statement yous made.

Dhanwaad : )

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Malfion
calm down everyone!!!!

its JUST A colourful thread :p ........ wats the point??

we're arguing over sillyyyy minor stuff........ dont wear it, dont buy it, end of : )... if u still wana buy it, then carry on! but i dont see the point!

how hard can it be? lol

what's the point in doing anything in life?

Well, it doesn't matter what you do unless you believe in it. I honestly didn't care about Rakhris, but got them anyway, and they all fell off within the next few hours.

Waheguru gave us freedom to do whatever we wanted that was right, as long as we did seva ,etc.

Theres nothing wrong with tradition. The family would have spent their time doing something else,like watching a movie or whatever.

Its here the annual rakhri threads(i know im a bit late lol). Seriously i think apne are the only ones that want to make things more complicated for ourselves and others. Rakhri got nothing to do with sikhi so i dont realy get why sikhs celebrate it, its a hindu festival(not that theres anything wrong with it) but its dosnt have anything to do with sikhi....

oh and dont want to start another issue but people that celebrate rakhri can u please tell me whats stopping you from doing/celebrating karva chauth???? just curious nothing else.

The festival occasion of Rakhri is more commonly known as Raksha Bandhan through out Northern India. The occasion celebrates the emotional bonding between brother and sister where the sister ties a holy thread around her brother's wrist. This thread, which pulsates with sisterly love and sublime sentiments, is rightly called the ‘Rakhi’ or 'Rakhri' in Panjabi. It means 'a bond of protection'. The ritual is observed on the full moon day in the month of Sawan, on which sisters tie the sacred Rakhri string on their brothers' right wrists, and pray for their long life.

The reasons why some Sikhs object to this practice is that it reinforces the concept that women are inferior to men and are not capable of protecting their "patt" or dignity so therefore, women are dependent on men as their saviours. In Sikhism, Guru Sahib has given equal rights to both women and men. The brave spirit of the Khalsa is not only reserved for men but can also be instilled in women through khande pahul da amrit.

Whereas these reasons to defy the practice of rakhri are understandable and justified, Rakhri still remains a common annual practice celebrated within many Panjabi Sikh households. Unfortunately, its become one of those festivals which has gradually crept itself into Sikhi over the years and many Sikhs fail to distinguish it from Panjabi culture (similar to Lohri and Diwali). The fact of the matter is that many Sikhs don't see the practice of Rakhri as representing women being weak. Instead they see it as a resemblance of unity and love between a brother and sister.

Whats the solution? First off, don't shun away any Sikhs who still observe Rakhri. Instead, we should educate them and tell them that these kind of rituals are not part of gurmat. If still they fail to consider the logic, then by all means let them go ahead and celebrate Rakhri. There's no need to take an offensive approach towards this issue.

Rakhri and the history or mythology behind it smacks of Brahmanical Ideology. I had sent clear directions to my sister not to send me any rakhri in 2006 she did even though i advised her not to. In 2007 she didn't though she was crossed wiv me and a bit upset. This year she's fine, she already knows what she gotto do- nothing. But i am happy, at least one brahmanical practice has been uprooted from our home.

If we don't stop these manmat practices they form a chain and continue for generations and set precedents- afterall it's manmat- doesn't need any kamai. By performing these silly rituals not only are we encouraging brahmanism, deforming our own culture but also contradicting Sikhism. We don't need a hukamnama for every small thing. Anyone with reasonably good amount of knowledge on sikhi and gurbani can easily tell that it's Manmat.

We hardly remember all our Gurpurabs, shaheedi divas' but Rakhris, Lohris we hardly forget and celebrate them with huge enthusiasm. What a shame !!!!!

Guest puttsardaranda
I think it's hilarious how some of the religious wingnuts will even use a simple inquiry like rakhri to fan their own egoes since they're 'above' such practices and then get on their anti-gurmat soapbox to impress everyone on how 'enlightened' they are and use it as an opportunity to lecture others, fyi to all of you, you're not Gurus, so stop acting like it.

I agree a lot of these people need to get off their high horse and snap back to reality.

Guest puttsardaranda
calm down everyone!!!!

its JUST A colourful thread :p ........ wats the point??

we're arguing over sillyyyy minor stuff........ dont wear it, dont buy it, end of : )... if u still wana buy it, then carry on! but i dont see the point!

how hard can it be? lol

why do you call it silly? what if someone called pagri silly? people are too judgemental.

maybe u should read the story of bebe nanki tying rakhri.

Can you please direct me to the Puratan Granth/Rehitnama's that narrate the story of Bebe Nanaki Jee tying a rakhri to Guroo Nanak Dev Jee ?

Yes!! londonjatt tell us where to read this story from. Give a credible source...Please!!!!

londonjatt veerji can i get some kinda proof on what you said about Bebe Nanaki .. If you just typed it without any substantial evidence please say so. I am very curious about the statement yous made.

Dhanwaad : )

Reply ta kar de veera : )