Bollywoods 2nd 'sikh' Film After Singh Is Kinng

Sanjay Dutt and Bunty Walia are making a film based on the Battle of Saragarhi. Sanjay Dutt and Bunty Walia have joined hands to produce a period film based on the battle of Saragarhi. The film titled, 21 Battle of Saragarhi- From Ashes to Glory, will be produced under the banner of Sanjay Dutt Productions and G S Entertainment. Rohit Jugraj (who directed James for Ram Gopal Varma) will direct the film.

Sanjay who is the lead actor, will play Havildar Ishar Singh, who led the Sikh onslaught in that battle. Twenty other actors have to be roped in for the film. All the actors will undergo intensive training to build their physique before they start shooting for the film.

A few days ago, Sanjay, Bunty and Rohit even met the Information & Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjandas Munshi and the Defence Minister A K Antony. The meeting took place in Delhi. Bunty says, "We didn’t want to make a sketchy film. Hence, we had a meeting with Mr Munshi and Mr Antony. They loved our audio-video presentation."

The idea to make a film on the battle of Saragarhi was in Bunty’s mind since a long time. Bunty says, "I am a Sikh and since many years, I wanted to tell this brave story of the Sikhs to the world. Rohit broached this subject with me recently and asked if we could make a film on this and I knew that my dream had been realised."

How did Sanju come into the picture? Bunty then spoke to Sanjay about Rohit’s idea. He told Sanju that he wanted him to play Havildar Ishar Singh. "Sanju loved the story. He said that he would love to produce this film too," adds Bunty.

The film will have rich special effects. A lot of technicians from abroad are on board and some of the technicians have also assisted on the Hollywood film 300. This film would easily pass as one of the costliest film ever made in Bollywood since the budget is estimated to be around Rs 200 crore.

Bunty laughs and says, "We have to pay 21 actors for this film. Add this to the fact that we will be shooting in Morocco because the topography of Morocco is quite similar to the topography of the North West Province where the Battle of Saragarhi took place." An excited Rohit says, "It is an honour to make a film about 21 unsung heroes who made history but are hardly spoken about till date."

He adds, "I have contacted Chris Watts who was the special effects supervisor of 300. I am also in talks with cinematographer Christopher Doyle (of Lady in Water) who is settled in Korea. We will have at least nine big actors from Bollywood. A lot of pre-production is required in this film, so it will take some time before it goes on the floors. But frankly, I just can’t wait. I am extremely kicked about making this film which is based on history."

Great stuff. Singha di kaum bahadur.

and there is no worry about singhs being portrayed badly in this film, india always makes a note to show sikhs at their best when defending bharat mata lool. Thats probably the only negative thing, probably going to add some OTT patriotic stuff in.

i wanna c some real singhs 4 once

I hope tell the storey factually and do not give it anti Pakistan/Muslim undertones. They should make a film on the Anglo Sikh wars maybe the Batlle of Chillianwalla where the British lost, but then India would have to be shown fighting against the Sikhs with Britain.