What Is Happening To Sikh Youths?

Ashana

ahana you yerself just said in the first post that he cheated on you with sleeping around with other girls etc.

You were adding fuel to his fire. He was stealing , high on drugs and he was drinking alot etc what were you doing????? were you just conversating with him while he was shooting up smack etc ???? or were you helping him with an alternative environment during your "visits"

You not indian or Sikh but went to India for a date etc???????

too me it sounds like bonny and clyde and you jus quit the friendship.

Punjabi and Sikh needs to be separated by a universe or then indian problems will remain indian problems, there also is alot of racism so certain Sikhs cant go around teaching nobody nothing cause then they say you think yer better than everyone else. **( If I dont drink and you do means I am a worse Sikh??))**

Each person has a fight to endure until death, once you give up the fight then you lose. People that convert from Sikh just never paid attention.

Alot of christian missionaries plotting on Punjab would post threads like this also for insider info. (*)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keerpa, I am sorry but it is hardly necessary to post personal attacks here when you have no idea on the background info. This was a long distance friendship and no, I have not and do not go to India for 'dates' nor anywhere. Neither am I a Christian nor a missionary trying to write bogus posts here. I was only doing what I can from where I am to help someone understand what they were doing.

I am constantly amazed sometimes at people's attitudes when issues of their community are raised. There is a problem with many youths in your community. Face it.

Bonnie & Clyde? - if only people have any idea how strained and stressful it is to try to get someone off alcohol and drug addiction problems. You can only do so much but in the end people have to want to change themselves. Ambit, a safe environment, mentors and people to look up to also need to be present.

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:kvY8c...;cd=5&gl=au

Excuse me, but not being a Sikh or Indian, I would like to express my frustration, concerns and views here. I would be much interested in your opinions.

You see, I have just ended a friendship with a Punjabi Jatt living in India whom I did care for greatly. He was doing drugs and drinking copious amounts of alcohol daily and throughout our friendship I have tried to get him off this kind of addiction and to make him understand what he was doing.

Initially, he had my trust and listened to my thoughts and made some changes with himself, however soon he was back influenced by his friends, who were all into the gangster culture, drinking and drugs also. Now he is back on the stuff and I feel that I could not help him no more and I gave him all that I could. Besides that, previously he was also doing stealing, selling drugs and cheating on me by sleeping with girls and also telling me a huge amount of lies.

His parents seems to not bat an eyelid to what is happening and the father often appears to gets drunk himself. I assume there is some domestic violence also. Money is given this friend of mine by his parents haphazardly and of course, he would spend it on drink and smoke. This guy is a young fellow too. Where are parents responsibility and supervision?

When I do research on the net about Punjab and Punjabis, all I see is how its people and place has become a drug ridden state with so many youths falling into being drug addicts and alcoholics with no future. Even in Chandigarh, they are supposedly wanting to make it a 'smoke-free' (tobacco-free) city but why is nothing done to curb the amount of alcohol and drug problems? The key stereotypes out there for Punjabis is that they are big drinkers, druggies, theives, cheaters, gangsters and wife beaters and Sikh temples are where you get free alcohol and where gangster wannabes meet.

You guys are meant to be historically warriors and strong, educated, moral people. Are you all happy with this kind of image today? Why are authorities and head of Sikhs not doing more to solve problems? Note that I am not targeting the Sikh religion itself as I have since read alot about the religion and have great respect for it, however, I am just wondering why superiors are letting so many awful problems escalate as much as it has and doing little about it.

It just makes me so sad and angry that my friend, who could have made a good life for himself by choosing a better path and had so much potential, is so surrounded by such a disgraceful environment that he had little chance to change. Sadly I can only imagine what might become of his life.

I can understand your frustrations after breaking up with a guy for whom you care a lot and are watching his life on a serious decline and his family doing nothing about it.

But it all depends on different individuals, and again individuals that constitute a family.

For example i am from a Agriculturist famlily (jatt, if u like to call as a profession not as a caste) But my parents were the strictest in the world, i feel. Let alone for drugs, alcohol or anything i was usually reprimanded for merely hanging out with guys who didn't have high character as all my mates, and me of course were typical youngsters chasing girls and all that kind of stuff. I still remember how i nearly escaped a beating from my mother after a girl called at our landline (as i didnt have a mobile) and sought to talk to me. I had to be accountable for the time i spent outside home and also for pocket money i used to get from my parents.

So there are different people and you just can't categorise. There a lots of Amritdhari or even decent jatts (by proffession) or punjabis and not as low as you stated. It's just a misfortune that you encountered a guy who and whose family frm what i can assume after what you stated about him is that didn't have a very high moral character.

What you said about Punjab and Punjabis is partially true. Yes. it's a drug ridden state and those who drink do drink heavily, maybe coz punjabis are physically strong and can take in huge amounts of alcohol. Even once i asked my canadian chacha how can he drink so much everyday and he said first three shots are mere starters and the game starts afterwards. And mind you he only drinks spirits(whisky, vodkas, rum etc). not beers or wines coz he says they just don't act but in sharp contrast some other relatives are non- drinkers and strictly vegetearian, so it all differs on individuals.

But i'd strongly argue and deny categorically what you went on to say after that. Maybe your research might have included a few bollywood flicks as well which have made us such stereotypes druggies ,thieves, cheaters, gangsters, wife beaters. By druggies if u mean merely taking drugs then it's fine but if you are comparing youth with typical shoplifter style druggies you are wrong coz most of the drug addictes youth are from well-off families and keep recreational drugs for self pleasure . And which research did help you conclude that they are thieves, cheaters, wife beaters and how many gurdwaras are there which serve free alcohol and where wannabe gangsters meet? Absolutely wrong. Thats a huge exaggeration of facts.

As far as you said leaders not doing anything you are right. Our community is strongly under watchful eyes of Indian government, they just don't want community to be aware coz if Sikhs are aware then demand for a seperate state will always rise and india cant afford that at any cost. So their plan is to let punjab grapple with such kind of social evils and to help do that they are also distorting our history and destroying our culture. And they are doing that very effectively by controlling our politicians and religious institutions by installing puppets there who hardly do any good for community. People are fighting but problem is issues are massive and huge in number and people confronting them are very little and to add to that younger generation are flying abroad for greener pastures.

Ashana,

Since you've been doing some research, what is your perspective on the cause of sikhs facing such social issues despite the teachings and history that of the faith?

Would be interesting to know your perspective.

I guess there seems to be so many factors contributing to this. You can tell me whether I am right or wrong.

1. Youth are turning away from their faith or just don't know what faith is anymore. Punjab - how many male youths no longer wear turbans even and have cut their hair? Like many other religions, youths are turning away from religion believing it is antiquated, restrictive and backward. They just want to fit into their crowds and whatever is seen as fashionable and acceptable by their friends these days. Perhaps is there such a strong focus on what a Sikh must wear and not eat, that there have been a neglect of teaching of core principles - what is moral and what are good personal values? Youths are so succumbed to peer pressure. This is what happened to my friend. They don't have enough strength within themselves to understand what are the right things to do and stand up to what they believe in and against the things that are wrong.

2. Lack of mentors. Religious leaders, politicians, authorities....but I blame mostly parents who don't demonstrate good faith and values themselves to their children. Then it just becomes a vicious cycle for future generations.

3. Contradiction between religion and reality. My example is alcohol. As I understand it, it is forbidden in Sikhism but have a read about Chandigarh and read how much clubs and bars are popping up around the city. Why are some Sikh weddings and parties known primarily by the amount of whisky that is served and why are Punjabi Sikhs known to be particularly good drinkers? All this is seen as acceptable by society but contradicts what the faith allows.

4. State and central governments not doing enough to recognise problems and are often corrupt themselves. There appears to have been a prolonged period of neglect of the state of Punjab to the extent that things have escalated to what it has now (is there a turning back??). There are so many stories about politicans, high officials and policemen taking part in drugs and running rackets there. Where are the anti-drug, anti-alcohol campaigns? Are these being taught in schools? Where are detox clinics? Not enough is spent on education and ways to boost employment also. Youths in Punjab then sit around idle with drink and drugs to past the time and have little focus on how to get a good education and career. Sometimes when there are problems in society, people like to turn a blind eye and say it doesn't exist. Is this what is happening?

5. Sudden change in economy and wealth for some individuals. Green revolution and increase in land value making alot of previously poor farmers very wealthy but then they don't know what to do with the new found money and aren't very educated. Wealthy parents just give money to their children who then spend it drugs, booze, sex and partying at clubs.

6. Culture. Influences from both western and Punjabi culture. Isn't it true that most Punjabi bhangra songs are about gangsters and daru? What does this promote? For example, I am sitting here typing this away and I see the Picture of the Week on this website has someone holding a machine gun....this is what is presented.

I guess these are just some of the things. There are many others. Basically I am saying it is not enough to just have teachings about the faith and history if no one follows it and there is not a good environment to practice it.

The main problem, in terms of India and Punjabi is the culture "Sikhi" is being brought up in. One aspect is the whole "religion vs. culture" thing within sikhi like you pointed out, but you also have us living as minority amongst many other groups of people, but namely, Hindus. The amount of influence hinduism has on Sikh principles within schools, at work, gurdwaras and every day life, is UNBELIEVABLE ! Over that you also got the RSS pushing their agendas. This in itself is a HUGE problem for Sikhs in India, where we living in the west have in somewhat way, more 'freedom'.

Should I also point out that not only in India, but I have also read articles about Punjabi Sikhs making similar headlines in Canada (primarily Vancouver, BC) where many Sikh youth continue with their gangster culture, drug smuggling and crime. So even though these youths have moved (or were born) to/in the west and the religion is free from interference from politicans and Hinduism, behaviour is the same.

The reasoning can be on the same lines. Their parents are from india, the same that have been brought up in society with mix culture/religious/hindu teachings. It all goes back to the parents, if they are not teaching their kids how to live in society, adapt to society and mix with other groups of people, then the kids will go off on their own adapting to new lifestyles. Ive been brought up in an environment where there was no sikhi around me, and ive seen it all and done it all, but still their was hope... theres hope for everyone but it all comes down to the sangat your around. When you were with him, he was ok, he understood his mistakes but still because of the long distance talk, his friends around him had a more upper hand influence around him. This problem with youth going on the 'wrong' track, is in every religion/culture around the world, trust me.