India Independence Day

sadh ka sang

For those who celebrate India's independence day today, good for them and may they share their joy with others. BUT for Sikhs this is a black day, and is a cruel reminder that we are still slaves in our own motherland. 

jad vi kitay vanddh hoyi, vanddh hoyi panjab dee

jad vi kitay rand hoyi, randi hoyi aurat panjab dee 

I have been thinking over and want to put some input..

Its wrong to say that 15 August is not our day.. Heck YEH, its our day and we should be the one to celebrate (i will also give reason why we don't). Our grandfathers fought against british, masands and gave countless shaheedian and now we are saying 15 august has nothing to do with us???? Singhs like kartar Singh Saraba, bhagat singh, udham singh, bhai randhir singh and countless others (90% of freedom fighters) were Sikhs and they gave most of their life for the fight against oppression.

Big reason why we don't celebrate is because of death of 1 million Punjabis during the partition days and I don't know HOW any Punjabi can be so proud to celebrate the day when our relatives, brothers/sister and neighbors died in that bloody lawless time. This is the only major reason why I don't celebrate this day !! And its huge shame that NOBODY in India want to remember them nor any TV Channel do any mini-documentary on this subject. They want to Forget and don't care what happened to Punjabis in past, whats happening in present and what will happen in future... they just simply don't care !!

Gurfatehji,

So many of our sikh brethren laid their lives for this freedom / independence... so instead of paying tribute to their sacrifices, why should we think it is a black day for us? That's no justice to their sacrifices.

Did you read the above reply ji??

I have been thinking over and want to put some input..

Its wrong to say that 15 August is not our day.. Heck YEH, its our day and we should be the one to celebrate (i will also give reason why we don't). Our grandfathers fought against british, masands and gave countless shaheedian and now we are saying 15 august has nothing to do with us???? Singhs like kartar Singh Saraba, bhagat singh, udham singh, bhai randhir singh and countless others (90% of freedom fighters) were Sikhs and they gave most of their life for the fight against oppression.

Big reason why we don't celebrate is because of death of 1 million Punjabis during the partition days and I don't know HOW any Punjabi can be so proud to celebrate the day when our relatives, brothers/sister and neighbors died in that bloody lawless time. This is the only major reason why I don't celebrate this day !! And its huge shame that NOBODY in India want to remember them nor any TV Channel do any mini-documentary on this subject. They want to Forget and don't care what happened to Punjabis in past, whats happening in present and what will happen in future... they just simply don't care !!

Do you honestly think that Bhagat/udham singh sacrificed their lives for this "freedom". Im quite sure their vision of freedom was not current day india, indias independence is a disgrace to their shaheedi.