Getting Engaged Early Has Become A Trend These Days.

Guest _Gupt Singh_

Engagement is kind of a temporary license, a permission or declaration of sorts in society.

It means more to a girl & her family rather than to a boy & his family. It brings security plus social approval in the traditional sense to the girl & her family.

On the other hand it seems more of a show off in the society and kind of a celebration, success in terms of getting close to the 'Title'. I am not talking about the heavy weight boxing title but "Mrs" title !

Comparing the old and the modern times,

I personally feel young couples are more mature & better informed compared to the ancestors. One can thank T.V, Internet, co-education, multi-cultural society for that.

Overall it's good to give a name to a relation and get into a courtship but just a word of caution, there is a greater chance of a break up in case of a long courtship or engagement period.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people these days become bf-gf for many years, so engagement can;t be as bad.

long engagement, whats the point? Engagement is for marriage, not some long thing. No point in getting engaged if ur not gonna get married. Might as well find a suitable partner without rushing into engagment in all that time.

But just so show another side,, back home in india they yused to marry the kids at an early age, but not actually send the the wife to the the mans house until shes about 17. So like some people treated marriage the same as this kinda long engagement stuff lol

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee kee fateh

personally, i am totally against long engagement!! This period is very sensitive for your mind as you start to think about marriage and about ur partner. ...If it is to long.. u can find urself drowning in the thoughts and bascially thinking to much about marriage - ... having doubts etc. our minds are not pure nor can they be controlled.

i also agree that it is a trend to get engaged young...i dont know why all these people want to get married so badly! hmm am i missing out? seems boring to me hehe.

while wer not married we should be making the most of being free and doing as much bhagtee as we can... Sangato guru naal joro.. janum saful karo. these marriage issues shouldnt be in our minds.. build a healthy uchaa soocha jeevan and only have one goal in life.. to fall in love with guru jis feet.

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee kee fateh!!

OH and jai tegang - Your kaam is not suddenly eradicated when you get married... it is still there. for some people it can get worse. dont think having kaam for ur wife is all good mate. Whatever takes u away from guru ji is MAYA. and MAYA comes from KAAM KRODH LOBH MOH AHNKAAR.

Thought id clear that one up.

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguro jee kee fateh

A sister I know, she was getting set up with this boy.. she was doing medicine and he was doing dentistry, the families werehappy etc, all seemed "so perfect" (and other soppy stuff) until she clocked on his reason for early marriage :rolleyes: Kee dasa... he wanted 1 thing asap..

Anywho she being decent called it off and now 1 yr on, found out he did drugs too! O twadi..

So early mariage fixing kaam? Half the time Kaam is the *reason* !!

on a side note it's great hanging out with single single singhs (ie: no marrage no gf).. i duno i just see a hardcore aspect of em that attracts me.. they live with no fikar no faka :p .. but its sad how most of the youth nowadays are into worrying about marriage and kuria and losing their youthhood in these pangge :(

Revolutionary ji,

Sorry to hear that.

I am curious to know that being an arranged marriage didn't her parents know about the guy being a drug addict ?

Normally the arrangement is done within one's community or jaat biradri so didn't they know the guy & his family before fixing up things.

As for Kaam that risk is always there, more in U.S, U.K, Canada compared to India.

We fail to recognise that whatever happens to thy neighbour ( Gora's, Kala's etc ) in society can eventually happen to us.

There is always some reason or the other behind getting engaged or married, Kaam being prominent.

Other than that financial & social status. Moral values, character and religious aspect is no longer on the priority list in fixing a match.

Being Single and Singh in Charhdikala is fine uptil a certain age then one must have an Anand Karaj and live a Grehast Jeevan.

Celibacy means there will be no Singhs, Kaurs or Bhuchangis for us to pass on Sikhi.

The biggest problem of a celibate is he/she doesnot have natural students or disciples i.e children to carry on the Sikh legacy.

A sister I know, she was getting set up with this boy.. she was doing medicine and he was doing dentistry, the families werehappy etc, all seemed "so perfect" (and other soppy stuff) until she clocked on his reason for early marriage :rolleyes: Kee dasa... he wanted 1 thing asap..

Anywho she being decent called it off and now 1 yr on, found out he did drugs too! O twadi..

So early mariage fixing kaam? Half the time Kaam is the *reason* !!

on a side note it's great hanging out with single single singhs (ie: no marrage no gf).. i duno i just see a hardcore aspect of em that attracts me.. they live with no fikar no faka :p .. but its sad how most of the youth nowadays are into worrying about marriage and kuria and losing their youthhood in these pangge :(

wow how did this girl find out he just wanted the one thing? lol He must have been over flirty or something?

The Ambrosial Name of the Lord, Har, Har, is so sweet; O Saints of the Lord, taste it, and see.

^^See, there are some awakened souls in here who know what 'Har Har' means:)

And I was starting to think ' how most of the people here dont even know what HAR HAR means when they recite guru bani's everyday?'

Vaheguru, Har Har:)