How To Deal With Alchoholic Fathers

Guest _gupt_

A very prominent individual doing significant good work in North America once spoke of his 'conversation with God'. He wrote of the interview he had before he came into this world. I would be happy to write the full interview, but for now, it was primarily as such.

God asked: What do you wish to accomplish in the world?

He said: Since there is so much suffering in the world, I wish to help the world heal (he was born shortly after WWII after the deaths of multiple millions and holocausts).

God said: To do so will place a heavy burden upon you.

He said: I accept such a burden

God said: So let it be, and I have the perfect family for you. You will be born of this father. He will be a drunk, and he will abandon you very early on in life. This way you will learn how to be strong and face adversity at a young age. You will be born of this mother, who will be strong and steadfast, and be the unity that holds you and your siblings together. Your father will not have much part to play in your life so that you can do the work that you come into earth to accomplish.

He said: So let it be

And thus, he was born into the world as a cellular particle that was nurtured in a loving mother. He was abandoned by his father, and he was seperated from his mother and brothers at a young age and put into an adoption home. Through the grace and strength of his mother would be be reunited with his family years later. But the lessons he learned, allowed him to become one of the most prominent spiritual leaders of North America today, helping so many millions of people to come out of suffering, lending aid to the orphans of Africa, and so much more.

The question you need to ask yourself is what conversation did you have with God before you came into this earth, what is the purpose that you are meant to fulfill?

Sangat Jio,

I wish I could only say fateh and feel proud, Truth be told I'm a Manmukh, And even though I have the thirst for Naam I am lost.

Say Fateh! And be proud. I assume you are a Sikh and we are all a Sangat of learners - never compare yourself to a Mahapurukh etc...You are on a path and Waheguru does not hold a stop-watch to see you through stages.

With regards to your father, from my own experience of alcoholics in the family (I am talking about problem drinking here - dependancy, withdrawal and family dysharmony as a result), the only solution is to force him into a detox programme. Unfortunately the best ones are private inpatient schemes where you pay £3000-6000 per week - but compared to NHS schemes, they deliver results.

Otherwise think of your future - do you want to get married, have children and let them see the upset that you have witnessed or worse? Obviously not, and so my only advice would be to ensure that upon marriage you are financially set up to leave home and settle away from your father.

If you read patth, then Sukhmani Sahib as many have said will settle your concious if your actions merit anxiety.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 
    • Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi Kalan uses simple Punjabi.
    • Leaving aside Guru ji, the general question of taking afeem (opium) in limited quantities for war/medical wounds is simply unproblematic. When you go to the hospital, they give you morphine. What do you think morphine is? It's an opiate. Even codeine (cough syrup) is an opiate! Ever had a cough? Granted, it is against Gurmat to take opium or other drugs for the fun of it.

Important Information

Terms of Use