SUKHASAN

Sukh Asan

Every night at the Gurdwara when SukhAsan takes place and Guru Granth Sahib Ji is respectfully carried on the head of a beloved GurMukh, the rest of the GurMukh Pyare sing :

Jithae Jae Bahe mera Satguru,

so thaan suhava Ram Raje

Wherever my SatGuru comes to sit

that place becomes adorned

The Dhol is being beaten, the Shaineh (bells and cymbals) are chiming, a group of ten children are at the front, the rest of the Sangat follow behind as Guru Sahib goes to the Peace (Sukh) position (Asan) upstairs on the bed.

It feels like Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself is riding majestically by and the Sangat bow, applying the dust of His feet to their forehead

GurSikhi so than bhal-i-a

La dhoor mukh lava

The GurSikhs go to that place

and apply the dust to their forehead.

Like when a luxurious ocean liner cuts through the calm sea under the summer sun and all the little boats marvel at its splendor as he sails by. Then they feel the ripples of waves from the Ocean liner and follow in his wake. Singing Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful Waheguru as all the blessings wash over them.

Gur sikha kee ghal the payee

Jin Har Naam Dhia-va

The GurSikh's effort is accepted

if they mediated on God's Name

The GurMukhs sing the glories of the SatGuru and God causes the world to sing the glories of the GurMukh.

Jin Nanak SatGur pooji-a

Tin Har Pooj Karava

Those who worship SatGuru Nanak

God causes them to be worshipped.

(Chhant by Guru Raam Das Jee)

Sant Attar Singh Ji used to lie flat as stick (danda-aut) in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji for hours on end just to pass a

ll the blessings and respect people had given him back to Guru Sahib.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji said 'nothing pleases me more than people serving the Khalsa'. Wherever Guru Ji used to go to eat, he made sure the Panj Pyare got served before he did. (This tradition continues when Prashad is distributed first to representatives of the Panj Pyare i.e. 5 Khalsa then to the Granthi and then to the Sangat.)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 
    • Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi Kalan uses simple Punjabi.
    • Leaving aside Guru ji, the general question of taking afeem (opium) in limited quantities for war/medical wounds is simply unproblematic. When you go to the hospital, they give you morphine. What do you think morphine is? It's an opiate. Even codeine (cough syrup) is an opiate! Ever had a cough? Granted, it is against Gurmat to take opium or other drugs for the fun of it.

Important Information

Terms of Use