Mother

Blissful Sikh

It's amazed me. Through my 19 years of life I've had to deal with a mom who is absolutely crazy. My dad is finally leaving her now, and I am going to be living with him. That is a long story within itself, but I just wanted to share the one part of my mothers insanity which is quite shocking, considering I'm a recovering heroin addict and she should be supportive of such choices.

It seems her new favorite hobby, is to tell me that being a Sikh is "Rude to our white culture."

She told me that "There are tons of Hindus at work, so she knows all about Sikhs." which proves how little she knows about Indian culture. She seems to think, no matter how much I explain (if you try to explain something to my mother, she starts screaming and becomes violent. She is SEVERELY mentally ill and it has gotten so bad that my father and I HAVE to leave. Only a couple of weeks more of this insanity...) that Sikhs are a race of people. She doesn't understand that Hinduism and Sikhism are two seperate RELIGIONS that are popular amongst INDIANS.

Just now, I was sitting playing my xbox in the living room. I was just waiting for my methadone to kick in, as it is very powerful. I actually don't do anything right now, until I'm off my methadone I just live with my parents and relax. But, as I was sitting there my sister walks into the room and sits down beside my mother. My mother says outloud: "You wouldn't believe what your brother has on the way from India now, a big knife! How insulting to our culture for you to think you Sikhs can come to Canada and trounce around with knifes. How insulting to our culture for a WHITE person to degrade themself like that."

I'm sorry for dragging my BS here, but I am now sitting in my room crying and singing Waheguru. I beg that my mother get's the proper medical help and supervision she needs one of these days.

PS: I've only gotten a Kara so far. My Kirpan should get here today, and then in a week or so I should have my turban cloth arriving. I am quite excited to wear the dress of such a beautiful religion. Many beautiful men before me have worn the same, it is an honor. I can't wait to do my Amrit (I thank those who helped me, I still need to get ahold of the numbers given but I am very thankful.)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Sat Nam! Sat Nam!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Some Situation To Be In...

I suggest You gO tO THE Gurudwara and Ask a Granthi To Give You a Hukamnama...

Who Better Get advice from other than god himself?

Tell them to give you the hukamnama Ang (page) NUMBER...and then when you come home go online and look up the english translations...

And then PLEASE do as Guru Sahib says...Don't go around asking people for help after that...

I think he'll tell you to do sangat...I have a feeling about this...But please go...go now...don't delay...

And do as he says...because whatever he says is stronger than a Lakeer on a Pather(rock)...

God bless you...

My mothers like that, we are all Sikhs, but yet she doesn't want me to grow my hair, she says i won't be able to get a girl, and stuff, she said she'd cut my hair off when im asleep, then when i became a vegetarian, she said that i will die by getting ill and stuff, she is totally not supportive, but that doesn't matter because if you have faith in God then he will protect you. If you take 1 step towards the Guru he will take thousands of steps towards you. Be strong, and don't beg or cry, Sikhs are suppose to work hard, begging gets you nowhere.

One who obeys God reforms their family members.

PS: I've only gotten a Kara so far. My Kirpan should get here today, and then in a week or so I should have my turban cloth arriving. I am quite excited to wear the dress of such a beautiful religion. Many beautiful men before me have worn the same, it is an honor. I can't wait to do my Amrit (I thank those who helped me, I still need to get ahold of the numbers given but I am very thankful.)

!

sorry, i can't help with the mom problem.

but please don't go around wearing a kirpan until or unless you are blessed with Amrit... i know it's a trend to wear the kirpan before amrit, but i think it's disrespectful. the kirpan requires a LOT of responsibility to carry. someone who carries it is ALWAYS representing the entire sikh community.

i'm not trying to be harsh or restrictive, it just worries me. i've seen a few young people locally who are obviously breaking rehat in so many different ways who also wear kirpan.

stick to the kara and practicing tying that turban! :)

oh rly?

i just looked it up it said it was a drug stronger than methane or sumthin

my bad

it is an EXTREMELY strong opioid drug, but it's easier to regulate than heroin, so they give it to heroin addicts to help ease the pain of detox. they very slowly step down in dose on the methadone until, theoretically, they stop using.

methadone treatment is controversial because many people wind up addicted to the methadone itself.

it's a very difficult path to follow and i recommend our poster do the best he can to get off it as soon as possible. do as much naam simran and read sukhmani sahib paath every day. i've been through a lot in my life too, and i can sympathize with you in a lot of ways. but let me tell you that naam jaap is the BEST high there is, hands down. and i strongly believe that it WILL cure you of anything (even heroin addiction).