Sikhi - Dancing - Bhangra

Traveller

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I would have to completely agree with Jasleen K.

Why would u want 2 dance to the rubbish that passes today as bhangra/music?

However this is Kalyug so as usual there will be SOME people that will tell u its okay do wot u like, the best advice I can give is ask Maharaj. Maharaj will have the best answer (maybe not the one u wanted).

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Nothing wrong with dancing in my opinion(as long as the dance is clean), if a sikh is krumping or breakdancing everyone will be like oh thats cool but if a sikh does bhangra people start to talk crap.

ok, for me, the main problem with dancing are the music and the venue. listen to the lyrics in banghra. it's all about sex, booze, fighting, etc. NOT exactly what gursikhs should listen to, right? second, where do people dance? clubs? filled with booze, cigarette smoke, and drunk people. again, not exactly the right environment for sikhs.

if you can find clean music and a clean venue (maybe guys only or girls only), good luck getting anyone to dance. :)

i think the main point of dancing is to attract the opposite sex, again, not exactly gurmat, right? :)

if you're dancing around your living room alone... go for it. i think that's probably ok. :)

Agree with you on the venue part but not everyone dances in pubs or clubs, i dont think people krump in clubs...and what about musicals and other shows...they are not exactly dancing in clubs. Main point of dancing might have been to attract opposite sex but that aint the reason everyone dances.

post-14238-1221444946_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I've been doing some quick searching but havent been able to find anything conclusive or specific, but found many other very interesting topics mind you!!

Anyway....what are the views of sikhs on the place...or the non-place of dancing to/and/or bhangra music in the Sikh way of life?

I don't think I've ever seen an amritdhari dance, but is that because it's not allowed? Would sikhs have danced in victory? Is there such thing as party-like celebrations or is the celebration done on a much higher level?

I know so many sikhs who are so talented in the art of dance and expression through movement...I wonder what an amritdhari way of life means for their assumed to be god-given talents?

Many thanks,

Traveller

VJKK VJKF

dancing is wrong. :) its not about being allowed.... a true gursikh would NOT want to do such a thing in the first place. the music ppl dance to is even worse. its all maya to be honest. i dont see why ppl get pleasure or 'happiness' by dancing :S

and about talent--- an amritdharis way of life is just great, nothing can be compared towards it :)

vjkk vjkf

Dancing is quite a primitive concept, some birds dance to attract the opposite sex.

We are not birds.... Ever heard the insult bird brain? it means you are not very clever. I don't think theres anythink wrong with dancing, aslong as it is not about lust, your ego, and attachment to pleasuring yourself.

Have you seen the haka? The war dance the New Zealand rugby team do, to intimidate their opponents, i think that kind of dancing is ok. But that still might be kind of primitive.

My personal experience is that as I grew closer to sikhi, I went further from clubbing, dancing etc. not cz its wrong but it I just don't feel like joining people of dance floor, now I like songs, but they are more like ghazal or more meaningful than latest bhangra songs which are always referring Sharab, Kabab and Shabab :) I think that what gurbani does to you give you calmness

My personal experience is that as I grew closer to sikhi, I went further from clubbing, dancing etc. not cz its wrong but it I just don't feel like joining people of dance floor, now I like songs, but they are more like ghazal or more meaningful than latest bhangra songs which are always referring Sharab, Kabab and Shabab :) I think that what gurbani does to you give you calmness

i had the same experience. :)

I listened to songs day and night...

It's just that one day, all the sudden, they seemed so vulgar...

So cheap and disgusting...

ya, i found they were easier to listen to if i didn't understand the words.

once i knew what they were saying, i was pretty shocked. it kind of took the fun out of it. :(

Bgiq krih mUrK Awpu jxwvih ]

The fools perform devotional worship by showing off;

nic nic tpih bhuqu duKu pwvih ]

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain.

nicAY tipAY Bgiq n hoie ]

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

sbid mrY Bgiq pwey jnu soie ]3]

But one who dies in the Word of the Shabad, obtains devotional worship.