Ramadan

Dukh Nivaran

WJKK, WJKF!

Well, these muslims in my school, who are now fasting, are always whining during the day that they are hungry. So of course I say why don't you eat then. Then this argument arises over why I should fast (lol) and they tell me to try it for one day. Fasting and the concept of Ramadan is condemned in our religion, but they won't believe why. Please reply.

WJKK, WJKF!

wjkk wjkf!

The debate could be completely avoided by respecting their beliefs, and not telling them to eat in the first place.

xD I was in so much of a hurry I write it wrong! The thing is they go around telling peeps to try fasting for one day and after that start whining lol. It's stupid yeh I know but I wanna know why we don't believe in fasting and Ramadan...

wjkk wjkf!

I could be wrong but originally the fast was not carried out by Sikhs because it was considered an empty ritual. Fasting was done in respect of the "Gods" or God.

Muslims from what they have told me, fast so they understand the suffering of others. During this period they are suppose to take all that they dont consume and give it to the needy. However, what doesnt make sense to me is that they end up eating the same amount (or it seems like that atleast) just at different times of the day.

As, a Sikh our response to this would be that it is our duty to live every breath like this, not to over consume and understand the plight of the less fortunate while working for the promotion of social justice. They have ramadan, and a month of charitable work by providing food to the less needy etc. We have the eternal concept of Langar Seva.

What a great reply, stay in chardee kala ! :D

wjkk wjkf!

I could be wrong but originally the fast was not carried out by Sikhs because it was considered an empty ritual. Fasting was done in respect of the "Gods" or God.

Muslims from what they have told me, fast so they understand the suffering of others. During this period they are suppose to take all that they dont consume and give it to the needy. However, what doesnt make sense to me is that they end up eating the same amount (or it seems like that atleast) just at different times of the day.

As, a Sikh our response to this would be that it is our duty to live every breath like this, not to over consume and understand the plight of the less fortunate while working for the promotion of social justice. They have ramadan, and a month of charitable work by providing food to the less needy etc. We have the eternal concept of Langar Seva.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

An old e-mail I found from one of the yahoo groups.

5) Sikhism does not believe in fasting or pilgrimages.

"The mind is not softened by fasting or austerities. Nothing else is equal to worship of the Lord's Name." (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 905)

"The pilgrimage to shrines, fasting, cleanliness and self-mortification are not of any avail, nor are the rituals, religious ceremonies and hollow adoration's. Deliverance, O! Nanak! is in the devotional service of God. Through duality the mortal is engrossed in worldliness. (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 75)

I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines. I serve the One Lord, and not any other. ||2|| (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1136)

I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan. I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. ||1|| The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah. He adminsters justice to both Hindus and Muslims. ||1||Pause|| (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1136)

Contrary to Sikhism, Islam teaches Muslims to fast during the special month of Ramadan. It is this month that Muslims have the opportunity to get closer to God. But my question is: why this special month? If this is the only month to get closer to God then what is point for Muslims doing five prayers a day for the rest of the eleven months?

“Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.” (Quran, 2:185)

“The Brahmins observe twenty-four fasts during the year, and the Muslims fast during the month of Ramadaan. The Muslims set aside eleven months, and claim that the treasure is only in the one month”. ||3|| (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1349)

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Bhairao on Ang 1136 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee

BYrau mhlw 5 ]

bhairo mehalaa 5 ||

Bhairao, Fifth Mehla:

vrq n rhau n mh rmdwnw ]

varath n reho n meh ramadhaanaa ||

I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan.

iqsu syvI jo rKY indwnw ]1]

this saevee jo rakhai nidhaanaa ||1||

I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. ||1||

eyku gusweI Alhu myrw ]

eaek gusaaee alahu maeraa ||

The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.

ihMdU qurk duhW nybyrw ]1] rhwau ]

hi(n)dhoo thurak dhuhaa(n) naebaeraa ||1|| rehaao ||

He adminsters justice to both Hindus and Muslims. ||1||Pause||

hj kwbY jwau n qIrQ pUjw ]

haj kaabai jaao n theerathh poojaa ||

I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines.

eyko syvI Avru n dUjw ]2]

eaeko saevee avar n dhoojaa ||2||

I serve the One Lord, and not any other. ||2||

pUjw krau n invwj gujwrau ]

poojaa karo n nivaaj gujaaro ||

I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers.

eyk inrMkwr ly irdY nmskwrau ]3]

eaek nira(n)kaar lae ridhai namasakaaro ||3||

I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship Him there. ||3||

nw hm ihMdU n muslmwn ]

naa ham hi(n)dhoo n musalamaan ||

I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim.

Alh rwm ky ipMfu prwn ]4]

aleh raam kae pi(n)dd paraan ||4||

My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both. ||4||

khu kbIr iehu kIAw vKwnw ]

kahu kabeer eihu keeaa vakhaanaa ||

Says Kabeer, this is what I say:

gur pIr imil Kuid Ksmu pCwnw ]5]3]

gur peer mil khudh khasam pashhaanaa ||5||3||

meeting with the Guru, my Spiritual Teacher, I realize God, my Lord and Master. ||5||3||

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=4065

the whole reason muslims fast is because from the majority of what muslims tell me about their relegion, they show restraint. the reasons are many. the main one being the "how would you feel being less fortunate" thing.

i know muslims that wear the topi all that month and then dont for the rest of the time in the year. and dont swear and dont lisen to music and things until the month is over, then its all partying.

i think that, this month of ramadan is good, but is misunderstood by the majortiy of the muslims. they should be giving and helping all year round, but for that month, they should increase on the good that they already do. like us as sikhs, how much good do we do all year? i can say that i do what i can..

but it is nice that for a month in the wholeof the year, all goodness is increased.

having said that, our guru ji says that all the sanyaasis wen they used to leave home and family, "dheea putt mun chord sunaasi..." to go into th e mountains to pray, their mind was in their family and stomach was growling and they were somtimes cold, wishing that their wife was there to bring them lovely food, our guru ji says, whats the point of going elswhere to remember god when your mind is clearly not with god? and is with your family?

this is why we do gristy jeevan.(1 of the reasons...)

AND

this is why we dont fast. else our mind will not be where its supposed to be..

but!! if one were to read seheskriti salork, they would find somthing that would turn their view ryt around!! :D

sikhs practise (or are supposed to practise) what muslims practise for only one month.

you should be able to see that what they do in that month is good. and you should say that u dont just practise and learn for a month, but for the whole of your life. this is what the word sikh means.

if that dont make them stop saying what they are saying to you and otyher ppl, they are moorakh and will not listen to you, but they will stand their ground and not be open to other views.

bhul chuk kima.