Naam Simran Is Wrong?

Certain modern westernised so called educated Sikh scholars have started questioning NAAM SIMRAN. This is infact laughable since Gurbani is full of Naam Simran itself HAR HAR HAR and Raam Raam Raam, sometimes upto five times in one go.

They are reffering to this Simran as parrot fashion and Brahmin Mantras. Naam Simran is the nourisher of the soul without it, it dries up eventually. They are calling rosary as pakhand. If one reads Gurbani there is no doubt left about Naam. The reality is these scholars don't even read Gurbani on a regular basis.

You will continually find those who reach to the extremes in both ends of the spectrum.

Some say nothing but naam Simran ie: only those who specifically say Waheguru will be saved, others like you've come across feel the complete opposite.

what to do, what to do, but to seek the one who has found the One who we are all seeking. Once s/he is found, never let go for s/he will take you to Him and all doubts will fade, until then pray that even if you to be led astray from the path, s/he'd never leave your side.

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

satnaam vaheguroo

• 4 weeks later...

Dhan Dhan Guru Amr Daas Ji says:

ਰਾਮੁ ਰਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥

raam raam karathaa sabh jag firai raam n paaeiaa jaae ||

The entire world roams around, chanting, ""Raam, Raam, Lord, Lord"", but the Lord cannot be obtained like this. (Ang 555)

i think what really matters is true devotion, that longing to be at the feet of Akal Purakh, then whatever praise comes out of the mouth is worthy enough as a prayer, be it naam simran or bani paath :)

bhull chukk maaf ji

The entire world roams around, chanting, ""Raam, Raam, Lord, Lord"", but the Lord cannot be obtained like this. (Ang 555)

i think what really matters is true devotion, that longing to be at the feet of Akal Purakh, then whatever praise comes out of the mouth is worthy enough as a prayer, be it naam simran or bani paath

bhull chukk maaf ji

If you have been given the gift of having knowledge of naam simran and bani's then you must do both. The are both interlinked, doing naam simran, aswell as praising God and letting God take care you, it also helps your mind to focus better on doing the your banis. It is good to do simran before reading your bani. Because in bani it says, your mind is washed by the naam, and if you don't your mind will stink. And the bani's ultimate message is, naam. Everywhere, do naam, morning, at work at night even in sleep, never forget the naam wherever you may be. In Bani it also says, in whatever state of mind thinking of God is practised, whether meditating, whilst your working just reciting the naam, his praises are sung. So both are to be done. That is true devotion, and this really proves you are longing to be with God, because you can't read banis all day, well most of us can't even if we could read for most of the day, then we'd still need a break, like to eat or go to the toilet, whilst doing this we can jap naam. So both are required.

i think what really matters is true devotion, that longing to be at the feet of Akal Purakh, then whatever praise comes out of the mouth is worthy enough as a prayer, be it naam simran or bani paath

bhull chukk maaf ji

If you have been given the gift of having knowledge of naam simran and bani's then you must do both. The are both interlinked, doing naam simran, aswell as praising God and letting God take care you, it also helps your mind to focus better on doing the your banis. It is good to do simran before reading your bani. Because in bani it says, your mind is washed by the naam, and if you don't your mind will stink. And the bani's ultimate message is, naam. Everywhere, do naam, morning, at work at night even in sleep, never forget the naam wherever you may be. In Bani it also says, in whatever state of mind thinking of God is practised, whether meditating, whilst your working just reciting the naam, his praises are sung. So both are to be done. That is true devotion, and this really proves you are longing to be with God, because you can't read banis all day, well most of us can't even if we could read for most of the day, then we'd still need a break, like to eat or go to the toilet, whilst doing this we can jap naam. So both are required.

well said veer ji. I remember one katha where maskeen ji said when someone goes int sant avastha, naam simran happens automatically with every breath, they dont even have to make a conscious effort to do so. Such people must be truly blessed!!

[

vwihgurU vwihgurU vwihgurU vwih jIau ]

vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jeeo ||

Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o.

kvl nYn mDur bYn koit sYn sMg soB khq mw jsod ijsih dhI Bwqu Kwih jIau ]

kaval nain madhhur bain kott sain sa(n)g sobh kehath maa jasodh jisehi dhehee bhaath khaahi jeeo ||

You are lotus-eyed, with sweet speech, exalted and embellished with millions of companions. Mother Yashoda invited You as Krishna to eat the sweet rice.

dyiK rUpu Aiq AnUpu moh mhw mg BeI ikMknI sbd Jnqkwr Kylu pwih jIau ]

dhaekh roop ath anoop moh mehaa mag bhee ki(n)kanee sabadh jhanathakaar khael paahi jeeo ||

Gazing upon Your supremely beautiful form, and hearing the musical sounds of Your silver bells tinkling, she was intoxicated with delight.

kwl klm hukmu hwiQ khhu kaunu myit skY eIsu bMm´ü g´wnu D´wnu Drq hIAY cwih jIau ]

kaal kalam hukam haathh kehahu koun maett sakai ees ba(n)mya gyaan dhhyaan dhharath heeai chaahi jeeo ||

Death's pen and command are in Your hands. Tell me, who can erase it? Shiva and Brahma yearn to enshrine Your spiritual wisdom in their hearts.

siq swcu sRI invwsu Awid purKu sdw quhI vwihgurU vwihgurU vwihgurU vwih jIau ]1]6]

sath saach sree nivaas aadh purakh sadhaa thuhee vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jeeo ||1||6||

You are forever True, the Home of Excellence, the Primal Supreme Being. Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o. ||1||6||

well said veer ji. I remember one katha where maskeen ji said when someone goes int sant avastha, naam simran happens automatically with every breath, they dont even have to make a conscious effort to do so. Such people must be truly blessed!!

I also do remember pravacahan of Maskeen ji . He emphasised on 'Jo ko Khavay..........bhunchay[forgive me for not quoting the exact 'tuk'] He stated that one should utter 'waheguru' with the tongue and listen with the ears. that is why ,he said, that it is stated that.:

'Akahan aukha prabh ka nau"

[again forgive ,if i am incorrect in 'tuk.] As a side note I do follow this i.e .uttering and trying to listen what has been uttered.

I have no knowledge if there is any specific prescription as to how to carry out 'Simran'. But i do like this method as has been advised by Maskeen ji.

Wjkk WjkF

• 2 weeks later...

ਰਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਤਬ ਮਥੀਐ ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ॥੨॥

[If you chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord,with your tongue, then the curd will be churned. In this way, the Ambrosial Nectar is obtained. ||2||

[ang728]

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਮਾਲਿ ਤੂੰ ਬਧਾ ਛੁਟਹਿ ਜਿਤੁ ॥੬॥੧॥੩॥

O Nanak, contemplate the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and you shall be released from bondage. ||6||1||3||

ਤੇਰਾ ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੰਜੀਠੜਾ ਰਤਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਚੋਲਾ ਸਦ ਰੰਗ ਢੋਲਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

Your Name alone is the color, in which the robe of my body is dyed. This color is permanent, O my Beloved. ||1||Pause||

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ

Soohee, First Mehl:

ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਭਾਂਡੈ ਭਾਉ ਤਿਨਾ ਸਵਾਰਸੀ

Those whose minds are filled with love of the Lord, are blessed and exalted.

ਸੂਖੀ ਕਰੈ ਪਸਾਉ ਦੂਖ ਵਿਸਾਰਸੀ

They are blessed with peace, and their pains are forgotten.

ਸਹਸਾ ਮੂਲੇ ਨਾਹਿ ਸਰਪਰ ਤਾਰਸੀ ॥੧॥

He will undoubtedly, certainly save them. ||1||

ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਗੁਰੁ ਆਇ ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਲੀਖਿਆ

The Guru comes to meet those whose destiny is so pre-ordained.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਉ ਦੇਵੈ ਦੀਖਿਆ

He blesses them with the Teachings of the Ambrosial Name of the Lord.

ਚਾਲਹਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭਾਇ ਭਵਹਿ ਭੀਖਿਆ ॥੨॥

Those who walk in the Will of the True Guru, never wander begging. ||2||

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਮਹਲੁ ਹਜੂਰਿ ਦੂਜੇ ਨਿਵੈ ਕਿਸੁ

And one who lives in the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, why should he bow down to any other?

ਦਰਿ ਦਰਵਾਣੀ ਨਾਹਿ ਮੂਲੇ ਪੁਛ ਤਿਸੁ

The gate-keeper at the Lord's Gate shall not stop him to ask any questions.

ਛੁਟੈ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਬੋਲਿ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨਦਰਿ ਜਿਸੁ ॥੩॥

And one who is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace - by his words, others are emancipated as well. ||3||

ਘਲੇ ਆਣੇ ਆਪਿ ਜਿਸੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਦੂਜਾ ਮਤੈ ਕੋਇ

The Lord Himself sends out, and recalls the mortal beings; no one else gives Him advice.

ਢਾਹਿ ਉਸਾਰੇ ਸਾਜਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਭ ਸੋਇ

He Himself demolishes, constructs and creates; He knows everything.

1 ਨਾਨਕ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਨਦਰੀ ਕਰਮੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥੩॥੫॥

O Nanak, the Naam, the Name of the Lord is the blessing, given to those who receive His Mercy, and His Grace. ||4||3||5||

P.s

Could someone kindly advise as to how to proceed from sabad-No-1 from Granth sahib. Is there any site where the numbering of sabads is given.?Kindly guide.