besoft

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no the vedas have no value besides historical education which is important also
Have you read vedas in their entirety?

I need not read them unless bani says so. I am just quoting form bani to understand as to why this approach has been adopted if Granth Sahib has held them in respect at more than one place.

"The Holy Saints preach the teachings of the Vedas, but the unfortunate fools do not understand them. [717-7 todi, Mehl-5]

How do we reconcile this statement and many others that may be posted, if required.

Monkey/Hanuman is the subject matter of Ramayana and not Vedas.

is there an outright rejection? or is Guru Ji telling us to think higher ie naam. ?

Guru Gobind Singh ji always said to be educated in all matter worldy, and bani wise.

Rejecting the Vedas does not mean we may not read them, we should they are a deep part of history, but to take the output of the veds as "gyaan" is wrong...Guru Granth Sahib is the true gyaan.

But to say that a hindu should reject them is also wrong, it is their gyaan.

1.The great men have studied the Shaastras, the Simritees and the Vedas, and they have said this:[215-12]

2."Without the Lord's meditation, there is no emancipation, and no one has ever found peace."||1||[215-13]

The interpretation is little off. Which great men have studied Vedas? Only Brahmins and Pandits have the right to read and study Vedas not just anyone. So the correct interpretation would be: “Pandits and Brahmins study Vedas, Shahstras and Simartis to reach the ultimate goal but this is all futile. Mahapurakhs (gurmukhs) have reached the conclusion and say that without Naam simran there is no salvation”. Whether we take this interpretation or the above, both convey the same message and only naam is held as gateway to salvation.

"The Holy Saints preach the teachings of the Vedas, but the unfortunate fools do not understand them. [717-7 todi, Mehl-5]

This interpretation is totally false. The entire shabad preaches greatness of naam. Take a look:

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹ ਕਾ ਇਹੁ ਊਤਮ ਫਲੁ ॥1॥

This pankti clearly says that meditating upon God’s name is the greatest action in human life. Next panktis say:

ਬੇਦ ਬਖਿਆਨ ਕਰਤ ਸਾਧੂ ਜਨ ਭਾਗਹੀਨ ਸਮਝਤ ਨਹੀ ਖਲੁ ॥

ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਰਾਚੇ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਦਹਨ ਭਏ ਮਲ ॥2॥7॥26॥

ਕਈ ਮਨ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਧਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਲੋਕ (ਸਾਧੂ) ਵੇਦਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਸਮਝਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਆਤਮ ਗਿਆਨ ਪਾ ਲੈਣਗੇ ਪਰ ਉਹ ਮੂਰਖ ਅਭਾਗੇ ਲੋਕ ਇਹ ਗੱਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਮਝਦੇ ਕਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤੀ ਵਿਚ ਰਚਿਤ ਹੋਣ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ ਪੰਜਾਂ ਭਲਵਾਨਾਂ (ਚੋਰਾਂ) ਤੇ ਕਾਬੂ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਪਾਪ ਸੜ੍ਹ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ । ਭਾਵ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਕੁਝ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ।

In both cases Vedas are not praised but rejected and Naam is held as the only way to get muktee.

ਹਮਰਾ ਝਗਰਾ ਰਹਾ ਨ ਕੋਊ ॥ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਛਾਡੇ ਦੋਊ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥....

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਛਾਡਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਮ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਲੀਆ ॥3॥

Thank you Dear Bijla Singh ji for giving me space to express myself freely

let us look again at the following:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ

If the Gurus words are wisdom of Vedas where is the question of discarding the Vedas.

We always compare something that is above the thing that we are comparing or there should be reasonable level of appreciation in the thing cited for comparison.

[e.g.If I am appreciating my dog,I shall always say that my dog is brave and is a tiger. I shall not say that the tiger is like my dog.]

If we are comparing the Guru word with with the wisdom of Vedas, it stands to logic that Vedas are held in esteem. Panth might have rejected it for the reasons that I am not aware of but we follow the panthic approach. But we have the right to interpret the things and seek clarifications as to the things that seemingly are against some of the lines of bani.

Hope you shall take in the spirit that I am just clearing my doubts and have full faith in Guru Vaaks.

Kindly offer your advice so that I can reconcile things

Also Kindly advise, if Simran is better than discussing things like this on forums.

Thanks in anticipation.!

Can moderators please approve my previous message on this thread?

Respected Namstang ji,

Pl. Carry on with your advise to sangat.Your language smells arrogance and not humility that is also to be practiced as edicted by SGGS.

But please have your indulgences as we are all Guided by Satguru. Someday, you shall also be answerable for causing hinderances in the spread of sikhi.

No wonder sikhs in Punjab are disillusioned. There are no one in Gurudwaras with whom can discuss and sort out your doubts. This is the only place that we can help one another and help the understanding of Sikhi.

You have not been ,in any case, forced to reply.Chose those options that are in the overall interest and not your own. Yes, I had made a request to Mr. Bijla singh ji. The concerned line has been underlined also. It was not meant for you at all. That should satisfy you for the time being.

What do you suggest.? Read Granth Sahib and remove doubts.!!!