Langar Seva - 300 Saal Guru De Naal - Hazoor Sahib

singh_1983

Naam and haumme are inversely proportianal to each other. The Naam/haumme of the person preparing food has good/bad effect on the food.

We as a panth greatly underestimate the spiritual importance of Langar. Gurmat Langar prepared by rehitvaaan Naam-abhiyaasi Gursikhs can change the lives of sangat.

I personally feel daal, roti, chawal, and lots of salad shud be the standard langar. And there shud only be sarbloh utensils in the Langar Hall.

now u completely changed ur posting history in this reply.

u never miss a chance to slander some gursikhs by saying that some u call them rehetwaan singhs do not eat langar or keep bibek or dnt eat degh...

now u ur self explaining a fact about food preparing. those who dare to not eat degh knws that the degh it self is not parwaned by guru maharaj sometimes. coz the singh might not have follwed maryada and sucham.

i knw some bhai at gurdwaras are careless abt degh. their wives who r not even amritdhari make degh in same bhande they use for their self and wash with same sponge. a granthi here in canada at my relative's house asked me to start sukhmani shaib paath from mahara's swaroop, i said i never done it like that and i am not wearing gud kapde and im not shudh at path. then he said that make degh, i said i never made it b4, he was so p1$$ed off coz he had to do everything him self.

some times they ask bibia to prepare degh , the same bibia with their hair cut and eyebrow trimmed and pierced ears and long nails. so u think that kind of langar or parshad get parwanned to guru sahib?

never unless there is not enough shardha and pyaar.

with sharda and pyaar suchan doesnt matter for God, shabri who had such a pyaar for ram chandar ji, was waiting for ram chadar to come and eat ber, she was bitting each ber and checking if its mitha or fikka, and was ofering mithe ber to ram chadar ji.

bhai randheer singh ji, u cannot di kintu prantu on such a great gursikh, ddnt aacepted degh from darbar sahib, coz he had so much kirpa that he knew that degh is not parwaaned, his rehet was so hard that he ddnt ate for 40 days in jail coz there was no food of bibek. and ddnt ate for some days coz he ddnt apply lower quality oil on hair and he cud never eat parshada untill he hav his dastar on head.

so he ddnt accepted degh from darbar sahib and people like u started slandering, bhai sahib je told them that degh is not parwaaned, people asked him to then bring ur own degh if it is so, next day bhai sahib himself prepared degh and bring to darbar sahib and did ardas, there were two deghs and were weighted b4 ardas and also after ardas. one which bhau sahib made had less weight than b4 and the other was had same weight.

so dear harinder i ddnt commented much on ur posts earlier, now u ur self said it and i understand that u too understand a fact abt it thats why i shared it with u. juz stop looking at those who do bad things and stop slandering ur neighbors if u have some personal problem with them and do not include every single rehetwaan and chardikala gursikhs under same category.

about the original topic abt langar at hazur sahib, it is not bad at all.

if some people here are saying that the money shud be used somewhere else instead of wasting on too much varities of langar than they shud do one thing , on their wedding or any family wedding, do not serve any one, juz serve dal roti, no sweets juz dalia or kheer and donate the 5-6 lakh rupees to pingalwara or somewhere else where its badly needed.

now u undertsand what i mean? its a celebration.... wadda tera darbar..... wadde darbar dian waddian hi gallan wadiian hi shana saukata hundian han bhai sahib.

do not try to prove ur intelligence in every topic and tring to be very very formal.

its khushi that celebrations are happening over grand scale.

ya i post rude and u people make me to post like that, i wait for a long time but when limits are over i yell....

fer v maaf kar deo.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh Ji

I know many believe that langar should be simple however so many people have come to Hazoor Sahib and have had different types of foods that they may not have been able to afford or come across. They are celebrating their Guru Ji's Guru Gaddi Divas, and this is not something that comes every year. At the end of the day wether the food be simple or complicated the Sangats dil (heart), Man and rooh (soul) is kush and this matters. People are doing seva as they are happy and they want to share this with every Sikh and non-sikh, there is nothing more brilliant than that!! The sangat attending are happy and fortunate; may Guru Ji make their Janam Safla since they have had the chance to eat such langar!! I wish only Vaheguru had been able to give me such a mohkka (chance)! :p Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Bhul Chuk Maaf!!

Fateh Ji

Langar should always be simple !

well thats your opinion

Langar should be simple- satoguni, there is no doubt about that with an exception of these big events like- jor mela/Gurparbs and special events like 300 <banned word filter activated> gurgaddi divas.

Speaking generally regarding langar these days, there is a difference between langar these days served and langar back in the puratan times. Langar back in puratan times was always satoguni with no mirch masala. I think looking at the food in langar these days, it has move towards more rajoguni which is not recommended for bhagti/sadhna life style all it does is adding more to health problems ie- obesity, heart related problems. Even to this days akhand pattis or person who does sadhna will tell you how they will not eat sabji/dal with mirch masala, they usually either don't eat langar from gurdwara or if they do, they ask langri to put dal/sabji in separate bowl before they put mirch masala.

Example of three diets corresponding to three gunas - tamo, rajo, sato;

here are three kinds of food that we eat viz. pertaining to

i) tamoguna (ii) rajasguna (iii) satoguna

'tamas' food, includes intake of meat, fish, wine eggs etc. This food brings laziness to the man. He is likely to turn away from God and his God-consciousness is diminished. In 'rajas' is included pertaining of spicy and rich food for the sake of palate only. Heavy and rich food leads to numerous diseases.' Eat a bit less than your requirement. 'Satoguna' food includes partaking of vegetables, milk, curd, butter and cereals etc. 10. It means purity of mind, purity of body, purity of speech, purity of clothes, and purity of thought.

The 300 Gurta-Gadhi Divas has been very nicely celebrated by the sangat. All the wonderful seva by various Gursikhs just fills one's heart with joy.

Remember Mata Khivi Ji (Guru Angad Dev ji's Mahal) would make kheer with desi ghee for the samgat ( a delicacy in those times). There is nothing wrong with serving the sangat with wonderful dishes, prepared with full maryada ofcourse. A Mahapursh who's name I can't recall at the moment would prepare loads of sweets on Guru Gobind Singh sahib ji's Anandkaraj-anniversary. It's the sharda and love of the Gursikh that Maharaj ji is going to see. These celebrations give us an opportunity to reach out to sangat who normally would not be as interested coming to the the gurdwara. The excitement, joy, diverse langar, samagams during these celebrations are an opportunity to pull in sikhs who may have gone astray.

Just look at the faces of al those sikhs in the interview who had never tasted such delicious pizza. Imagine the non-sikhs from the local area who felt great deal of respect for the faith of their fellow sikh nieghbours.

To all the nay-sayers, what's next, should we also stop decorating our grudwaras because that money can be given to charity?

Give and give as much as you can to the needy, but don't stop seva of our langars and Guru-asthaans.

The 300 Gurta-Gadhi Divas has been very nicely celebrated by the sangat. All the wonderful seva by various Gursikhs just fills one's heart with joy.

Remember Mata Khivi Ji (Guru Angad Dev ji's Mahal) would make kheer with desi ghee for the samgat ( a delicacy in those times). There is nothing wrong with serving the sangat with wonderful dishes, prepared with full maryada ofcourse. Just look at the faces of al those sikhs in the interview who had never tasted such delicious pizza. Imagine the non-sikhs from the local area who felt great deal of respect for the faith of their fellow sikh nieghbours.

To all the nay-sayers, what's next, should we also stop decorating our grudwaras because that money can be given to charity?

Give and give as much as you can to the needy, but don't stop seva of our langars and Guru-asthaans.

:goodpost: :whs:

Remember Mata Khivi Ji (Guru Angad Dev ji's Mahal) would make kheer with desi ghee for the samgat ( a delicacy in those times). There is nothing wrong with serving the sangat with wonderful dishes, prepared with full maryada ofcourse. A Mahapursh who's name I can't recall at the moment would prepare loads of sweets on Guru Gobind Singh sahib ji's Anandkaraj-anniversary. It's the sharda and love of the Gursikh that Maharaj ji is going to see. These celebrations give us an opportunity to reach out to sangat who normally would not be as interested coming to the the gurdwara. The excitement, joy, diverse langar, samagams during these celebrations are an opportunity to pull in sikhs who may have gone astray.

Just look at the faces of al those sikhs in the interview who had never tasted such delicious pizza. Imagine the non-sikhs from the local area who felt great deal of respect for the faith of their fellow sikh nieghbours.

If you think how much money is being used for these fancy dishes and importing the pizza oven(s), could it not have been used to make some decent housing for the local vanajara Sikhs ? Is it more important that the sangat samples pizza or that Gursikhs are able to live in decent housing without leaking roofs and raw sewage everywhere ? A few thousand Sikhs who lived within the Hazur Sahib complex were displaced when Mr Parischa decided to knock down historical Sikh buildings dating from the 19th century. After all the pizza has been eat these Sikhs are still going to be living in shanty towns.

I suppose it is nothing new as these Sikhs have been ignored for decades. We go on about all the accomodation being built through kar sewa but what has been done to empower and advance the local Sikhs. The cost of a pizza oven imported form italy could easily have paid for a house for a couple of sikhs.

We need to get our priorities right.We have a chance to bring all the vanjara, sikilghar Sikhs back into the panth and boost our headcount (some say by 20million Sikhs). All it takes is pyaar and help. Before we know it christian missionaries will be there and provide the usual free education and other freebies and win over these Sikhs we have ignored for decades.

^^

For God's sake it was the 300th Gurta-Gadhi celebration, ofcourse Sikhs are going to celebrate with all their devotion.

Helping poor Sikhs doesn't mean we have to divert all of our celebration funds. Two seperate things.

Some Gursikh wants to do Pizza seva for the langar, so let them. Some Gursikh wants to help poor sikhs, let them do that.

This type of thinking is what leads people to the extreme of suggesting that we should stop supporting gurdwaras and instead should open up hospitals and schools.

What we have to think is, why can't we do both, what's stopping us?

It's like saying why do you have so much food in your fridge when there are homelsss hungry people out there. The solution is not to empty out your fridge, but to help feed the hungry while still enjoying your own God given food.

Similarly, there's nothing wrong with celebrating an important event in our history, like was done at Hazoor Sahib.

Are 300 dishes necessary to celebrate an event ? The people are there to celebrate Gurta-Gadhi, it is not a food carnival.

Did we not enjoy celebrating Vasaikhi in 1999 ? Never heard of anyone serving 300 different dishes for that.

Some Gursikh wants to do Pizza seva for the langar, so let them. Some Gursikh wants to help poor sikhs, let them do that.

Thats the thing every one rushes to do projects that will get them noticed. Building houses for vanjara and brining them back into the Sikh fold will not get them immediate media time.

Are 300 dishes necessary to celebrate an event ? The people are there to celebrate Gurta-Gadhi, it is not a food carnival.

Did we not enjoy celebrating Vasaikhi in 1999 ? Never heard of anyone serving 300 different dishes for that.

Thats the thing every one rushes to do projects that will get them noticed. Building houses for vanjara and brining them back into the Sikh fold will not get them immediate media time.

It's someones shardha that they want to serve 300 dishes on the 300th Guta-Gadhi Divas. So just appreciate their effort.

Anyway, no point going back and forth on this.