Spreading Wrong Message To The Youth As Parchaar?

Tera

Vaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh,

I'm not sure how many on here downloaded the 'The Unreleased Sagas' by Killa which a few people on here shared the link to. I just felt the need to express my views.

Been listening to it now and it honestly seems that Killa is a good guy wanting to do the right thing for Sikhi and reach out to the youth however I think there are many ways to do that and this seems it could be done in a slightly better way. Sure music is a great way and Immortal Productions with their Shaheedi Albums have proved that but in 'The Unreleased Sagas' there seems to be too much hate and violence and I certainly wouldn't want my younger brothers/sisters listening to such music.

Extract from beginning of Track 6 - I'm a Singh

You want this beef, i'll break your teeth,

with a few blows i'll leave you unconscious on the street.

I hit you up with my J20, slash you across the face blood,

make you spill a lot of blood,

Its either love or war and we at war blood,

got a score to settle blood,

and its on till we dead and gone,

you can bring your backup, I got something for all of them,

I aint a thug but i'm rolling with a little revolver snub,

I got fake friends that give me fake hugs,

They want to see my end,

I gotta RIP them before they RIP me,

its about survival,

I gotta turn the streets into a war zone and get it on,

Find my enemies and get it on,

I giving you people describe my music,

call it ghetto gutter rap,

i'm spitting facts, aint no denying that,

my enemies want to hit me up, blap blap,

I got to buy a ninja sword so i can chop limbs off,

I gotta buy a big machine with a big clip so I can pop it off

Not exactly setting an example to the youth is it... And I didn't even include the lyrics where they on about how they should have cut up a Police officer. By this time I was like !!!!! but he brings it back and the message in the track is how we should keep shaster and fight for our rights. Now he says in the track later on:

You know what type of spirit we got now?

One Singh takes a step up a ladder, steps forward and does something for the Panth,

and there's 10 Singhs ready to pull him 10 steps down

This is not me trying to pull you down, in fact i would say thank you for the seva you are doing and the message you are trying to get across but my humble beanti to you would be try delivering it in a slightly different way. We have a very rich and beautiful past and there are many many stories which could be used to emphasise the message and inspire the youth.

If we speak to someone with hatred and try to assert our superiority, it will create hatred in the minds of everyone. So long as we have the spirit of love, so long as we have the support of Satguru Hargobind Sahib, the Master of Miri and Piri, is there any power on earth that can subdue us?
Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale

I agree, the first set of prose (is that what's called rap? - I say prose because I have not heard how it goes.) is the wrong sort of thing to feed our youth - in fact when I first read it, I thought it was just the sort of cloacal produce from some hyped up street "wise-boy" Negro wannabee, that it aspires to blatantly be.

Little to comment really - its just wrong, wrong, wrong....

Brothers and sisters, you’re entitled to have your views. Firstly you must realise that for certain people the ‘streets’ are a dangerous place...Active targets!

Killa comes with love, and talks about the real life struggle it’s not hype I assure you, I understand why some of you feel this type of experience should be put across in this way maybe some lyrics could be changed.

But you got to remember as Sikhs we have always been oppressed and still are, but now day’s it feels as though many have become un-active and just want to sit around. I’m not saying we all go out and start riots but, I’m just going to remind yourself you’re the sons and daughters of those who fought 1 v 125,000…

If I have said anything wrong forgive me, it’s just my view and some views of others.

You make a good point about the artist. My own opinion is biased from my own perspective, which is probably a mile away from what its like for someone, who has to constantly watch his back on the streets.

However I still think that it can easily lead someone to the wrong conclusions.

We have been opressed and there is still ongoing, ample evidence of this in many examples around the world. But such injustices should never lead to the syndrome of us having a 'chip' on our shoulders. Sikhs have done fantastically as a community - much like those other opressed peoples - the Jews. Our success is partially down to the ease with which we integrate with all socities around the world and get on with things - hard work, whether using brain or brawn - a legitimate legacy of our opressions and determination not to be downtrodden. There is no need for a Singh/ Kaur to feel that society owes him, or that he needs to be vigilent against percieved threats - that is a schizoid view of the world and one which afflicts the Muslims around the world.

The artist has put his point across in a manner that fails the characteristic of the children of Guru Gobind Singh. Our youth that lack self confidence, need a better parchaar - teach them about their heritage and if they truely have faith then the jot of sant-sipahi will reside in their hearts and be manifest in their outlook.

:6 At The Lyricsss

You make a good point about the artist. My own opinion is biased from my own perspective, which is probably a mile away from what its like for someone, who has to constantly watch his back on the streets.

However I still think that it can easily lead someone to the wrong conclusions.

We have been opressed and there is still ongoing, ample evidence of this in many examples around the world. But such injustices should never lead to the syndrome of us having a 'chip' on our shoulders. Sikhs have done fantastically as a community - much like those other opressed peoples - the Jews. Our success is partially down to the ease with which we integrate with all socities around the world and get on with things - hard work, whether using brain or brawn - a legitimate legacy of our opressions and determination not to be downtrodden. There is no need for a Singh/ Kaur to feel that society owes him, or that he needs to be vigilent against percieved threats - that is a schizoid view of the world and one which afflicts the Muslims around the world.

The artist has put his point across in a manner that fails the characteristic of the children of Guru Gobind Singh. Our youth that lack self confidence, need a better parchaar - teach them about their heritage and if they truely have faith then the jot of sant-sipahi will reside in their hearts and be manifest in their outlook.

^^ :TH:

I dunno, maybe im not seeing it the same as everyone else, but erm whats wrong with it?

Iv heard jakareh that are much much more violent then that, and if you listen to dhadhi varan although they describe it differenly, they pretty much say the same thing! I.e. if you want to have trouble with the khalsa, then bring it on but were going to send you back in body bags!

Varaan about singhs fighting with talwars and slicing each other in half, using ak47's and grenades etc is all just as violent and in fact is worse then using a J20 bottle! Remember patta patta singha da vari? I.e. even the leaves are the enemies of the singhs, ie singhs are being persucted by everyone.

Even dasam bani where guru gobind singh ji is extremely descriptive of battle scenes, the way the blood spurts out, the way the arrows are flying through the sky like snakes, the way cut off limbs arms legs are lying all over the battlefield, the way injured soldiers are falling around like drunks, the way they shout KILL KILL and LAUGH at each other as they smash each others skulls etc. This is all very gruesome stuff. I guess its not for everyone, but there we go. :)

You have quoted sant jarnail singh ji, but sant also said bring it on as well! He said we are not wearing bangles, if you want to come here then ajoh we'll show you what we got waiting for you! Now for some people this will get them saying hai hai whats sant saying, for many others they will just say vah guru da singh ne dushman nu lalkarea he!

We all grow in different situations and live in diff areas, and most will never understand what the artist is talking about. Lets just say that this is a true and real reality, and one which most of us will never have to deal with.

He aint said anything against sikhi or encouraged people to attack innocents, just said if people want to attack him, then he's more then ready to respond. So from what you have quoted nothing wrong in my simplistic view. :)