1984 Riots Witness Ccuses Cbi Of Harassment

This article appeared in today's ( Dec 25) Times of India (TOI) on Page 2. Caption is '1984 riots witness accuses CBI of harassment'.

After a collective grilling of 14 hours spanning 2 days, Giani Surinder Singh – one of the two eyewitnesses of the anti Sikh riots being questioned by CBI in USA – has alleged harassment at the hand of CBI.

“ It seemed that instead of Jagdish Tytler , the anted to portray me as the perpetrator of the 1984 riots. Otherwise why should they be asking irrelevant questions like what clothes , shoes and eye glasses were people in the mob wearing and from which localities they came. These questions should have been directed at Tytler, who brought the mob and directed then to ‘kill Sikhs first and rob them later’ n angry Surinder Singh told TOI from New York.

CBI Spokesman Harish Bhal, however, refused to comment on the development saying that the case was still under investigation (sic) and thus CBI could not share any information. He claimed that it was usual to face allegations during investigation.

Surender Singh’s attorney , Gurpatwant Singh Pannum – who is also the Lwyer for the other witness Jasbir Singh – added “ Its astonishing and mind boggling that a legal witness of Jgdish Tytler’s role is questioned for 15 hours while the accused is not even questioned for 2 minutes.”

Singh who had earlier recorded his statement with CBI here in February this year, also questioned he necessity of interrogating him again. “ Please remember , that I along with my family , was trying to save my life and was hiding in the roof of Gurudwara Pulbngash . I wasn’t in the mob where I could notice the mobs attire. Tytler being a prominent politician , was a familiar face , so he was instantly recognizeable , but how am I supposed to know the rioters and from where they came. All this happened 24 years ago and I’m already 68 years old. They (investigation agencies) are trying to wear us out by dragging the case and many of us would die in the process” Singh rued.

The Granthi, who moved to US eight months back after his deposition before CBI in Chandigarh, alleged that not even a single question about the role Tytler played in the instigation of the mob and killings of the Sikhs was asked. The Gurudwara building had been set on fire and 36 Birs of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji were burnt on Nov 01, 1984.

There's picture : Hunting past : Various human rights advocates, New York Officials and Sikh Groups gathered outside the Consulate Of India. They hoped the new testimony by Surinder Singh and Jasbir Singh would bring worldwide pressure for the case to go on trial.

In a box :

Other to meet officials on X-mas

The other key witness, Jasbir Singh, who has given his eyewitness account before several Commissions , but has never been contacted by any investigation agency, would be meeting CBI officials at San Fransisco in the Indian Consulate. Jasbir Singh alleged after his Media statement in 2007 , he was contacted by someone close to Tytler nd offered bribe and intimidated him , but he refused to change his statement.

So as can be seen Rahul Gandhi tried to endear himself to Sikhs and behind the scenes in my opinion Congress has got CBI into the act to try to get Tytler cleared.

Guru Rakha

This article appeared in today's ( Dec 25) Times of India (TOI) on Page 2. Caption is '1984 riots witness accuses CBI of harassment'.

After a collective grilling of 14 hours spanning 2 days, Giani Surinder Singh – one of the two eyewitnesses of the anti Sikh riots being questioned by CBI in USA – has alleged harassment at the hand of CBI.

" It seemed that instead of Jagdish Tytler , the anted to portray me as the perpetrator of the 1984 riots. Otherwise why should they be asking irrelevant questions like what clothes , shoes and eye glasses were people in the mob wearing and from which localities they came. These questions should have been directed at Tytler, who brought the mob and directed then to 'kill Sikhs first and rob them later' n angry Surinder Singh told TOI from New York.

CBI Spokesman Harish Bhal, however, refused to comment on the development saying that the case was still under investigation (sic) and thus CBI could not share any information. He claimed that it was usual to face allegations during investigation.

Surender Singh's attorney , Gurpatwant Singh Pannum – who is also the Lwyer for the other witness Jasbir Singh – added " Its astonishing and mind boggling that a legal witness of Jgdish Tytler's role is questioned for 15 hours while the accused is not even questioned for 2 minutes."

Singh who had earlier recorded his statement with CBI here in February this year, also questioned he necessity of interrogating him again. " Please remember , that I along with my family , was trying to save my life and was hiding in the roof of Gurudwara Pulbngash . I wasn't in the mob where I could notice the mobs attire. Tytler being a prominent politician , was a familiar face , so he was instantly recognizeable , but how am I supposed to know the rioters and from where they came. All this happened 24 years ago and I'm already 68 years old. They (investigation agencies) are trying to wear us out by dragging the case and many of us would die in the process" Singh rued.

The Granthi, who moved to US eight months back after his deposition before CBI in Chandigarh, alleged that not even a single question about the role Tytler played in the instigation of the mob and killings of the Sikhs was asked. The Gurudwara building had been set on fire and 36 Birs of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji were burnt on Nov 01, 1984.

There's picture : Hunting past : Various human rights advocates, New York Officials and Sikh Groups gathered outside the Consulate Of India. They hoped the new testimony by Surinder Singh and Jasbir Singh would bring worldwide pressure for the case to go on trial.

In a box :

Other to meet officials on X-mas

The other key witness, Jasbir Singh, who has given his eyewitness account before several Commissions , but has never been contacted by any investigation agency, would be meeting CBI officials at San Fransisco in the Indian Consulate. Jasbir Singh alleged after his Media statement in 2007 , he was contacted by someone close to Tytler nd offered bribe and intimidated him , but he refused to change his statement.

So as can be seen Rahul Gandhi tried to endear himself to Sikhs and behind the scenes in my opinion Congress has got CBI into the act to try to get Tytler cleared.

Guru Rakha

Following article captioned ' Tytler taunted mob for not killing enough Sikhs' appeared in TOI dated December 26.

Jasbir Singh, a key witness in the 1984 riots, who will record his maiden statement with the CBI on Christmas Eve in San Francisco has sent a copy of his affidavit to TOI before deposing in front of CBI. He fears there may be tampering but is determined to tell CBI that on November 03 that year, he saw ‘ Minister Jagdish Tytler rebuke his supporters for not killing enough Sikhs in the area, despite being given full freedom.’

Jasbir decided to give statements in the Media in USA last year, following a case closure report submitted by CBI in Court. CBI had cited inability to trace Jasbir Singh, which meant giving a clean chit to Tytler for lack of evidence.

A resident of Tilak Vihar, Delhi, Jasbir had earlier given affidavits to Jain Aggarwal Commission and Nanawati Commission stating himself to be an eyewitness and called Tytler as the ‘mastermind and leading conspirator of the 1984 Sikh massacres’. Surprisingly , he was never called for testimony.

In the affidavit , Jasbir has stated that after a mob razed his house on November 1, he shifted with his Uncle but his Uncle was killed. Jasbor saved his life by cutting short his hair but lost 26 members ofhis family. One Sucha Singh, whom he met in a relief camp , took him to his house in Qutram Lane. ‘It was here, while going through the new locality’ that a clean shaven Jasbir hd seen a group of people near TB Hospital. The day was November 03 and time 11 pm.

‘ As I went closer, a car arrived and minister Jagdish Tytler got out. I recognized him as he used to visit trans- Yamuna area along with Sanjay Gandhi. He immediately started rebuking the people assembled here, saying his instructions were not carried out faithfully; that his position had been greatly compromised and lowered in the eyes of Central leader as there have been only nominal killings in the constituency as compared to those in East Delhi , outer Delhi and Cantt.’

He said ‘ I has promised large scale killings of Sikhs and sought full protection, but you have betrayed me and let me down. Saying this, he left in a huff ‘ the affidavit states.

Jasbir who drives a truck in the US for living , had also claimed that he and his family members continued to receive threats even after he left India in 2000.

Following the allegations of harassment of another victim Surinder Singh by CBI, an anguished Jasbir Singh said ‘ Recent Mumbai killings were highly condemnable and we demand punishment for the terrorists. But, if the Police could track the case within 59 hours, why is it that not a single perpetrator of the 1984 riots has been punished till date?”

AISSF President Karnail Singh Peermohammad , whose Association is trying t trace the eyewitnesses , maintained ‘By sending the CBI to USA , the Government has once again gien Sikhs great hopes that justice may finally come their way.’

In a box:

Canadian Lawyer asks CM to intervene

Moga: Canadian Lawyer of Punjabi origin has expressed concern over the alleged failure of Punjab Government in the rehabilitation of 1984 riots victims affected families. Whe addressing a meeting of the 1984 riot affected families of the district here on Thursday Paramjit Singh Sandhu appealed Badal to personally intervene in the matter to provide maximum financial help to the victim’s kin. Sandhu added he would also take up the issue in the NRI Sabha meeting in Jalandar next week so that the Sabha could help out the victims financially.’

Note: After doing beadbi of his kess Jasbir grew back his kess

http://in.truveo.com/CNNIBN-1984riotsjasbi...e/id/2926808769

Guru Rakha

It saddens me to see our Politicians treat this day as a a day to woo voters. They set up podiums for themselves and rather that speaking on the martyrdom they talk elections. And this time its even more with the general elections around the corner.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20081226/punjab1.htm#11

Jor Mela a platform to woo voters

Congress blows poll bugle, SAD (A) announces candidates

Gurdeep Singh Mann

Tribune News Service

Fatehgarh Sahib, December 25

Religion took a backseat at the ongoing Jor Mela as political parties left no stone unturned to woo devotees and made tall claims foreseeing forthcoming elections.

While the SAD-BJP indulged in mudslinging against the Congress, the SAD (Amritsar) announced its Lok Sabha election candidates.

However, the absence of former Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh remained the talk of the day.

Paying tributes to sahibzadas of Guru Gobind Singh’s, SAD leaders called for a change of guard at the Centre.

Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal used this opportunity to highlight achievements of his government and urged people to elect BJP-led National Democratic Alliance.

He lashed out at the previous Congress government, accusing it of an autocratic style of functioning.

SAD president Sukhbir Badal, too, spoke on the occasion and outlined major initiatives of the government towards the progress of the state.

SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar spoke about the pilot project of SGPC Nanhi Chhaan. Prominent among others included Cabinet Ministers Manoranjan Kalia, Captain Kanwaljit Singh, Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha Charanjit Singh Atwal, general secretary, SAD, Professor Prem Singh Chandumajra, former president, SGPC, Kirpal Singh Badungar and others.

From the Congress camp senior leaders, including president, PPCC, Mohinder Singh Kay Pee, Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, Shamsher Singh Dullo, Payal MLA Tej Parkash Singh, MLA Kharar Balbir Singh Sidhu, ex-minister Jagmohan Singh Kang, MLA Bholath Sukhpal Singh Khaira, ex-Minster Harbans Lal and others started their active campaign for LS polls from today itself.

The SAD (Amritsar) declared its candidates for two Lok Sabha seats. SAD (A) president Simranjit Singh Mann announced he would contest elections from Sangrur constituency, while Dhyan Singh Mand would contest elections from Ferozepur.

Guru Rakha

The key witness is 68 years of age. The CBI are dragging it around in circles and asking irrelevent questons without questioning the Murderer accused. They are attempting to stall time and drag it on for some more years in the hope that The 68 year old Gyani will die within this time period due to old age. Then there will be no more key witness and the proceedings cannot continue and come to a halt.

They win again.

We should leave the past behind, and accept the present and dont worry about future because then we will be accepting the hukam. everything is under the hukam, gurbani teaches us to accept the hukam.

Let god do justice, all of them that harm others will get their fruits of their deeds back. no one escapes the law of karma.

why should we take the matter in our hands. i know its hard to forget whats happened, but if you dont, you will still have the hate inside you. hate wont get you nowhere, if we start to hate hindus for what they did, we are not gona get anywhere, gurbani teaches us to love all creation, and accept gods hukam.

that way we will be at peace and will focus on GOD and our bhagti rather than what happened in past.

forgiveness is the name of the GOD, let it be the light in your eyes and forgive everyone. when we forgive others, god forgives us as well. thats the law of nature, what we give to nature, comes back to us.

We should leave the past behind, and accept the present and dont worry about future because then we will be accepting the hukam. everything is under the hukam, gurbani teaches us to accept the hukam.

Let god do justice, all of them that harm others will get their fruits of their deeds back. no one escapes the law of karma.

why should we take the matter in our hands. i know its hard to forget whats happened, but if you dont, you will still have the hate inside you. hate wont get you nowhere, if we start to hate hindus for what they did, we are not gona get anywhere, gurbani teaches us to love all creation, and accept gods hukam.

that way we will be at peace and will focus on GOD and our bhagti rather than what happened in past.

forgiveness is the name of the GOD, let it be the light in your eyes and forgive everyone. when we forgive others, god forgives us as well. thats the law of nature, what we give to nature, comes back to us.

In the face of such grave injustices how can one forgive????

Salt is rubbed in our wounds time and again. The perpetrators of the riots are made Minister (Tytler and Kamalnath).

Rahul Gandhi announces in Amritsar that the perpetrators of the 1984 riots should be punished. And a few days later he's seen on TV sitting with Tytler on the podium discussing something with him.

Before asking Sikhs to forgive please try to read Phoolla Ji's book 'When a big tree shook Delhi'. And if possible try to visit Tirlokpuri in Delhi and talk to some fo the victims. Advising is the easiest thing to do.

Guru Rakha

yes that easy u for u to say bhaji/bhenji but what about those ppl who are the victims of the riots...

those that had their daughters raped infront of them...their sons,husbands,brother,fathers have tyres put on their necks,kerosene poured over them and burnt alive....those ppl cant move on in their lives till justice is done....Guroo Gobind Singh Jee took the matter in to their hands...Bandha Singh Bahadhur took the matter in to His hands...he could have said yeah what happended to the Sahibzade is in the past....but he didnt....Baba Deep Singh Jee took the matter into their hands....

for those that say we should forget abt 84....its easy for u...ur families havent been affected by 84....my whole family has been and i knw that my grandparents can never move on till justice is done

Would you forgive the man that repeatedly raped your mother bitting into her cheek while he enjoyed himself at your mums expense?

Would you forgive the police officer who abducted your 15 year old sister up from her way back from school, for her then only to be tortured and raped to death?

Would you forgive the man who kicked your pregnant partner making them to lose your unborn child?

One can only truly forgive if they are detached from the other party, their actions and the situation and 5 vikkars, this is showing God's real virtue of forgivness. 99.8% of people on this earth are most likely not capable of this. Are you this bhai sahib ji? Are we this here on SS this?

Forgivness is not just simply saying 'I forgive you' then holding unpleasant thoughts against them afterwards. It just doesn't work like that... It is good that you are looking up to the high values and virtues derived from Gurbani and pointing us in the right direction, but daas does not pretend to be something that daas isn't, daas is not on that level of spirituality where everything is True/Vaheguroo. Its just like trying to say its okay to be a gay Sikh because the end game is that its all about the soul, when really gays are sexually attracted to each other - suffer from 5 vikkars, therefore hinding behind something which they cannot truly live up to themselves.

In the movement there were Singhs who did truly forgive perpetrators of inhumane acts, however they rememebered that they also have a duty to perform for the betterment of humanity so when these people repeated their actions again, they were delivered to the court of real justice permenantely. These Singhs rememebered why we were blessed with a Kirpan for (not just to perform Bhog with like many Sikhs today).

There is nothing wrong in remembering, this does not automatically lead to hate brewing up. But to forget and turn a blind eye means that one can never truly learn from the lessons of history or maybe don't want to accept what has happened and have little compassion. People guilty of this will also be aiding perpertrators in a subtle way, for them only to continually feed their nasty habits and have free reign until they naturally pass. All just because true justice is waiting for them in the hereafter and they do not feel it is right to take action in any way, shape or form in the here and present. Where is the compassion in that? Where is the greater love for Gods creation? Should we be ruled by tyrants and lost minded individuals consumed by kaam, krodh, lobh, moh and hunkar? How will the light of Truth ever come about if we dont take action be it in the life we live and the life that we are part of, humanity?

Finally also remember this though bhai sahib ji, all those that choose to take a stand are also bound by Hukam and it is Hukam too for justice in the here and present to be delivered in one way or the other when it is the case... so please do not mention Hukam is this and that when one cannot comprehend all of the bigger picture.