4 Or 5 Takhts

In other topic going on this forum, Veer Valli Singh Jeeoo stated that Budha Dal is the 5 takht which is always on the move and keeps a check on the 4 other takhts. I was just thinking about this and I find that this is not completely in accordance with gurmat. Reason for that is only Guru Sahib is 100 % correct. A sikh(irrespective of his avastha) can never be 100 % perfect. As a result if Budha Dal keeps a check on the 4 jathedaars of 4 takhts, there has to be someone who can keep a check on the Budha Dal Jathedaar as well......

I have a feeling that period between 1704-1708 is a very important period in this khalsa history. I have an intution that this might have happened :

Guru Gobind Singh Jee started a samparda, named Damdami Taksal and appointed Baba Deep Singh Jee as the first jathedaar. Damdami Taksal = police of Khalsa nation + school of gurbani education.

After this Guru Sahib, after giving amrit to Baba Banda Singh Jee,and made Baba Banda Singh Jee the commandar in chief of Dal Khalsa (army of Khalsa Nation). Guru jee gave him 5 singhs who could advice/HUKAM to Baba Banda Singh Jee. Punj singhs can only do benti to Guru Sahib( as happened during Chamkaur jung when punj singhs did benti to Guru Sahib to leave the fort) but can give hukam to the commander in chief of the army of Khalsa nation. So basically, there are 4 takhts and 1 Damdami Taksali and their jathedaars are the 5 Singh Sahibaan. Dal Khalsa is the chakarvarti punjavan takht. This model makes very good sense to me.

Jathedaar of Dal khalsa= Head of army + Head of Khalsa Nation

Jathedaar of Damdami Taksal = Head of Police + Principal of school of gurbani

education.

Jathedaars of 4 Takhts + Jathedaar of Damdami Taksal = 5 Singh Sahibaan who can advice and in some rare case even hukam to Jathedar of Dal Khalsa.

I am not trying to be pro-nihang or something. Lets forget all the mess of the last 150 years, all the differences in rehit-maryadas for a minute and assume that we are the panth of 1708. This model makes perfect sense to me.

maybe this is off topic, but i have always wanted to know more about nihang singhs, why are there 2 differnt dals if they have same maryada? and why do the nihang singhs say they are the "panjva takht"???

note: daas is not questioning any nihang singh on why they believe wat they belive. i just dont know wat nihang singhs are really about, and i just need more info on them.

Budha Dal and Tarna Dhal

Budha Dal for elders who can't walk arround the world. And Tarna Dhal for youngester who live on horses *g* and go arround the world... That was more or less the basic idea

Budha Dal vale say that the 5 Takht is Budha Dal. I have a Gutka Sahib where there is Ardas with that. Meaning is that Guru Sahib ji made 4 Takht and the 5 takth is the Khalsa.

the 5 Takht Damdama Sahib is "founded" laterly. No body knew before that this was a Takth. It's as more and more the historians find details and do research abt the histories and so more details come out...

There are a lot of stuff hiddin in Bibliotekhs and privat houses.

But I am not sure abt these facts so please correct me Khalsa Ji

The 5 Takth

* Akal Takhat at Amritsar,

* Takhat Keshgarh Sahib at Anandpur,

* Takhat Patna Sahib in Bihar District,

* Takhat Hazur Sahib in Nanded and

* Takhat Damdama Sahib in Talwandi Sabo, Bhatinda.

Mahan Kosh states that the four non-moving takhats are: Keshgarh Sahib, Hazur Sahib, Patna Sahib and Akal Takht,

Budha Dal has always functioned as a non-local takht which is why Maharaja Ranjit Singh was subjected to punishment by Akali Phoola Singh ji, this is because Budha Dal's role is to ensure that the other four takhts function in accordance with Gurmat.

This role is even symbolized in the Nihang Bana itself:

"The tall turban called a damala is surmounted by a cloth or a flag (pharhara). Around this turban are placed one or two steel or iron rings/quoits. The vertical position of where this ring is worn signifies the individuals spiritual attainment; the higher the ring the greater the spiritual development. There main diagrammatic symbol for explaining their idea of chakravorty is the swastika: which symbolises rotational movement through four static points around a centre. The four points represent the four established Takhts, and the rotation through them represent the moving fifth Takht of the Nihangs that is meant to keep the four stationary Takhts in check."

Question to the sangat:

Can one jathedar serve for 2 takhts?

If the answer is no, then Buddha Dal can't be the 5th Takhth, as Akali Baba Phoola Singh Ji was aswell the Jathedar of Buddha Dal and the Akaal Takht Sahib too.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sorry to deviate this thread but just picking up on a point made by Harinder Singh. Why was Baba Banda Singh Ji Bahadhur made commander in chief of the Khalsa armies if Bhai Binod Singh Ji was the jathedhar of the Budha Dal and therefore the ‘Dal Panth’?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Question to the sangat:

Can one jathedar serve for 2 takhts?

If the answer is no, then Buddha Dal can't be the 5th Takhth, as Akali Baba Phoola Singh Ji was aswell the Jathedar of Buddha Dal and the Akaal Takht Sahib too.

Jathedars of Akaal Takhat http://' target="_blank">

Following persons had been appointed as Jathedars of Akaal Takhat.

1. Bhai Gurdas ji upto 1637 A.D.

2. Bhai Mani Singh Shaheed upto 1734 A.D.

4. Jathedar Nawab Kapoor Singh Ji upto 1753 A.D.

5. S. Jassa Singh Ahluwalia uto 1783 A.D.

6. Jathedar Akali Phoola Singh upto 1822 A.D.

7. Baba Hanuman Singh for small period

8. Baba Prehlad Singh for small period

9. Baba Gian Singh for small period

10. Jathedar Teja Singh Bhuchchar upto Oct. 1921 A.D.

11. Jathedar Teja Singh Akarpuri upto 1923 and 1927 to 1931 A.Di

12. Jathedar Udham Singh Nagoke upto 1924 A.D.

13. Jathedar Didar Singh upto 1925 A.D.

14. Jathedar Jawahar Singh upto 1926 A.D.

15. Giani Gurmukh Singh Musafir upto 1934 A.D.

16. lathedar Mohan Singh Nagoke upto 1952 A.D.

17. Jathedar Achhar Singh upto 1955 A.D.

18. Jathedar Sadhu Singh Bhaura upto 1980 A.D.

19. Jathedar Gurdial Singh Ajnoha upto 1982 A.D.

20. Jathedar Partap Singh upto 1984 A.D.

21. Jathedar Kirpal Singh upto 1963-65 and 1982-86 A.