Vegetarian Foods

Khalasthan86

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Can you please tell me, what vegetarian foods provide

carbohydrates

fibre

fats

protein

vitamins

minerals

I've tried searching this on Google, but they come up with meats, I used to eat meat before, know I am going to be a vegetarin, so I need to know what foods I need. (I don't mind Panjabi Foods e.g. Dal, Aloo Gobi etc.)

i would say eat alot of soya especially for protien, but recently i found out that it promote estrogen production in the body, for weight trainin this isnt good..

A recent research conference up in LA, a few major manufacturers from the natural foods industry were there making presentations. One of the major points they continually hit on is the expanding Soy Protein market, and the barriers to entry due to misinformation.

A ton of studies that have been done that show absolutely no affect in testosterone or estrogen levels in males or females when using a Soy Protein Isolate. The studies were done against Whey Isolates, Soy, and a placebo, and the results that came back in terms of testosterone and estrogen levels were all exactly the same with no variations in any of the groups.

They also discussed the apprehension in females considering Soy proteins due to potential carcinogens leading to breast cancer. There have been no studies that have shown any sort of conclusive results in humans whatsoever that link Soy protein to breast cancer; a few studies that were conducted in pharmaceutical laboratories with lab animals were the basis for these conclusions, but the amount of material introduced into the test subjects far exceeded the highest level of human consumption for the material.

Soy protein is a cheaper, ecologically sound, and now a widely available dairy alternative, with an amino profile that is easily comparable to whey proteins. Only 5% of the current supply of Soy products is used for human consumption; the other 95% of the material is being used as animal feed. With the growing costs and demands for dairy products, Soy will become increasingly more and more popular and widely used.

i would say eat alot of soya especially for protien, but recently i found out that it promote estrogen production in the body, for weight trainin this isnt good..

A recent research conference up in LA, a few major manufacturers from the natural foods industry were there making presentations. One of the major points they continually hit on is the expanding Soy Protein market, and the barriers to entry due to misinformation.

A ton of studies that have been done that show absolutely no affect in testosterone or estrogen levels in males or females when using a Soy Protein Isolate. The studies were done against Whey Isolates, Soy, and a placebo, and the results that came back in terms of testosterone and estrogen levels were all exactly the same with no variations in any of the groups.

They also discussed the apprehension in females considering Soy proteins due to potential carcinogens leading to breast cancer. There have been no studies that have shown any sort of conclusive results in humans whatsoever that link Soy protein to breast cancer; a few studies that were conducted in pharmaceutical laboratories with lab animals were the basis for these conclusions, but the amount of material introduced into the test subjects far exceeded the highest level of human consumption for the material.

Soy protein is a cheaper, ecologically sound, and now a widely available dairy alternative, with an amino profile that is easily comparable to whey proteins. Only 5% of the current supply of Soy products is used for human consumption; the other 95% of the material is being used as animal feed. With the growing costs and demands for dairy products, Soy will become increasingly more and more popular and widely used.

i hope that is true the information that you posted there. but i have my doubts. try reading up information from independant studies. and not research conducted by a soy protien foods manufacturer. independant research is far less likly to be bised as opposed to soy protien foods manufacturer who sells the product.

i hope that is true the information that you posted there. but i have my doubts. try reading up information from independant studies. and not research conducted by a soy protien foods manufacturer. independant research is far less likly to be bised as opposed to soy protien foods manufacturer who sells the product.

I have read numerous studies in regards to the various proteins, amino acids etc.

If I took the time to post them here, It would go over people's heads.

please view the site for other information.

The bottom line is milk proteins are the highest quality proteins, but soy taken as an additional form of protein in the diet in moderate amounts does not significantly affect blood hormone levels to any extent that is significant, especially in those individuals who regularly exercise.

An example:

Consumption of soy protein has been associated with altered risk of developing endocrine-regulated cancers. This study was designed to assess the independent effect of soy relative to animal protein and soy-derived isoflavones on circulating estrogen and androgen concentrations in postmenopausal women and older men. Forty-two subjects (> 50 yr) with low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels of > or = 3.36 mmol/l were fed each of 4 diets in randomized order for 6 wk/phase. All food and drink were provided. Diets contained 25 g soy or common sources of animal protein/4.2 MJ containing trace or 50 mg isoflavones/4.2 MJ. At the end of each diet phase, concentrations of estrone sulfate, estrone, estradiol, testosterone, androstendione, dihydrotestosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate were measured. In postmenopausal women, concentrations of estrone were higher and its precursor, dehydroepiandrosterone, lower after consuming the soy compared with animal protein diets (P = 0.0396 and 0.0374, respectively). There was no significant effect of isoflavones on any of the hormones measured. In older men, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentrations were lower after consuming the isoflavone (P = 0.0106) and higher after soy, compared with the animal protein diets (P = 0.0118). These data suggest that relatively large amounts of soy protein or soy-derived isoflavones had modest and limited sex-specific effects on circulating hormone levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15749623

One has to be very specific about the population of interest, the exact item provided (soy protein) as opposed to (isolated isoflavones), and then determine the effects if any on any particular outcomes.

If there are any studies that I have not considered, please provide links as I can obtain full access, and I can research and provide more updated information

I am absolutely crazy about tofu, its just so tasty and there is so much you can do with it.

One of my favourite quick recipies is a tofu scramble, just crumble up some tofu (about half a block) cut up a few peppers, mushrooms, whatever you like, saute all together with a bit of oil, chuck in abit of salt and whatever seasoning you like, I use 'steakhouse' seasoning. Nice to eat on top of a toast.

Another one is a 'tofu steak', made this the other day, delicious. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...aks_85981.shtml

If you are just turning veg you may find this useful, I've been so all my life and did lol

http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/UKvegkit/recipes.asp

The only difficulty with a vegeterian diet is getting the right amount of protein, but it takes a bit of effort to make sure you eat well.

Personally I like quorn as it has almost the equivalent amount of protein as meat and tastes good! you have to mix and match and eat well and you will get a well balanced diet.

Eat wholemeal bread, each slice has 5g of protein! 4 slices of that is equivalent to a chicken breast! so in the morning maybe 2 slices of wholemeal bread, NO BUTTER but oliveoil on your bread. Have it with baked beans etc. Give up white bread, have brown bread, brown nan etc.

eat frequently and if you find if difficult to get a meal in beacause you are at uni etc, have a nourishment drink! its like eating a meal.

I take whey for protein and there's nothing wrong with it and I love hearing the misconception "if you eat propper food, your muscles will stay bigger for longer" this is complete bull****. Your body recognises the content as protein, doesnt matter if its whey, dhal, break of a chicken.

Another recommendation is rather than eating 3 big meals a day, have 8 small meals (1 every 2 or so hours)

Eat peanuts, dried fruits and nuts, u can get from costco. eat lots of fruit and one more thing...

drink lots of water!!!!!!! do you know in 72hours you are a completely new person? your cells have been replaced with new ones. well imagine 75% of this is water, if you don't drink enough water(=fuel for your body) you will naturally feel tired, week and stressed. Drink 1.5-2 litres a day plain water. Cup of cha does not classify as one glass of water lol