Chawar Di Maryada

Romakaur

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Sadh sangat ji, I need your advice on an issue which my friend has recently come across in a Gurudwara.

He is a non-sikh but believes in Dhan Sri Guru Granth Maharaj ji a lot.

Not even a single day goes without him visiting the Gurudwara any where in the city.

Yesterday when he went to Gurudwara, He took the chawar & was doing sewa to Maharaj ji.

Suddenly, one sikh told him not to touch the chawar as he is non-sikh & that is not the maryada.

My friend knows very much about Sikkhism got very angry on the fellow being.

But as he was helpless, he just left he Gurudwara.

Can you all tell me that a non-sikh cannot do Chawar to Maharaj ji.

Is it only we sikhs who can touch it.

My friend is very disheartened by all this & says sikhism allows all religion people to come bow their head in Gurudwara then why this differentiation.

kindly advice us what right ir wrong.

Bhool chuk maaf..

Brother there is no such maryada anywhere--this is a complete Neo-Sikh, SGPC innovation,

In real Sikhi prem is what's important,

The same thing actually happened here, what happened was a mona Sikh was doing chor seva

and a granthi came and told him to stop, well there was a sant there just getting off the stage and he saw what was going on and he said to the granthi "why are you stopping him from doing chor seva?"

the granthi said "he is a mona, he doesn't keep the rehit, he has no right to do anything here"

the sant responded "well then why didn't you stop him from mahatekking money then? It's the same love with which he bowed the money is the same love with which he is waving the chor, who are you to try and quantify his love?"

Sorry do you mean Chaur Sahib di seva? Where a chaur is waved above Maharaj?

This is a difficult one to answer, when it comes to Sikh and Non-Sikh doing seva in a Gurdwara.

The way the Sikh approached the 'non-Sikh' wasn't pleasant and they could have waited for them to finish and quietly had a word.

But saying that who is to judge anyone on wether they are a Sikh or non-Sikh?

A Sikh in-depth isn't a label. Which is why Guru Nanak Dev Ji claimed to be neither Hindu or Muslim. He claimed that everyone belongs to the same God and labeling is useless.

But with certain Seva that needs to be done, must involve Sikh's who are amritdhari. For example at the Harmandir Sahib Langar, only amritdhari's can perform langar seva. This is because there has been and still continiues to have ill minded people poison the langar and sangat.

So in some cases, it's necessary to make sure the sevadar has had a 'check' before performing seva.

I may be contradicting both sides, but its not my personal opinion, its more what I have seen and experienced.

Brother there is no such maryada anywhere--this is a complete Neo-Sikh, SGPC innovation,

In real Sikhi prem is what's important,

The same thing actually happened here, what happened was a mona Sikh was doing chor seva

and a granthi came and told him to stop, well there was a sant there just getting off the stage and he saw what was going on and he said to the granthi "why are you stopping him from doing chor seva?"

the granthi said "he is a mona, he doesn't keep the rehit, he has no right to do anything here"

the sant responded "well then why didn't you stop him from mahatekking money then? It's the same love with which he bowed the money is the same love with which he is waving the chor, who are you to try and quantify his love?"

Very good point, I agree with that. It's pyar that counts the most. Even ragi's and poets were muslims in the court of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Can the same be said for every other seva?

People tend to forget, ALL SEVA IS SAME, no seva is Ooch (high) no seva is Neech (lowly). As long as you do it out of Pyar (love) and Sharda (out of affection), without hoping anything in return, its good.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

i dnt think ders no maryada but

when doing chaur seva keep it high and jus make sure it dnt hit pita ji

like da way darbar sahib does chaur seva take it from one side to the other and bring it oveer pita ji very slowly and high :pray:

but thats my way of doing it :wubc:

but it jus goes bk to how much Sharda