Shastar Vidiya

Singhstah

(not present day gatka), whose views on Gurmat aren't considered questionable, i.e. views in regards to Hinduism and rehat. Please no debates, and once again please no mention of a particular individual. If anyone is aware of any Gursikhs who do teach a Khalsa martial art differing from present day Gatka,

Waheguru

forgive me,

i must have read the question wrong in regards to what they meant about "present day gatka", i though the origional poster meant Akhareh that were aiming to focus on the gurmat of Gatka etc.....

Bhul Chuck Maafi

:)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

There are 1 or 2 Singhs in the UK who are officially from the Buddha Dal (unlike Niddar) and are well versed in our Martial Arts but they don't hold formal lessons. In India, if you go to the Nihang Dals, you can find Ustads who teach as well.

Despite what you may think, Nihang maryada is not that different and nobody is going to force you to do anything against your conscience - many Singhs within the Dals are vegetarian/bibeki etc.

I've heard that theres some students of Baba Giana Singh Ji still alive who is is mentioned as one of the Gurdevs on the the <banned site filter activated> akhara - im not sure what to call the akhara as it seems to reguarly be changing names. There are Nihang Singhs in India that still know proper shastarvidiya but they dont run an akhara. Best to ask around in the Nihang Dal in India.

The only student of Baba Gyana Singh who is listed on the shastarvidiya website as a Gurdev is Baba Mohinder Singh, the Gurdev of Niddar Singh.

Baba Mohinder Singh has done their charaii and from Niddar Singhs visits to India and the Dal, there are hardly any Nihangs who do know shastarvidiya in its entirety, some may now very basic vaars and vital points, but nothing which they could peice together to create a martial science.

The other students of Baba Gyana Singh were Baba Ranjit Singh and Baba Raam Singh, who have also done their charaii. Luckily Niddar Singh has spent time with them also and recorded their bachans on the vidiya so that their knowledge has been preserved.

If there are still remaining Nihangs in India who claim to know the vidiya then they should come out to teach it, or at least record their knowledge so that it can be passed on.

The only student of Baba Gyana Singh who is listed on the shastarvidiya website as a Gurdev is Baba Mohinder Singh, the Gurdev of Niddar Singh..................

If there are still remaining Nihangs in India who claim to know the vidiya then they should come out to teach it, or at least record their knowledge so that it can be passed on.

That website isn't accurate in many things.

The Singhs do teach, but don't make alot of noise about it.