Racism Getting Worse

Guest racism

Guest racism

WJKK WJKF.

Basically im an 18 year old Amritdhaari who wears a Dhumalla but the sangat around my area are all moneh and hardley and Dastaar wale (let alone Amritdhaari) at all! And ive had alot of gore (and ive noticed its just chavs!! :@ ) say all of stuff to me, 'bin laden, taliban' all the usual stuff. But recently chavs have started taking pictures of me on their phones. I get really worried when they do this because in this day and age who knows what they could use the photos for!! This has happened to me about 5 times now which is not normal. Im getting really sick of it and really feel like using my Sri Sahib. Has anyone ever experianced anything like that? I really need help!! :(

Guest .....
WJKK WJKF.

Basically im an 18 year old Amritdhaari who wears a Dhumalla but the sangat around my area are all moneh and hardley and Dastaar wale (let alone Amritdhaari) at all! And ive had alot of gore (and ive noticed its just chavs!! :@ ) say all of stuff to me, 'bin laden, taliban' all the usual stuff. But recently chavs have started taking pictures of me on their phones. I get really worried when they do this because in this day and age who knows what they could use the photos for!! This has happened to me about 5 times now which is not normal. Im getting really sick of it and really feel like using my Sri Sahib. Has anyone ever experianced anything like that? I really need help!! :(

where do u stay?

chavs usualy try to act tuff infront of their mates.....

something similar happend to my borther on the bus he was on his way home..and sum boy strtred tkain piks of him so he got of his seat took his phone of him delted the pik n slammed the phone on the floor.....they try n act smrt buh they aint......u jst need to stik up to them once...give a few thapar if possible...easier said than dne....buh u shld....or get on of the singhs o sort erm out...if any of them bother helping....or the easies one is ask help from mahrhaj...hel defo help! :) !

VJKK VJKF

I have noticed that too but I think its down to ignorance and not necessarily getting worse. A lot of (chavish) people really think we are some sort of Islamic group/taleban supporters.

The media always portray turbans in a negative light..the only time most people see a guy with a turban and beard is when they see Bin Laden or his deputy giving an anti western speech or seeing Taleban firing surface to air rockets at western forces.

So..when they see someone with a turban and beard they link up what they've seen on TV in their silly little prejudiced minds and brew up racial hatred.

What is required is more information on Sikhism and the media (BBC etc) need to be asked to do this..to portray the Sikhs for what they are. We helped the British at war and did their most difficult jobs in the post war economic build up such as working in the iron foundaries etc.

I find that if I am walking in the street for a coffee break with some gora work colleagues people tend to give more discusted looks.

I tend to ignore it. Recently a chap walked past me and said 'your a ****'.

I ignored him.

I could've easily have responded but what have I got to prove? If the chap came over and hit me..now thats a totally different story as i'd have wiped the floor with him and I'd have a defence in that I acted in self defense.

As far as verbal insults goes..ignore them. Its not worth getting into arguments. At the current political period (in the threat of islamic extremism and terrorism) the ignorant use this as an excuse or genuine ignorance on their part to speak foul to us.

What about before 9-11? What about in the 70's?

I grew up in a gora area and in the 70's during my primary school days I received a lot of verbal and some physical bullying by kids. Getting called 'bobblehead' or 'packed lunch head' at the age of 7 or 8 isn't nice but its part of society. People dont want to accept someone whose different.

I think that toughened me up to an extent.

You cant call yourself a SIkh and then get affected by verbal insults.

See it as a test. When Guru Nanak Sahib Ji went to MEcca, the chief priest came and dragged his legs and insulted him. Guru Nanak remained in his calm state.

We should learn from these stories. We need to be in a state of calm which others would be impressed by. Spiritual gold is always tested by an unworthy rock.

If we have the power of naam simran with us, it is at that very second when anger brews in our mind after somebody has said something against our shaan, when we feel that we have to weild the sword..thats when we need to counterattack the anger and forgive the others ignorance. Say a prayer to the Guru in your mind 'Paatshah, inoo smat bakhsh'.

Panth Ki Jeet

there has been an increase lately in white people giving that 'disgusted look'. the best thing to do is ignore them, or in my case smile (i.e. grinning like a madman) and try to sit next to them (if your on a train/tube) or open conversation with them (if you see them everyday). this will blow their stereotypical minds and cause them to get really upset at having their prejudice challenged, which serves them right.

if anyone else does anything to challenge non-physical racism, please post.

raaaah theyre taking pictures?? thats a bit off..be really careful yeah, people r nutty these days. hope they aint planning anything. where abouts do u live (roughly) in the uk? if its a bad area, dont go out on your own at night.

GurFateh!

You should ignore them, you know what you are...they don't know or want to know the reason why you wear a Dhumalla!

Anyway...recently where I live, theres been alot of racism toward Sikhs with Dastars because of 1984, Posters have been put up and been burnt by the British.

It will be ok, just ignore the people who say things, they aren't lucky enough to take Amrit!

WJKK WJKF

WJKK WJKF.

Sorry, but wouldn't that be ignorant, do you want them to continue the abuse or stop!

If you "lamp one of them" its not going to stop it as its going to get worse!

Does it say in the GGS to "lamp one of them" if anyone says anything?

yeh bro, me get it all tha time. jus lamp one of them or summat.

or take a photo of them and tell em youre gna tell da police!

Guest _Anon_

Dude

I would just wear you hair in a pony tail or something similar - its no use getting abuse because this will affect your personality in the long term and you probably going to become a dsfunctional member of society and end up taking it out on your wife and kids.

I understand Gore being racist - so u might want to start doing some exercise so you can run fast to avoid getting beat up - or beef up so you a bit tuffer and can handle your self. I mean if you amritdhari - u supposed to have the guru's fighting spirit and should be able to defend the sikh race ! (easy for me to say isnt it ?)

Or move to Southall - that will sort out your problems.