Shastar Vidiya Classes

VJKK VJKF

Dear all,

I am new to this forum. I am interested in learning Shastar Vidiya, I am based in Birmingham. I wanted to know if there are any people on this site who learn Shastar Vidiya, who can give me some advice i.e. what is taught, cost of lessons, etc

Thanks in advance

VJKK VJKF

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lessons are free, each student may give money as he can afford to as a donation. All aspects are taught, from stand up striking, grappling, ground fighting, weapons, fighting against multiples etc Best to turn up and have a look yourself, class times and locations are on the website.

Shaster Vidya Classes:

Time: 6-8, Every Friday

Teacher: Manmeet 'Maan' Singh

Go down and have a look, it's free after all. :)

wait

the guy asked for shastar vidiya the real vidiya, not cussing down mr manmeet singh but he teachs gatka which isnt shastar vidiya no matter what anyone says!

VJKK VJKF

Dear all,

Thanks for your feedback. I have done a bit of Gatka (my friend used to learn and taught me a few techniques). He was unable to teach me any unarmed stuff - because he hadn't ben taught it. I didi then start gatka myself, for about 6 months, but in that time was never taught any empty hands stuff. We did alot of stick techniques and basic sparring. I think its ok, but there was no real depth to what was being taught. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

That is why I want to try Shastar Vidiya, I have been on the website and looked at the range of techniques, it does look very good. I have heard that ustad who teaches is very very good with weapons.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Are there any people who go to the Birmingham akhara who could desribe a typical lesson for me i.e. what is taught etc

VJKK VJKF

VJKK VJKF

Dear all,

Thanks for your feedback. I have done a bit of Gatka (my friend used to learn and taught me a few techniques). He was unable to teach me any unarmed stuff - because he hadn't ben taught it. I didi then start gatka myself, for about 6 months, but in that time was never taught any empty hands stuff. We did alot of stick techniques and basic sparring. I think its ok, but there was no real depth to what was being taught. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

That is why I want to try Shastar Vidiya, I have been on the website and looked at the range of techniques, it does look very good. I have heard that ustad who teaches is very very good with weapons.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Are there any people who go to the Birmingham akhara who could desribe a typical lesson for me i.e. what is taught etc

VJKK VJKF

like gurbar akaal said : All aspects are taught, from stand up striking, grappling, ground fighting, weapons, fighting against multiples etc Best to turn up and have a look yourself, class times and locations are on the website.

for example one week you may learn how to fight against 2 other opponents unarmed. then the enxt week you may learn how to disarm and counter weapons etc.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 
    • Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi Kalan uses simple Punjabi.
    • Leaving aside Guru ji, the general question of taking afeem (opium) in limited quantities for war/medical wounds is simply unproblematic. When you go to the hospital, they give you morphine. What do you think morphine is? It's an opiate. Even codeine (cough syrup) is an opiate! Ever had a cough? Granted, it is against Gurmat to take opium or other drugs for the fun of it.

Important Information

Terms of Use