Are We Allowed To Enjoy The World

Barfi n Mithai

I arise in the morning torn between helping the world and enjoying the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

This is a famous quote. Could someone let me know the stance in Sikhism. Are we supposed to spend every breath thinking about others, which ofcourse means you yourself do not earn as much, ltherefore you live in poverty, cannot afford nice clothes, food for own family etc. Is there a balance or does Sikhism say give it all up.

Become a hermit, experience it yourself; your experience will answer all your questions.

After you become a hermit all you must do is: Meditate, Meditate, Meditate, Meditate, Meditate, Meditate, Meditate, Meditate...in solitude.

I arise in the morning torn between helping the world and enjoying the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

This is a famous quote. Could someone let me know the stance in Sikhism. Are we supposed to spend every breath thinking about others, which ofcourse means you yourself do not earn as much, ltherefore you live in poverty, cannot afford nice clothes, food for own family etc. Is there a balance or does Sikhism say give it all up.

Once a Maratha saint, Samarth Ramdas During his rambles in Northern India, Samarth Ramdas met Guru Hargobind at Srinagar in about 1634. Fully armed and riding a horse, the Guru had just returned from an excursion.

"I had heard that you occupied the Gaddi of Guru Nanak", said Swami Ramdas.

"Guru Nanak was a Tyagi sadhu - a saint who had renounced the world. You are wearing arms and keeping an army and horses. You allow yourself to be addressed as Sacha Patshah, the True King. What sort of a sadhu are you?" asked the Maratha saint.

Guru Hargobind replied, "Internally a hermit, and externally a prince. Arms mean protection to the poor and destruction of the tyrant. Baba Nanak had not renounced the world but had renounced Maya, i.e. self and ego:

"batan faquiri, zahir amiri

shastar garib ki rakhya, jarwan ki bhakhiya

Baba Nanak sansar nahi tyagya, Maya tyagi thi."

These words of Guru Hargobind found a ready response in the heart of Samartha Swami Ramdas who, as quoted in Pothi Panjak Sakhian, spontaneously said, "this appealeth to my mind - Yeh hamare man bhavti hai".

gurmuiK mylw sc dw sic imlY sicAwr sMjogI]

guramukh maelaa sach dhaa sach milai sachiaar sa(n)jogee||

Gurmukh longs for the glimpse of Truth and the Truth is obtained only by providentially meeting an adopter of the Truth.

GrbwrI prvwr ivic Bog Bugiq rwjy rsu BogI]

gharabaaree paravaar vich bhog bhugath raajae ras bhogee||

Living in the family, the Gurmukh like a dutiful householder enjoys all materials and like lings tastes all delights.

Awsw ivic inrws huie jog jugiq jogIsru jogI]

aasaa vich niraas hue jog jugath jogeesar jogee||

He remains detached amidst all hopes and, through this technique of Yoga, is known as the King of Yogis.

dydw rhY n mMgIAY mrY n hoie ivjog ivjogI]

dhaedhaa rehai n ma(n)geeai marai n hoe vijog vijogee||

He always bestows and begs nothing. Neither he dies nor he suffers the pangs of the separation from the Lord.

AwiD ibAwiD aupwiD hY vwie ipq kPu rog ArogI]

aadhh biaadhh oupaadhh hai vaae pith kaf rog arogee||

He is not troubled by pains and maladies and he remains free from the diseases of air, cough and heat.

duKu suKu smsir gurmqI sMpY hrK n Apdw sogI]

dhukh sukh samasar guramathee sa(n)pai harakh n apadhaa sogee||

He accepts sufferings and joys alike, wisdom of the Guru is his wealth and he is uninfluenced by joy and sorrows.

dyh ibdyhI log AlogI ]16]

dhaeh bidhaehee log alogee ||16||

Being embodied he is yet beyond the body and while living in the world he is beyond the world.(16)

To answer your question.. You are to spend every breath possible thinking about the Lord, which will automatically have you think about helping others with every breath.

You don't need money to help people. Volunteering for other things is enough.

:)