A request to Sikh sangat

Simran9

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i want to bring to your attention discussions on this forum where a non-sikh comes in and we start arguing with them. remember that non-sikhs may be uninformed bout sikhi and they are bound to say something wrong which may offend you. but remember that sikhi is not bout arguing with ppl juz to prove yourself right and someone else wrong. so i request ya'll that in the future when someone posts questions or something that have false info bout sikhi or whatever, don't get rude, juz present the facts/gurbani. be nice cuz our goal is to be like gursikhs (scroll up) and countless others. think about how these gursikhs would answer the question, think bout how our gurus would answer the question. i'm sure they wouldn't argue with the person. please make sikhsangat a good place cuz satsangat is not bout attacking/arguing with ppl. :wub:

i don't need to say why i brought this up, a few of you probably understand where i got this idea from :e: .

thanx, and juz remember.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Well I agree that we have to stand up for Sikhi where it is demanded, but lets keep at least the FIRST SEVERAL posts clean. I've noticed that in certain conversations, we go all "gung-ho" and flat out attack the person in their first post!! I don't think that is acceptable and as Sikhs we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I've copy pasted some quotes that Rochak posted in his thread, cuz they relate to this topic:

Return hatred with love

Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists.

Kiss their feet, and return to your own home. ||7||

Control Your Emotions When Slandered

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 339

Gauree:

Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me.

Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.

Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ||1||Pause||

If I am slandered, I go to heaven;

the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, abides within my mind.

If my heart is pure, and I am slandered,

then the slanderer washes my clothes. ||1||

One who slanders me is my friend;

the slanderer is in my thoughts.

The slanderer is the one who prevents me from being slandered.

The slanderer wishes me long life. ||2||

I have love and affection for the slanderer.

Slander is my salvation.

Slander is the best thing for servant Kabeer.

The slanderer is drowned, while I am carried across. ||3||20||71||

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Bairaaree on Pannaa 719

Bairaaree, Fourth Mehl:

The Lord's humble servant sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord's Name.

Even if someone slanders the Lord's humble servant, he does not give up his own goodness. ||1||Pause||

Whatever the L

ord and Master does, He does by Himself; the Lord Himself does the deeds.

The Lord and Master Himself imparts understanding; the Lord Himself inspires us to speak. ||1||

The Lord Himself directs the evolution of the world of the five elements; He Himself infuses the five senses into it.

O servant Nanak, the Lord Himself unites us with the True Guru; He Himself resolves the conflicts. ||2||3||

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Kalyaan on Pannaa 1320

Kalyaan, Fourth Mehl:

Only the Lord God knows my innermost thoughts.

If someone slanders the humble servant of the Lord, God does not believe even a tiny bit of what he says. ||1||Pause||

So give up everything else, and serve the Imperishable; The Lord God, our Lord and Master, is the Highest of all.

When you serve the Lord, Death cannot even see you. It comes and falls at the feet of those who know the Lord. ||1||

Those whom my Lord and Master protects - a balanced wisdom comes to their ears.

No one can equal them; their devotional worship is accepted by my God. ||2||

So behold the Wondrous and Amazing Play of the Lord. In an instant, He distinguishes the genuine from the counterfeit.

And that is why His humble servant is in bliss. Those of pure heart meet together, while the evil ones regret and repent. ||3||

Lord, You are the Great Giver, our All-powerful Lord and Master; O Lord, I beg for only one gift from You.

Lord, please bless servant Nanak with Your Grace, that Your Feet may abide forever within my heart. ||4||5||

Do Not See Bad in Others

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Malaar on Pannaa 1264

Malaar, Fourth Mehl:

Those whose hearts are filled with my True Guru - those Saints are good and noble in every way.

Seeing them, my mind blossoms forth in bliss; I a

m forever a sacrifice to them. ||1||

O spiritual teacher, chant the Name of the Lord, day and night.

All hunger and thirst are satisfied, for those who partake of the sublime essence of the Lord, through the Guru's Teachings. ||1||Pause||

The slaves of the Lord are our Holy companions. Meeting with them, doubt is taken away.

As the swan separates the milk from the water, the Holy Saint removes the fire of egotism from the body. ||2||

Those who do not love the Lord in their hearts are deceitful; they continually practice deception.

What can anyone give them to eat? Whatever they themselves plant, they must eat. ||3||

This is the Quality of the Lord, and of the Lord's humble servants as well; the Lord places His Own Essence within them.

Blessed, blessed, is Guru Nanak, who looks impartially on all; He crosses over and transcends both slander and praise. ||4||5||

I wanna also add that Bhai Kanhaya did not see any difference between friend and foe. In the battlefield, he served water to the wounded Turks with the same generosity as his own Singh soldiers. When someone complained about it to the Guru, he submitted that everywhere he saw none but the Guru's face. "jaha(n) jaha(n) ek roop tumara. na dusar meh ko nihara. mo ko to emhi drishtave. tum bin dusar nadar na aave."

My point is that our duty is to be a good sikh and be role models as much as possible. I have seen threads on this forum where ppl are accusing others of something based on assumed theories. We wanna make a good impression on new members and ppl who are visiting the forum. If new members/visitors see ridiculous arguments/name calling/etc, what are they gonna think? Sure you'll say "let em think whatever they want." Some folks hardly ever post their input cuz they know they'll probably be attacked for what they say. :) As far as I know, our Gurus didn't tell us to only respect ppl who give us respect; we're supposed to respect everyone regardless of religion, caste, gender, etc. Sure, there are ppl who are impossible to like (ex: Kala Afghani). "Some things are easier said than done." But another saying is that "practice makes perfect." If we apply our Guru's teachings to ourselves, we can make ourselves better Sikhs. It just requires a lot of understanding and application. I'm not sayin we should go kiss a*s all our enemies, but some of us need to re-examine what we say to others and what our Gurus said we should do, as well as what the likes of Bhai Kanhaya have done when it comes to enemies.

juz some thoughts, thats all. :wub:

I've copy pasted some quotes that Rochak posted in his thread, cuz they relate to this topic:

Return hatred with love

Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists.

Kiss their feet, and return to your own home. ||7||

My point is that our duty is to be a good sikh and be role models as much as possible. I have seen threads on this forum where ppl are accusing others of something based on assumed theories. We wanna make a good impression on new members and ppl who are visiting the forum. If new members/visitors see ridiculous arguments/name calling/etc, what are they gonna think? Sure you'll say "let em think whatever they want." Some folks hardly ever post their input cuz they know they'll probably be attacked for what they say. :) As far as I know, our Gurus didn't tell us to only respect ppl who give us respect; we're supposed to respect everyone regardless of religion, caste, gender, etc. Sure, there are ppl who are impossible to like (ex: Kala Afghani). "Some things are easier said than done." But another saying is that "practice makes perfect." If we apply our Guru's teachings to ourselves, we can make ou

rselves better Sikhs. It just requires a lot of understanding and application. I'm not sayin we should go kiss a*s all our enemies, but some of us need to re-examine what we say to others and what our Gurus said we should do, as well as what the likes of Bhai Kanhaya have done when it comes to enemies.

juz some thoughts, thats all. :wub:

GOOD POST!!! Says it all there, ROCHAK UR DA MAN... and UR DA WOMAN SATPREET for bringing it up!!!

I agree wit da whole thing about personally attacking ones who just come on this msg board to ask something, or maybe some do have evil approaches in mind. Lets not argue and yell at him, if u do he will just keep doing it.

Do what that person does, if one is attacking sikhi wit words, explain wit words, ask him why ? how ? Use bani to quote him wrong, use explanations! If one yells at eachother it will do no good, and it will encourage one to continue what one is doing wrong. :)