Friend Took Crisps From My Packet

axesingh

Fateh

I was having lunch with my mates in the park. I moved onto my crisp packet (Walkers Cheese and Onion).

I only had a couple of crisps.

I then had to answer a phone calll. It was just a sales call from O2. Despite me actually being with O2. I quickly but politely hung up.

By which time my mate (who had just finished a ham sandwich) reached out and took a pinch full of crisps from my bag.

I played it cool. Knowing that sucham had gone. This would have been the case even if his sandwich wasn't ham. So I refrained from eating the crisps.

He got upset. So I explained that his action had polluted my crisps. I maintained a level of humilty and said that if i had taken his crisps - i would have polluted his crisps too. He seemed slightly confused but was happy to finish my crisps off.

Can anyone break down in a sensible, technical and jargon-free manner for me to clear his confusion re: sucham? Analogies would be most appreciated.

Ta

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it cool. Knowing that sucham had gone. This would have been the case even if his sandwich wasn't ham. So I refrained from eating the crisps.
Sucham was not there in the first place, how do you know the person who was involved in making the Crisps kept sucham?

why must we be so closed minded? Never in Guru Granth sahib is said one man's saliva is poluted to another. I mean, we see God in everyone. Sabh meh jot... So, why do we think like this? So what if one is an amrithari and another is not? Both has God's joth in them.

Then why?

Axeman, you did the correct thing by not eating the crisps. Do not listen to those who have no jevan and try to bring you down to their level. You are following a rehat that is correct so stick to it.

God is in all, yes, but would you go eat a rotten apple? God is in that apple also. Would you eat dirt, surely God is in dirt also? This argument does not hold. If you are amritdhari then you follow a code of conduct and sucham is paramount.

someone says that the crisps were not sucha in the first place, this may be so but by going down that path you may as well starve yourself as you know nothing about where anything comes from. You have to be sensible, obviously when your friend took those crisps he made them joothay, so you could have just said I am full, I really cannot eat any more or something like this. The path of an amritdhari is different to a any other person and you follow a rehit so explain to your frient that you follow a code of conduct and although you love him as a friend there are things that you can or cannot do and that it is not the fault of the friend.

Now if you borrow someone else's 'sock', who knows the amount of bacteria/germs would be on their smelly feet? The same way if you want to keep the 'sucham' theory then eat only if you think it's clean, the way you explained it to the other guy was fine. Eat what you can fully trust. Just keep an eye on who touches your food.

why must we be so closed minded?

Would you let other wear your 'socks'? It's called trying to keep him/her self clean and at the same time keeping the other free from your jooth.

Never in Guru Granth sahib is said one man's saliva is poluted to another

Next time, try to eat food when another spits into it.....you probably wouldn't. Try to understand being in the shoes of amritdhari's is not easy.

Fateh

I was having lunch with my mates in the park. I moved onto my crisp packet (Walkers Cheese and Onion).

I only had a couple of crisps.

I then had to answer a phone calll. It was just a sales call from O2. Despite me actually being with O2. I quickly but politely hung up.

By which time my mate (who had just finished a ham sandwich) reached out and took a pinch full of crisps from my bag.

He got upset. So I explained that his action had polluted my crisps. I maintained a level of humilty and said that if i had taken his crisps - i would have polluted his crisps too. He seemed slightly confused but was happy to finish my crisps off.

Can anyone break down in a sensible, technical and jargon-free manner for me to clear his confusion re: sucham? Analogies would be most appreciated.

Ta

gurfatehjee

u did a gd thing of not eating =) ignore ppl who will say its ok u shud of ate the crisps because NO its is not ok....

instead of the word pollouted.. you should have explained to him that you do not eat meat, therefore u dont want to be in contact with meat either....hope that makes sense : )

There is no difference between an amritdhari and non-amritdhari in my mind. None is better than the other. This human life is not easy for anyone.

Since when did I say one is better than another? And there is no difference between an elephant and an ant, there is no difference between a lamp or a lantern. I could go on and on. Life is easy for some, hard for others. The rest of your post is only opinion. Your looking at amritdhari's at a different angle, try to use a better focus and you'll notice there are certain ways one chooses to live.