Similarities between Islam and Sikhism

source: Sikh Religion and Islam: A Comparitive Study by G.S. Sidhu and Gurmukh Singh

Similarities between Islam and Sikhism

Abbreviations of sources:

KM= Kashaf-al-Mahjub Data Ganj Baksh Trans. Jamil Ahmad & Tariq

SM= Sahih Muslimbyn abdul Hamid Sadiqui Lahore

SB= Sahih Bukhari Sharif Ishait-al-Islam Delhi, Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan Islamic University of Medina

CIS= Concept of an Islamic State by Ishtiaq Ahmed Stockholm

HQ= The Holy Koran Tafsir Saghir by Bashmir-ud-Din Muhammad---Do---By A. Yusuf Ali Amana Corporation Brentwood USA

GK= Glorius Koran Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall TA HA Publishers Ltd. 1 Wynne Road London SW 9 0BB

SGGS=Sri Guru Granth Sahib

BG=Bhai Gurdas, Sikh scholar who wrote the keys to SGGS

Impediments

According to Islam there are two impediments in the way of te seekers of God (a) Hijaab-e-Raini- as the black stone can not be made white and (b ) Hijaab-e-Ghaini- as the dirt on a mirror is unsightly but it can be wiped clean (KM).

(a) "For the many past births humans have collected sins. Their minds have become so black that like the oil extractor's cloth they have cannot be easily washed clean." (SGGS pg.651)

(b ) “Clothes soiled with grime are washed white with soap. When intellect is polluted, only remembrance of God’s name can purify it.” (SGGS pg 4)

God is Near

Allah tells us that if a believer “draws near me by the span of a palm, I draw near him by the cubit. If he walks towards me, I rush towards him.” (SM 6476)

“If a devotee advances one step towards the Guru, the Guru advance

s millions of steps towards the devotee.” (BG)

God is One

God is one. La Ilaha, ill-Allah (There is no God but God) (HQ 1:1)

My Lord is one unique and peerless. (SGGS pg 350)

God is not born

God is not born. “Lam yalid wa lam yoolad, Kullu Shiyan halikum illa wajh.” (He is neither the begetter nor the begotten. All things are mortal except Him.” (HQ )

God is devoid of birth or death. (SGGS pg 113)

God is without parents. He is without gender and needs no woman. (SGGS pg 597). “Thou art the unfathomable Lord of all and do not have to enter the womb.” (SGGS pg 1095)

God is all knowing

“Even if thou speakest aloud then lo! He knoweth the secret (thought) and (that which is yet) more hidden.” (HQ 20:7)

“He Himself knows, He Himself acts and sets things right. Before Him shouldst thou stand and humble yourself in prayer.” (SGGS pg 1093)

As you sow so shall you reap

The Holy Quran says, “Jaza-un be ma kanu ya’ malum.” “You will receive rewards in proportion to the deeds you do.” (HQ 6:161)

“Whatever good or bad you do, so you reap the (self inflicted) reward or punishment.” (SGGS pg 470).

However, it is important to note that this similarity is limited to the operation of the universal law of cause and effect or action and consequence only. When “reward and punishment” is used to accept or reject an ideology, Sikhism and Islam part company.

Submission to God

Islam literally means submission, which means to accept God’s Will in speech, mind and body. When a man submits to God his personal desires and emotions are replaced with devotion and deep spirituality. Islam calls it “Fi-Sabil-Allah” and Quran says, “Say: Lo! My worship and my sacrifice and my living and my dying are for Allah, the Lord fo the worlds.” (HQ 6:163)

“Accept the will of God, consider Him the Creator and sublimate your ego.” (SGGS pg 141).

“Ikhlas” in Islam is the same as “Sahej” in Sikhism. Those who attain a hi

gh spiritual stage of dedication (Fanah-fillah) are known as “Salim” in Islam and “Braham gyani” in Sikhism. The Guru says, “As water loses itself in water so does the soul mingle with the All-soul.” (SGGS pg 278)

“You are me and I am you, where is the gap? Our relation is the same as that of gold and gold ornament of that of water and its ripples.” (SGGS pg 93)

Test of faith

Sunni Muslims believe in shahadat. When a situation arises in which a Muslim is called to avow his faith to identify himself, he must do so even at the cost of his life.

The Sikh concept of “Sikhi kesan swasan naal nibhauni” (Sikh Ardaas), that ‘a Sikh must remain true to the faith till his or her last breath,’ is similar. Guru Gobind Singh expresses deep trust in his true Sikh: “Even if a mountain sprouts wings and takes off, my Sikh will not abjure his faith.”

Reverential status: Holy Quran, Holy Guru Granth Sahib

There is similarity in the way Islam and Sikhism regard their Holy Books as the final word: “After the Holy Quran, which other book is there in which people would place their faith?” (HQ 79:50).

The Sikhs place their faith in Sri Guru Granth Sahib as the ultimate Instruction. By Guru Gobind Singh’s final injunction the Sikhs were instructed to regard the holy Granth as the eternal Guru after Him.

Islam: Sura Al-Fatihah

“Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Owner of the Day of Judgment, Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help. Show us the straight path, the path of those whom Thou hast favored; Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray.” (GK pg. 31).

Sikhism: Mool Mantar

God is Unique. His Name is Truth. He is the Creator. He is devoid of fear and hatred. He is Everlasting. He is Unborn. He is Self-existent. He can be realized through the Grace of the Guru (the Enlightener). (SGGS pg 1).

Praise of God

“If all the trees in the earth became pens and t

he sea, with seven more seas to help it (were ink), the words of Allah could not be exhausted.” (HQ 31:27).

“Kabir, if I make the seven seas my ink, make the entire vegetation my pen and the earth my paper, even then I cannot write God’s praises.” (SGGS pg 1368).

Intoxicants

The Holy Quran says: “They question thee about strong drink and games of chance. Say in both is great sin and some utility for me; but the sin of them is greater than their usefulness.” (HQ 2:219 and HQ 5:91).

“The misguided people who drink wine are the most foolish.” (SGGS pg 399).

Family Life; Monasticism

Both Sikhism and Islam recommend family life and deprecate monasticism and mendicancy. (Like the Sikh Gurus, Prophet Muhammad was also married and had children.)

“But monasticism they invented–we ordained it not for them–only seeking Allah’s pleasure and they observed it not with right reverence.” (HQ 57:27).

Sikhism also rejects monasticism. “According to the Guru’s teaching what can be achieved outside home can also be achieved at home. So Nanak has become a renunciate.” (SGGS pg 992).

“Seek salvation while you are living a normal life.” (SGGS pg 522).

Need for a preceptor

Both stress the need for a guide or preceptor for union with God. Islam calls this medium murshid, rahbir, pir or awliya. “He who wants the companionship of God must first seek the company of the friends of God (awliya)” (Maulana Rumi).

Sikhism calls this source of inspiration the Guru or Satguru. “Even if there be hundreds of moons and thousands of suns, there will still be darkness without a Guru.” (SGGS pg 463).

In Sikhism, the Guru and the Guru’s Word are interchangeable. Human meditation was removed by the final injunction of Guru Gobind Singh: “Accept the Word in the Granth as your eternal Guru.” He commanded: “Our mind is like a wild elephant roaming in a jungle 9our body). The Guru’s true instruction acts like a goad on the unruly elephant (mind).”(SGGS pg 221).

However, Sikhism does not compel its followers to accept the Guru’s word blindly but accept it only after conviction. “First evaluate and only then accept the wares.” (SGGS pg 1410).

Settling disputes and making decisions

Islam and Sikhism both preach similar ways of settling differences. Ijmah in Islam and gurmatta in Sikhism follow similar procedures, although, the latter, requires unanimous agreement in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib. Thus (unlike democratic processes) minority interests are safeguarded in Sikhism, albeit, at the expense of a fewer decisions being made which qualify as gurmatta.

“O brothers, come sit together and sort out your differences.” (SGGS pg 1185).

Charity; Daswandh/Zakat

Charity receives equal treatment in both religions. “Allah will shade a person under His shade who practices in such a way that nobody knows how much he has given in charity.” (SB V2 V24). Even half a date fruit given in charity can save a person from hellfire (SB 448, 449 V2 B24).

“He who works hard honestly for what he eats, and shares it with others has found the true path.” (SGGS pg 1245).

Daswandh in Sikhism and zakat (HQ 9:60) in Islam only differ in their application and modus operandi. Zakat is collected by the state but the daswandh depends on a donor’s own discretion.

“The purpose of the zakat is no other than to provide the state with means to fund its welfare projects.” (CIS pg 141).

“Zakat is paid by individuals to Islamic governments, who arrange for its proper distribution to deserving people.” (“Islam: faith & practice by Manzar Ahsan, pg. 18).

Daswandh (allocating one tenth of one’s earnings for religious or charitable purposes) is a Sikh tradition which receives mention in many authentic Sikh works which interpret the Guru’s teachings regarding the Sikh way of life.

“Service in this world earns a place in God’s presence.”(SGGS pg 26).

“The service rendered by the Guru’s followers pleases the Guru.” (BG).

No other religion has an institution like the Sikh Langar where all are served food without discrimination or distinction. It is a training ground for selfless service. (There is a similar practice, to some extent, at the Dargahs of some Muslim Darveshes (mystics)).

Slander

Both religions condemn slanderers. The Holy Quran says, “And do not find fault with each other, nor call one another by nicknames.” (HQ 49:11-12).

There are many references to the sins of slanderers in Guru Granth Sahib.

“The slanderers will be treated as liars in God’s court and punished appropriately.” (SGGS pg 323).

“Numerous slanderers carry heavy burdens on their heads (of the sin of slander).” (SGGS pg 4).

“A slanderer wastes this valuable life.” (SGGS pg 380).

Caste system

Islam and Sikhism are both against caste system. Since 80% of the Indian Muslims were converted from Hinduism; and most Sikhs also trace their background to Hindu families, both minority communities have been unsuccessful in rooting out the curse of the caste system completely.

Priesthood

There is no ordained priesthood in Islam and Sikhism. Anyone can perform any religious service. However, the position of women regarding performance of religious services seems to be quite different. For example, Guru Amar Das (3rd Guru) appointed 22 persons to act as preachers in 22 diocesan areas of authority (22 manjis). Of these 22 persons, 8 were women appointees, a most remarkable demonstration of equality between genders at the time in that socio-religious milieu. In Islam, women are not allowed to perform azan (loud call to the devotees to prayer). Usually women do not visit the mosque.

Best religion

“Those who believe and do good deeds are the best of created beings.” (HQ 98:7).

“Of all religions, the best religion is to chant the Name of the Lord and to engage in pious deeds.” (SGGS pg 266).

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Just a few comments.

1. Why the 'for the haters' in the title? Maybe I missed the 'hatred' that was displayed by some members but can we not have such comments in the title.

2. According to my research there are much more difference between Islam and Sikhism and these are not just minor differences. I hope Satpreet will post the differences as listed in the book by G S Sidhu.

3. In such matters we should seek the guidence of Gurbani. Bachittar Natak clearly states this about Mohammed

pun har gorakh ko upraja

sikh karai Tinhon badraja

sravan far mudra duai dari

Har ki prit rit n bichari

pun har rama nand ko kara

bhes bairagi ko jin dhara

kanthi kanth kath ki dari

prabh ki kriya kachu bichari

jai prabh param purkh upjae

tin tin apnai rah chalai

Mahdeen tab prabh upraja

arab des ko kino raja

ling bina kinai sabh raja

tin bhi ek panth upraja

ling bina kinai sabh raja

sabh tai apna nam japayou

sat nam kahou n drirhyou

sabh apni apni urjhana

parbrahm kahu n pachhana

tap sadhat har moh bulayou

eim keh kai eih lok pathayou

Bachittar Natak

Then I brought Gorakh into existence and he made great

kings his disciples

He tore the ears of his followers for the ear rings of

the yogi but gave no thought to God's path of love

Then I created Ramanand who assumed the garb of a

bairagi

He placed a wooded necklace around his neck but minded

not the way of God

Those I created each and everyone created their own

sects/religions

I then created Mohammed and made his king of

Arabia

He too started his own path making circumcision a part

of his religion

He made people utter his own name and not the name of

the eternal God

Thus they all involved only in themselves recognising

not God

GurFateh

Bikramjit

>Bikramjit Singh< ji:

in response to your comments.....

I put "for the haters" in the title because lately some of us members have been hating on Muslims because of their tactics for converting Sikhs....there was a thread on that, maybe you missed it. anyway, some ppl think that their religion is the best or whatever, and that others are corrupted and not leading to God. In Sikhism we don't beleive that only ours is the way to God. The purpose of this thread was to sorta spread some love by realizing the similarities between Islam and Sikhism. A while back I posted some similiarties between Hinduism and Sikhism cuz that time some members had started to hate on Hindus juz cuz they believe in idol worshipping. There was heated debate about it and i think the thread was closed in the end maybe (the one bout Bhagat Dhanna i think). Even then my purpose was juz to spread some love by showing the similarites so we don't hate ppl cuz of the differences.

veerji, indeed there are A LOT more differences than there are similarities. The similarites between the two take up a few pages while the differences are basically the rest of the book which is 153 pages total. So it will take me ages to type up the whole thing, nor am i qualified enough to summarize because the book utilizes many quotes and references from the Koran and SGGS ji to compare the ideologies. So if someone is interested in researching the differences they should check out a book or search online.

I believe posting the differences would only make us shift further away from ppl of other religions, whereas similarites might draw us nearer. We should not forget about the differences though

, but we should not focus our attention only on that and forget that in the end we're all humans and it doesn't matter what path one chooses to get to God.

i hope that explains my reasons for this thread :wub: .....sorry if i offended anyone but i had good intentions :)

Sat Sri Akal:

Satpreet Kaur Ji, your efforts are very admirable. To ease your work, you can refer to the following link. Though not as detailed as your listing, it does highlight the main differences and similarities:

http://www.sikhs.org/religion.htm

Let's be frank. Yes, these works do exist and many know the differences and similarities. BUT, often times, fools like me need to be reminded that the world is filled with humans who follow different paths, but who are all seeking the same thing. So Satpreet Kaur Ji, thank you for reminding us.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new member and having only just come across this post I took a look at the original thread you were talking about where u said 'muslim hating' was going on from a while back. I also took the time to look at the forum you were 'bombarding'.

As someone interested in Sikhism I just wanted to say I couldn't beleive the things you lot wrote and how you bombarded that Islamic forum with emails. Of course there are Muslims doing bad things like purposefully going out to convert sikh girls but there are a LOT who don't. Reading that thread did put a dampener on my view of the Sikh religion, I'm not writing this to defend Muslims or defend Sikh or anyone, but i do think that as this is a public forum that maybe you should be more careful about those kind of things that you say?? only because someone might take it the wrong way and like me it could dampen the view of your religion. I dont think that by degrading yourselves to a level where your deliberately going to an Islamic forum to make those sort of comments could be in line with Sikhism and the way Sikhs should behave?? If it is then I must of got Sikhism completely wrong...

I understand Sikhism to be a peaceful religion and the people respectful and always have been very kind and polite to me. Dont give out the wrong impressions!

Yasmin,

good to see you and welcome to the forum.

Well...Sikhs ought to be polite, but when the religious institutions [such as God, "prophets", for us Gurus, scriptures etc] are 'bombarded', i believe lots of people can't control the anger and tackle the situation by bombarding back. rolleyes.gif

So, you are a Muslim? i guess Yasmin is a Muslim name...not sure..can be Indian too.

Yes I'm Muslim. But i'm not out to cause any trouble!!! ohmy.gif:)

I have a close friend who is Sikh and I joined this forum to learn and understand more about her religion and what it involves thats all blush.gif I also find it interesting just to read about for myself :wub: