Places Of Worship Becoming Places Of Chat?

gurmzz

its really sad...I have noticed that in my places of worship people start talking...its even sadder to see that in the gurudwara people talk while akhand paath is taking place, its really sad to see and I don't like going to places of worship anymore its getting very annoying :o

Glad to see that you noticed a problem. Now lets start brainstorming and coming out with solutions.

• requesting compassionately with a smile to those chatting that they need to quit chatting and focus on keertan
  • put up fliers "PLEASE DO NOT TALK DURING KEERTAN"
  • have on duty a Nihang Singh with a long sharp barsha who looks intimidating enough to the point of no one being able to make a sound

others please continue

You know what I did once by mistake? 2 of my Hindu friends came to the Gurdwara with me, and after 20 minutes of listening to keertan, they went to the restroom, and then probably to have samossay and pakoray. After 5 or so minutes, 2 other Hindu guys came and sat right behind me, which is exactly where my friends were sitting. Keertan was going on, and these 2 new guys came in talking and laughing and sat down. I guessed it was my 2 friends who were talking and laughing (I was wrong). So I turned around, put my right index finger on my lips (a signal asking someone to shut up), and did a loud "sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh", with a face that looked like :@. Obviously this wasn't the best way to ask them to shut it. But as soon as I saw it was someone else, I felt I should apologize for scaring him. So I grabbed his knee (freaking him out even more), and whispered to him that I was sorry. I turn around after 2 minutes and the 2 dudes are gone LOL. Well I did feel pretty bad, but thats the least I could do. Later on when I saw 1 of them in the langar hall, I did apologize once again, and he was pretty cool with it. I wanted to make sure he doesn't stop coming to the Gurdwara thinking all Singhs are silencers.

Moral of my rant: sometimes you need to exert force in a compassionate way to push your point through. Talking during keertan is NOT allowed, period. If people want to talk, go elsewhere and chit chat.

Glad to see that you noticed a problem. Now lets start brainstorming and coming out with solutions.

• requesting compassionately with a smile to those chatting that they need to quit chatting and focus on keertan
  • put up fliers "PLEASE DO NOT TALK DURING KEERTAN"
  • have on duty a Nihang Singh with a long sharp barsha who looks intimidating enough to the point of no one being able to make a sound

others please continue

I can't quite figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, the rehitnama of Bhai Nand Lal ji states that Guru Gobind Singh ji says that "The Sikh who talks while God is being praised is bound for Hades (hell)."

So it's a serious matter.

The way things are, Gurdwaras are a playground for children to run, women to talk, and men to fight.

Devout Sikhs are left hapless.

Anyways, I think there needs to be a new Respect 4 Guru Granth Sahib Committee. Talking in the Guru darbar is maha-beadbi.

Would anybody tolerate people chatting in the court of the Queen of England? Or the Prime Minister of India, or wherever?

OK, that's good. I propose that we start out with a phased, totally peaceful approach:

-First put up signs

-Give out flyers (make up a nice flyer with the Queens pic and ask if you would talk in her darbar)

-Make announcements

-In pairs of two, give helpful, friendly reminders to talkers (bibian for bibian, Singhs for Singhs) while smiling

-Note repeat offenders

-Keep giving reminders

-Note repeat offenders

-Give warnings

-Post pictures of repeat offenders

-Note repeat offenders

-Give more warnings

Lastly: Bring out the ladlian faujan! With spears.

-Post pictures of repeat offenders

I loved this one! Posting pictures of chatter boxes at the Gurdwara!

Guru pyaari saadh sangat jee. Please make note of Bhai Falanna Singh/Bibi Dhamkaani Kaur who talks a lot during keertan divaan. Sangat is urged not to indulge in any kind of chit chatting with him/her in Gurujee's hajuri during keertan.

:lol: