Chola/bana

Guest goldilocks

Guest goldilocks

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sangat Jio!

I was wondering - I am very unknowledgable in this area - a Chola/Bana for girls -

1, Can you get Nihang style ones - or do Singhni's just have one simple straight Chola/Bana?

2. If you can get Nihang style choele/bane made for women - could anyone show me a picture of one?

Tnx

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Guest Against

Fateh!

Firstly before I start, I must stress that I am NOT against Bibian, nor am I one of these people who thinks only Singhs have the right to do certain things.

We need to look at things with levelled thinking. The Bana is a warrior's uniform. Not everyone has the right to wear this uniform. Unless you was a qualified policeman, you would not be allowed to wear a policeman's uniform. Similarly, if you are not a "qualified" Nihang you should'nt wear a Nihang Bana. Same goes for Taksali Cholay.

Nowadays Banay and Cholay have become a huge fashion statement to be worn at Raensabai's with loads of Shastar and what not, but come Monday morning and the Dumala, Bana and Shastar come off and the Nok pag, shirt and tie come on... hypocrisy??

Think about the satkar of the Bana and Chola before you wear it.

The above is a general statement to all.

Now I shall begin on the original post.

Bibian should not wear Bana/Chola simply because they are often too tight and too revealing, and are not worn with a chuni over the Dastar. Punjabi suits are designed in such a way that they are much more respectful of the female form. Banay (nihang style) are designed to be short and fitted (to be effective in battle). Cholay (taksali style) are designed to have a little more coverage over the knees, but are still generally fitted.

Also it is key to note that Banay and Cholay are both designed to be worn WITHOUT pajamia - alot of newbie Singhs think its good to wear a pajami with nihang bana or chola, but let's face it no real nihang singhs or taksali singhs wear pajamia with their banay/cholay. So this would mean bibian would also be pajami-less?! Hai Hai!

A benti to Bibian.. please dont lose your self respect and dignity by dressing like nihang singhs and taksali singhs, remain demure like Bibian have done so in the past.

Please don't think that I am against Bibian.. because I cant be - simply because I am one!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sangat Jio!

I was wondering - I am very unknowledgable in this area - a Chola/Bana for girls -

1, Can you get Nihang style ones - or do Singhni's just have one simple straight Chola/Bana?

2. If you can get Nihang style choele/bane made for women - could anyone show me a picture of one?

Tnx

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

YES you can get nihang style baaneh made for bibia, and they are not tight fitting. you can get them made to any measurement you want.

when you go to the tailor, simply ask for a nihung chola, or just request that they put x number kaliyaa (side panels) in your baana.

i know loads of bibia who wear baana. its very respectable as it is loose, and it looks amazing. they look like maharaajs daughters, they have the roop of a gursikh and it is encouraging to see other bibia who would like to wear baana. kirpa.

just remember that you are representing maharaaj, and that you should behave accordingly. i know loads of taksali and akj bibia who wear baaneh. dont let anyone put you off.

gurfateh.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

With all due respect to 'Against'.

I agree with the fact that wearing a Baana is an honour which should be taken seriously and that not everybody can, in the same way that wearing Guru Ji's Dastaar is. However I know people who wear it every day, without switching to a 'Nok pagh, shirt and tie'. So not everybody is like that. Secondly only the person wearing the Baana knows if they're using it as a fashion statement or not.

You're right, we should definitely think about Satkar and respect before wearing Baana and Chola.

Bibian should not wear Bana/Chola simply because they are often too tight and too revealing, and are not worn with a chuni over the Dastar.

Bibian should wear a Baana which fits them correctly and preserves their modesty. If it's an issue of size then wear a bigger one so it isn't tight. It's not a complex concept. Whether our clothes are revealing or not is mainly dependant on how we choose to wear them. Also many women wear it with a chuni over the Dastaar. If they don't and it's a big issue for you then talk to them about it rather than issung a blanket ban on all Baanas for women, which by the way you have no authority to do.

Punjabi suits are designed in such a way that they are much more respectful of the female form.

lol. Have you been to India lately? Punjabi suits are designed for the opposite effect, especially nowadays. On the other hand the Khalsa uniform was designed with only pure intentions.

Also it is key to note that Banay and Cholay are both designed to be worn WITHOUT pajamia - alot of newbie Singhs think its good to wear a pajami with nihang bana or chola, but let's face it no real nihang singhs or taksali singhs wear pajamia with their banay/cholay. So this would mean bibian would also be pajami-less?! Hai Hai!

No. Because you just said you wanted Bibian to 'respect their female form'. So obviously they would wear a pajama. Otherwise there would be no pleasing you and we wouldn't want that now would we : )

please dont lose your self respect and dignity by dressing like nihang singhs and taksali singhs. remain demure like Bibian have done so in the past.

Demure? I know what you're trying to say but if you mean modest and graceful then it's perfectly capable of being so whilst wearing a Baana. You think if I wear a Baana I lose my self respect and dignity? It's SELF-respect i.e. the respect I have for myself. You don't know how much respect I have for myself. Out of interest have you ever met a 'real Nihung' Singhni? (Real by your standards.) I'd like to hear you say such a thing to her. Next time you visit India how about it.

We're really reaching into new depths to find things to argue about. If someone wants to wear a Baana and it gets them closer to Guru Ji then why should we judge them for it or say they shouldn't be allowed to wear it.

Forgive me for any mistakes or offence caused. Perhaps someone could help the sister asking the original question?

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

vaheguru je ka khalsa vaheguru je ke fateh je

to the original poster..

penji you can get banas for SINGHNIS made in punjab or try sikhishop.com they used to do bana but i don't know if they still open..

good luck :D

ps. if you feel ready to wear bana..don't let people stop you...

just do ardas to guru jeee 1st hehe..

(completely agreee with lowest of the low singhn :D )

vaheguru je ka khalsa vaheguru je ke fateh je

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ke fatehh

First of all, thank you peni for considering bana, it's unfortunate that many bibia do not wear it. Secondly to "Against" there are recorded accounts of Singhnia dressing 'like Singhs' in the 1700s. Wearing of a punjabi suit is highly NOT tyaar bar tyaar lol try running in a patiala salwaar up the stairs :)... Secondly when one wears a bana, one MUST and I stress MUST have the jeevan to match. There is no use of wearing a bana and not having bani or rehit etc. Bana for singhnia requires just as much kamaee as it does for Singhs. I know of Singhnia that will only wear bana if they do sundar gutka, or until they have atleast sundar gutka kant!

Bana is supposed to be simple and modest, and it is both those things compared to salvaar kameez which are tightly fitted, sometimes lacking simplicity and modesty, and most importantly are not very tyaar bar tyaar.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Guest Pakhand

I agree partially with "Against". Unless as a person (boy or girl) you have a long history of experience in martial arts and training, and would consider yourself confident in a fight situation even with those a lot larger and stronger than you, I think that dressing up as a Puratan warrior is little more than fancy dress - Sikhs these days have become paper tigers and often look a whole lot more warrior-like than they really are. Stick with a loose fitting suit - don't just wear a Bana because its fashionable.

Guest Against

I agree partially with "Against". Unless as a person (boy or girl) you have a long history of experience in martial arts and training, and would consider yourself confident in a fight situation even with those a lot larger and stronger than you, I think that dressing up as a Puratan warrior is little more than fancy dress - Sikhs these days have become paper tigers and often look a whole lot more warrior-like than they really are. Stick with a loose fitting suit - don't just wear a Bana because its fashionable.

My point exactly, thank you paji/penji.

Let's not abuse the Bana because it looks good. Let's remain humble Gursikhs striving to learn Gurbani, Keertan and Santhia. Rather than dressing up like we know it all, but cant even read Jap Ji Sahib correctly.

Please forgive my mistakes.