Sir Mota Singh Defends Rights Of Amritdhari Sikhs

Sir Mota Singh defends rights of Amritdhari Sikhs

Judge Mota Singh who became the first Sikh to be knighted has in an interview with the BBC today has come out in support of Amritdhari Sikhs to wear the Kirpan (and other articles of faith) - whether this be children going to school or adults in the work place and public places where there may be restrictions.

The Sikh Federation (UK) has been vocal in the media today to support Sir Mota Singh's comments. ' We are pleased he has used the opportunity of his interview about receiving the knighthood to speak about an issue dear to Amritdharis and not properly understood by no-Sikhs'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8500712.stm

The Sikh Federation (UK) will be on BBC Radio 5 live at 7.55am, BBC Wales 8.45am and no doubt lots of follow up later in the day.

Radio 5 live

Please listen using following link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qmzdl#- and go to: 1:56.35-1:59.49

BBC Wales: Good Morning Wales

Please listen to the debate with Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society and a Sikh Federation (UK) representative using the following link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00qnv2g and go to: 2:48.47 - 2:54.41

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really annoying that the media refer to Kirpans as "daggers". Even if they used the word "swords" it would sound better than dagger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8500712.stm

Sikhs should be allowed to wear their ceremonial daggers - known as Kirpans - to school and other public places, Britain's first Asian judge has said.

There have been a number of cases of Sikhs being refused entry to venues because they wear the Kirpan or other religious artefacts.

Sir Mota Singh QC has now criticised schools, in particular, over the issue.

"Not allowing someone who is baptised to wear a Kirpan is not right," Sir Mota told BBC Asian Network.

'No objection'

Last year, a Sikh police officer, who had been told to remove his turban during riot training, won a discrimination case against Greater Manchester Police.

A schoolboy was also banned from wearing his Kirpan at a school in Barnet, London.

And, in 2008, 14-year-old Sarika Singh won a High Court case against her school after it excluded her for breaking its "no jewellery" rule for wearing a Kara (steel bangle), which is another symbol of Sikh faith.

The school was found guilty of indirect discrimination under race relations and equality laws.

"I see no objection to a young Sikh girl or boy, who's been baptised, being allowed to wear their Kirpan if that's what they want to do," said Sir Mota, who received a knighthood in the 2010 New Year Honours list.

The boy's kirpan

The kirpan is one of five 'articles of faith' Sikhs must carry

"I wear my Kirpan and I've always worn it for the last 35 to 40 years, even when I was sitting in court or visiting public buildings, including Buckingham Palace."

Sir Mota, who is now retired, added: "I think these are issues that can be dealt with with a certain amount of sensitivity.

"The girl not allowed to wear the Kara is a petty thing for the administrators to have done and it doesn't do them any good.

"It is the right of every young girl and boy to be educated at the school of their choice. For him or her to be refused admission on that sort of ground, as far as I'm concerned, is quite wrong.

"It ought not to happen but it does. I think it's wrong to be discriminated against for that reason."

Worried parents

In Sikhism, the Kirpan and Kara are two of the five "articles of faith" that must be carried at all times by baptised Sikhs.

The others are Kesh (unshorn hair), Kara, Kanga (comb) and Kacha (special underwear).

The Kirpan is carried in a sheath attached to a cloth belt. It is normally worn discreetly under clothes and most people would be unaware that a person was carrying one.

Guidelines from the department for Children, Schools and Families indicate it is up to individual governing bodies to make their own policy on the carrying of the Kirpan, and if challenged, it would then be up to the courts.

Dabinderjit Singh is an adviser to the Sikh Federation UK and he says he regularly receives calls from worried Sikh parents whose children have been prevented from wearing the Kirpan at school and in public areas.

If, for instance, when I was appointed the suggestion had been made that I could not appear unless I wore a wig and discarded my turban, I would have refused

Sir Mota Singh

Although Sikhs carrying the Kirpan are exempt from prosecution under the offensive weapons act, Mr Singh believes objections about the ceremonial dagger have increased following the September 11 attacks and instances of knife crime.

"There have been problems for Sikhs going to tourist attractions," he explained. "Part of it is education.

"We're actually working with the government to introduce a code of practice which would then be used to educate people in the security industry so they are aware of the different articles of faith."

Campaign groups such as United Sikhs and the Sikh Federation UK have welcomed Sir Mota's comments over issues which the judge himself has not had to encounter during his career.

'No eyebrows raised'

Sir Mota was raised in Nairobi, Kenya, before coming to England in 1954 in order complete his studies in law.

He joined the English bar in 1967 and made headlines with his appointment to the bench in 1982 when he wore a white turban in court instead of a wig.

"The fact that I'm a Sikh matters more to me than anything else," he said.

"If, for instance, when I was appointed the suggestion had been made that I could not appear unless I wore a wig and discarded my turban, I would have refused.

"I would have said I would not accept the appointment, but the question never arose and no judicial eyebrows were raised at all.

Also : Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7186319/Sikh-schoolchildren-should-be-allowed-ceremonial-daggers-says-Britains-first-Asian-judge.html

Some people who settle in UK, US and work for foreign companies change their physical attire due to their company policies such as a bearded man is not allowed to work in Hotel Management Field abroad, but even if you have to change your physical attire [due to some problems out of your control] you must remain connected with the divine and preach teachings of Sikhism. Would you want goras children to think that a Sikh is a Taliban since they mistook full flowing bearded Sikhs as a full-beard Taliban and it created problems in US after 9/11 incident. People from our community had to put-up huge banners in front of Gurudwaras telling that "We are Indian/Sikhs and not Muslims/Taliban". I always request my Gursikh brothers staying abroad to make sure that their identity does not get identical with a Taliban/Afghan in any way. My cousin staying abroad started applying Fixo-Gel and looks separate. His father said that beard should be kept flowing and not intact, but I told him a True Khalsa will remain a Khalsa regardless of the clothes, attire he wears or country he lives in. I just do not want that someone mistook my brother for a full-bearded afghan man since 99% of US goras cannot distinguish from a Afghani/Sikh since they are both looking identical in terms of beard, turban.

However, if you find anyone dis-respecting Sikhism, we must openly ostracise them in our social circle, friends circle, or family circle. This someone could be anyone. There are some from our community who would not proceed their talks further unless they know your full-name ie name after Singh/Kaur and they will ask you repeatedly again and again. This is why there are thousands of Gurudwaras in Punjab some Jat-Gurudwara, Khatri-Gurudwara, Ravidasia-Gurudwara, Mazhbi-Gurudwara. People have acquired religion at physical level, but still there is a void and split between people in our Sikh Community. People from our community still maintain relationships on the basis of castes mentioned in Manu-Chalisa and not Guru Granth Sahib ie "True Sikh = Gursikh".

However, it is not correct for someone to say that some Sikh is more pure than other and others are non-followers of Sikhism or does not understand it well.

A True Sikh will remain True Sikh regardless of the clothes he wear or the attire he wears and infact there is a definition of a Sehajdhari Sikhs in Sikh religion who are respected and work towards the better sikh society. Regardless of whether you are a Amritdhari, Kesdhari, Non-Amritdhari, Sehajdhari or any other one must remain a True Sikh and should accept everyone as a part of one-big family where there are different colors of flowers, each with a different look/appeal but same scent.

In fact, the objective of Guru Gobind Singh was to convert birds into Hawks and we should show this in every field whether IT, Medical, Business, Marketing, Army, Music, Sports or even Movies.

This way would be truly following word of the Guru and not just at the physical level. Let religion and preaching of Sikhism be our strength and people from our community excel in every field worldwide.

The True color of Khalsa is GOLD and GOLD never looses its shine regardless of the form it takes.

I am not desrespecting anyone, but I do feel that Sikhism is something which has to be truly felt at Spiritual Level. Once every Sikh starts experiencing Sikhism at Spiritual level by truly understanding word of guru that evils existing in Sikh Society [such as inequality of men-women, caste system, drugs, alcohol etc] will fade away from Sikhism and people of our community will convert into Majority from a Minority religion.:)

I am a Kesdhari Sikh and I do not drink, smoke , eat non-veg or indulge in adultery. :rolleyes:

A true Sikh will remain True Sikh regardless of his outer attire.

WJKWJF

Singh Hawk

I understand what you are saying Singh Hawk, but the Kirpan... the Kesh... Kanga... Kishera and Karaa are not symbols and are much more than outer attire. You must research into why Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee told us to keep these Kakaar on us at all times, even when we bathe. They have a spiritual representation, there isnt any denying of that. But there is also a very important practical presence of them as well.

We are sons and daughters of Guru Gobind Singh Jee. We dont say that because we have made Him into our father... rather, he called us and gifted us with the titles of His sons and His daughters. So we have to and should respect that. To gel and tie up your beard which Guru Jee has blessed us with... which is touched by Amrit is really disrespectful to our Father. Outer attire is also very important. Guru Jee gave us Bana and Bani. Your dress, clothes should be respectful and it should represent your heritage.

Waheguru JiKa Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh, Sangat Ji

Please readcomments been made at BBC website against wearing Kirpan http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?sortBy=1&forumID=7485&edition=2&ttl=20100208111446paginator

I willrequest every one in Sangat around the worldto get register at BBC website and reply to these comments sensibly, as modewill not allow any offencive comments through.

I will alsorequest Sangat to recommend other pro – Kirpan comments. We need to educatepeople here that knife in hands of criminal and knife in hand of doctor (Sant) are miles apart.

Mostimportant thing is to keep in mind we shouldn’t be arguing but wining trust andfriends.

Guru kirpasadka, if we stay united, we will make difference.

Waheguru JiKa Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Some people who settle in UK, US and work for foreign companies change their physical attire due to their company policies such as a bearded man is not allowed to work in Hotel Management Field abroad, but even if you have to change your physical attire [due to some problems out of your control] you must remain connected with the divine and preach teachings of Sikhism. Would you want goras children to think that a Sikh is a Taliban since they mistook full flowing bearded Sikhs as a full-beard Taliban and it created problems in US after 9/11 incident.

That's a defeatist attitude. Plenty of Sikhs in the West work in, or own, top companies and don't tie their dhara.

You think we face more problems today than Sikhs did when there was a price on their heads? They could easily have cut their kesh etc to blend in with the rest of society, but they chose to accept death rather than compromise their beliefs or change their appearance to please the mughals.

Most of the problems post 9/11 were due to the dastar - would you start wearing a cap to 'avoid trouble'?

Who cares whether anyone thinks you're a Taliban? If someone says something, put them right. All that should matter is what Guru Ji thinks.

Stop being slaves to society.

I understand what you are saying Singh Hawk, but the Kirpan... the Kesh... Kanga... Kishera and Karaa are not symbols and are much more than outer attire. You must research into why Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee told us to keep these Kakaar on us at all times, even when we bathe. They have a spiritual representation, there isnt any denying of that. But there is also a very important practical presence of them as well.

If every Sikh is not an amrit-dhari then does it implies that they are not SIKH ??

If I do not wear a Kanga, does that mean I cut my hair ! NO

If I do not wear Kishera does that mean I indulge in adultery ? I am unmarried and havent touched 1 single girl in my life. Neither I ever disrespected anyone whether rich or poor, man or women.

It is your sweet will whether you want to keep 5 ks or you wish to implement Sikhism at spiritual levels which will make you a good person. :L:

I hate when other people tell you that amrit-dharis are more Sikh than you. Or worse Gursikh - [caste :ABC] are the true descendants of Guru Nanak and not others.

I can show you matrimonial ads where it is specified that Amritdari-caste ABC looking for amrit-dhari - [caste ABC] match.

Do you feel these people understood the meaning of Sikhism even after taking amrit-pan ??????????????????????????????? :sad:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh, Sangat Ji

Please read comments been made at BBC website against wearing Kirpan http://newsforums.bb...1446paginator

I will request every one in Sangat around the worldto get register at BBC website and reply to these comments sensibly, as modewill not allow any offencive comments through.

I will also request Sangat to recommend other pro – Kirpan comments. We need to educatepeople here that knife in hands of criminal and knife in hand of doctor (Sant) are miles apart.

Most important thing is to keep in mind we shouldn’t be arguing but wining trust andfriends.

Guru kirpa sadka, if we stay united, we will make difference.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh