Facebook Threat To Dosanjh Checked By Rcmp

N30S1NGH

Let me first say this, i i m no fan of dosanjh because he is opportunist and he is always negative against anyone speaking against human rights abuses in india, i m also trying to gather facts of his life (ie- honoring indian martyrs consider terrorist by UK and acts he did ) which will challenge his credibility. But this death threat against him is totally out of order should be condemned by organizations that represent Sikhism at all levels not because its politically correct thing to do but sikh khalsa is never oppressive, threating, intimidating to those are against their ideals.

I yet to see an soorma standing up have civil debate with him. Thats much needed instead of these unfortunate threats. We need to open an dialogue with those who are against us period. Its only through education, discussion, debates we can create awareness of human right abuses, Sikh sovereignty within its own realm.

Hopefully sikh world canadian organization are coming up with press statement on this..this is much needed not because its politically correct but its right thing to do.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/04/23/bc-ujjal-facebook-threats.html

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115557021801224&v=wall&ref=ts

Facebook threat to Dosanjh checked by RCMP

The RCMP are investigating a posting on a Facebook page that calls for Vancouver Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh to be shot.

"Someone shoot him — ASAP," one commenter posted on the site titled "Ujjal Dosanjh is a Sikh Traitor," the National Post reported Friday.

Another branded Dosanjh, a former B.C. premier and former federal cabinet minister who is a vocal opponent of Sikh extremism, as a "rat in our midst."

The group's page says the Indo-Canadian MP "betrayed his own people" and is a "scumbag traitor and an insult to the Sikh religion."

The most threatening posts had been removed from the site by Friday morning, but the RCMP confirmed the force was taking the threats seriously and would investigate.

RCMP Insp. Paul Richards confirmed the force has been called in to investigate the online threats, but said it was too early to say whether charges would be laid.

"What we're doing is reviewing the content of that Facebook site and some of the commentaries that were made," Richards told CBC News.

Dosanjh said he is concerned for his safety, but not afraid because he believes the vast majority of people are peaceful.

Threatened before

bc-080907-dosanjh.jpgDosanjh, the MP for Vancouver South, has long warned of violence and extremism in pockets of the Sikh community in Canada. (CBC)He added he's sad, but not surprised by the postings, which aren't the first he has received on Facebook. In 2007 he also reported to police a threat posted on the social networking site.

"If a member of Parliament in this country can't speak about issues freely without being threatened to be killed, you know, it's a shame," he told CBC News on Friday morning.

News of the Facebook group comes after an organizer of an April 17 Sikh parade in Surrey, B.C., said in a interview on a Metro Vancouver radio station that Dosanjh and Surrey MLA Dave Hayer were not invited, and that if they showed up they should bring their own security.

Dosanjh took those comments as a thinly veiled threat and notified the RCMP. Other spokesmen for the temple later apologized for the comments, but Dosanjh dismissed the apology as insincere.

The MP has a long history of speaking out about Sikh extremists in Canada. In 1985, he was severely beaten in an attack for his comments.

Surrey parade provokes controversy

The Surrey Vaisakhi parade has become controversial in recent years for featuring floats and images of Sikhs linked to the Air India bombing, which killed 329 people, and other militant incidents.

Hayer said he was shocked at violent online comments directed at Dosanjh, adding that spreading violence is not acceptable.

"I think we really have to have a discussion: what type of Canada are we really looking for," said Hayer.

Hayer's father, Tara Singh Hayer, was fatally shot in Surrey in 1998. The outspoken publisher of the local Indo Canadian Times newspaper was to testify as one of the key witnesses against Sikh extremists in the Air India bombing trials.

"Most people that come here, regardless what their religion is, regardless what their background is, they just want a peaceful place where people can respect each other, raise their family without fear of violence, without fear of being murdered, and feeling safe in the street and in the workplace," Hayer said.

Diplomat fears Sikh extremism rising in Canada

India's high commissioner in Ottawa, Shashishekhar Madhukar Gavai, said the Sikh separatist movement to create a homeland in India called Khalistan has been silent for years in that country.

He told CBC News the recent events show Sikh extremism is on the rise in Canada.

"The rise of Sikh extremism anywhere is a legitimate concern for us. And I think it should be a cause of worry to Canadians as well," he said.

"I mean this clearly shows the mindset of these people. They are violent, they are extremists and you know they want to surpress a freedom and voices of reason, that's all I can say," he said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...l#ixzz0lxTO6mXi

http://www.facebook....4&v=wall&ref=ts

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The page is warranted, but the comments on there are just out right stupid. Making threats is just beyond stupid.

Look who's on their making a fool out of himself. The one and only Tejwant 'Singh' from SPN. LOL He just brought the creditability of the page down to sea level.

Sending threats and encouraging violence is not welcome in sikh community specially in canada and other western/eastern countries where freedom of basic human rights are given high importance.

Neo singh, without any offense.. how come we don't see any pro-active statements from WSO or other sikh organizations ? Like educating media outlets regarding the justifying of having singhs of 80's pictures of floats rather than jumping from one individual to another. Float is the main concern of this issue and to surprise me none of the large old sikh organizations took any step to explain it. Sikh Activist did a good job !

Neo singh, without any offense.. how come we don't see any pro-active statements from WSO or other sikh organizations ? Like educating media outlets regarding the justifying of having singhs of 80's pictures of floats rather than jumping from one individual to another. Float is the main concern of this issue and to surprise me none of the large old sikh organizations took any step to explain it. Sikh Activist did a good job !

First of, we need serious agreement which shaheed pictures should be on there, we shouldn't. I am in view - not all singhs which are deemed to be shaheed are genuine shaheed. Their lives have to studied throughly verified through various panthic jathas. Second refrain from posting pictures of shaheed singhs with weapon in nagar kirtan as it sends out wrong message of violence.

Lastly, It be best sikh vatican- Sri Akaal Takth sahib comes with press statements on float of sikh shaheeds. It be official and will refute those who like to have khalistan, extremism, terrorism spin on it, refute the claims that shaheed pictures are shown here are consider back home in punjab by people of punjab and sikh throne- sri akaal takth as terrorist, once sri akaal takht sahib comes with press statement on it, its official, its end of story. They already have sikh shaheed pictures of 1984 at Darbar Sahib. So it shouldn't be problem as long as we post same shaheed pictures as it would be consistent with sri akaal takth sahib declaration of shaheeds.

First of, we need serious agreement which shaheed pictures should be on there, we shouldn't. I am in view - not all singhs which are deemed to be shaheed are genuine shaheed. Their lives have to studied throughly verified through various panthic jathas. Second refrain from posting pictures of shaheed singhs with weapon in nagar kirtan as it sends out wrong message of violence.

Lastly, It be best sikh vatican- Sri Akaal Takth sahib comes with press statements on float of sikh shaheeds. It be official and will refute those who like to have khalistan, extremism, terrorism spin on it, refute the claims that shaheed pictures are shown here are consider back home in punjab by people of punjab and sikh throne- sri akaal takth as terrorist, once sri akaal takht sahib comes with press statement on it, its official, its end of story. They already have sikh shaheed pictures of 1984 at Darbar Sahib. So it shouldn't be problem as long as we post same shaheed pictures as it would be consistent with sri akaal takth sahib declaration of shaheeds.

Singh, if RCMP have already looked at the photos and said they are alright to be in the Nagar Kirtan then what is the problem.

And not with weapons. Then it's just as right to say don't show the Kirpan in the picture aswell. What needs to be done is to educate people that those weapons are used for self-defense. Presidents of countries can be seen in pictures with weapons, but Chardikala Singh can't. It's the education behind it that is not getting to the people.

Sending threats and encouraging violence is not welcome in sikh community specially in canada and other western/eastern countries where freedom of basic human rights are given high importance.

Can a person trust the WSO, There's a huge question mark after that question.

These organization are looking at the more political side. Say if they try to justify Sant ji's stand and then the Indian Government release statements saying taht Sant ji was a terrorist and killed many people then any organization that supports Sant ji will be labeled as radical and can't be trusted.

But you still can justify the Singhs of 80's stand without be directly in support of them and these organizations can't even do that.

So in my book they are just looking out for themselves. Sikh Activist did the best job

Veerje, There is no way that our people will ever agree on one solution. Rather than focusing and discussing with various groups on whose picture should be up on float is sure one dead end and not a good choice. Rather than focusing on individuals, I think the best solution is to build a theme of the float (take issues why movement started) and have one big collage with all shaheed singhs picture on it. Doing research and building a theme is a hard work which interests no-one (even youth) rather than doing a bit civilized mature work they pick easy way.. which is to print a picture of shaheed singh and paste it up on float... and TADA done... You may know the history but don't think that all 100K present @ nagar kirtan have same knowledge as you have...

I will design some brochures that everyone can print out from sikhsangat and distribute it during nagar kirtans around the world.

Only five veer,

The see the problem is with nagar kirtan in surrey it hasn't been consistent with pictures of shaheed and thats is playing an part ofcause in controversy every year. I think this year, they had pictures of shaheed without any weapons Hence, approval from RCMP. Kirpan is pushed as article of faith by sikh organizations here so its different and its becoming acceptable slowly in Canadian mass but other weapons are not.

May be if we show freedom fighters like che guvera, Louis Riel with sant jarnail singh bhindranwale who they had common goals should help with education in mass because they can draw parallelism. We need to distribute pamphelets of our shaheeds showing parallelism with freedom fighters above which are acceptable in western world to media there. so that they can write some real articles instead of capitalization on photo journalism.