Har Har

I have been trying to read Gurbani a little every day.

Keep getting this "Harr harr"

ex:

ਖੁਲਿਆ ਕਰਮੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਭਈ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗਾਈ

खुलिआ करमु क्रिपा भई ठाकुर कीरतनु हरि हरि गाई ॥

Kẖuli▫ā karam kirpā bẖa▫ī ṯẖākur kīrṯan har har gā▫ī.

Good karma has dawned for me - my Lord and Master has become merciful. I sing the Kirtan of the Praises of the Lord, Har, Har.

what does this har har mean?

Thanks,

Wales

Har is another name for God i believe

So whats the point? Is it meant to convey something? Why just say God, God. I feel like I am not getting something here...

Tanks for the reply though

All the best,

Wales

There are various articles that define and break up the VV H G R of Vaheguru explaining

how in each age, a different name was primarily usef ro God, such as Har, Ram, I can't recall the article by heart.

These aspects have been explored in Gurbani, and no specific Name is mentioned or used therein.

However, Gursikhs have time and again proclaimed the power of the True Name of God when chanted.

Gurbani is composed in the 4th and highest spiritual stage, the first 3 being satho, rajo and tamo. I will let someone else expkain these 3 as I may not be able to. However, Gurbani is composed in the 4th and highest spiritual stage, called sehej, which is the state of ease and poise. Therefore it takes a while and effort to fully grasp the deeper meanings. Think of it this way, that a person is intoxicated and keeps repeating the same thing over and over again. And if it is calling out your Beloved (God in this case), then one would anyways continue doing it, as he/she is intoxicated in the divine love of God.

Hope that made sense

Gurbani is composed in the 4th and highest spiritual stage, the first 3 being satho, rajo and tamo. I will let someone else expkain these 3 as I may not be able to. However, Gurbani is composed in the 4th and highest spiritual stage, called sehej, which is the state of ease and poise. Therefore it takes a while and effort to fully grasp the deeper meanings. Think of it this way, that a person is intoxicated and keeps repeating the same thing over and over again. And if it is calling out your Beloved (God in this case), then one would anyways continue doing it, as he/she is intoxicated in the divine love of God.

Hope that made sense

I see. Kind of like if I had not seen my wife in many years, and then all the sudden saw her and was overcome with joy. Or how gurbani sometimes speaks about the joy of being with your husband lord. I have been happy enough upon seeing someone to start repeating their name in joy... so I can see how God could do that to you if you knew him.

Yea man, I can see that.

Thanks for the help!

All the best,

Wales

Guest MereRamRai

Why just say God, God. I feel like I am not getting something here...

Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that God is not seperate from His creation. The carpentar is not the in wood or a goldsmith is not in the gold, Guru jee taught that God is also in what he has created. Thus, you will find countless attribute names of God's nature.

The Creator

Karta translates literally as the Doer, the Creator. Purukh translates literally as man, husband, basically a male person.

In the Sankhya system of Hindu philosophy, Purusha (the Universal Spirit), eternal, indestructible, all pervasive, is without activity or attribute, and if it is left to Prakriti (primal nature), itself an uncaused cause, and an ultimate principle, to bring the phenomenal world into being.

The Sikh doctrine, however, while making use of the word, emphasizes that Purusha is the only Creator. As in Sufi and Vaishnavic lore, He is the only He, His creatures being seen as females longing to go out and Unite with Him.

Dr. Santokh Singh says, "God, the Supreme Being, Himself is the Creator (Kartaa), and being immanent in His Creation, is All Pervasive and fills all (Purakh). He is thus Omniscient, knowing each one's inner mind, and Omnipotent, doing everything everywhere - evoluting, sustaining, and involuting."

Why just say God, God. I feel like I am not getting something here...

Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that God is not seperate from His creation. The carpentar is not the in wood or a goldsmith is not in the gold, Guru jee taught that God is also in what he has created. Thus, you will find countless attribute names of God's nature.

The Creator

Karta translates literally as the Doer, the Creator. Purukh translates literally as man, husband, basically a male person.

In the Sankhya system of Hindu philosophy, Purusha (the Universal Spirit), eternal, indestructible, all pervasive, is without activity or attribute, and if it is left to Prakriti (primal nature), itself an uncaused cause, and an ultimate principle, to bring the phenomenal world into being.

The Sikh doctrine, however, while making use of the word, emphasizes that Purusha is the only Creator. As in Sufi and Vaishnavic lore, He is the only He, His creatures being seen as females longing to go out and Unite with Him.

Dr. Santokh Singh says, "God, the Supreme Being, Himself is the Creator (Kartaa), and being immanent in His Creation, is All Pervasive and fills all (Purakh). He is thus Omniscient, knowing each one's inner mind, and Omnipotent, doing everything everywhere - evoluting, sustaining, and involuting."

very helpful.

Thank You,

Wales