Getting Strong

Hi, I am posting from my mates Sikh Sangat account (Singh#), because I don't want to make a account on this, as I am very very busy, I asked this question to Singh# in school, he told me to try Sikhsangat.com, so here goes:

"Well, basicially, I'm quite tall for my age, im 15, and i'm weak... I want to be strong, strong for the right reasons, not being a wannabe romeo tryna impress bibiya...

I am not tough. I'm get no respect with my class mates... I get kicked about, I want to make muscles and stand up to them. Not start fights. So the question is:

What foods should I eat?

What method should I do to train?

And what else would you reccommend"...

Thats it:

Singh# (This is Singh# speaking now). I have let my mate use this account, I have not told him my password, or username, so chill :p

He started this thread infront of me

It's simple bro. Eat big and work out until you can't do another rep of your workout.

Here's a good simple routine you should follow. Remember to workout you need to do all your main muslces and make a good base and then start focusing on smaller muscles.

Eat a lot of protein as well, you should intake your body weight in protein (in pounds, convert to pounds if you're in the UK. If you weigh 150 pounds you take in 150 grams of protein over 6 meals a day). Good vegetarian protein foods are cottage cheese (one of the best veg protein intake foods ever), bardian (soy beans), milk, bread, roti, sabji is healthy and good for energy. Also you can buy protein powder, make sure to read the label before buying to ensure there's no eggs in there as well. 100% whey by NO is good I think. I'm using nitrotech right now, but it's overpriced. Going to switch to NO if they don't add eggs in their product.

Good luck, just remember workout hard until you can't do the last rep and eat like a sher! Do a warmup set and then add weight, rest, do another set and add a little weight. Your 3rd set (not counting your warmup) should be the heaviest and hardest. You should go until you can't do another rep, if you finish and you feel you could do more you didn't put on enough weight. I suggest doing 3 sets of 8 without the warmup set. Warmup could be whatever is comfortable to warm up for you.

Find a gym partner as well, you'll be needing a spot for squat and bench pressing. Also, never feel down at the gym, you're a lion. Just because you start out weak doesn't mean you won't end up being fit and strong. Just keep at it.

http://forum.bodybui...d.php?t=4195843

^ While the general guideline you have given is good, I do not agree with the forum link. There is an now immense amount of research that supports that a method of linear progression loading is the best method for beginners. Basically, all that means is that for beginners, they should aim to increase the amount of weight for every exercise they do, every week. This can be done for quite some time (think months) until weekly gains are not possible; at this time and ONLY at this time in a one's training phase should a method of non-linear progression be utilized.

That forum post mentions the use of non-linear progression for beginners, which is not good. All that will do is slow the pace of strength and size gains.

Also, some of the exercises used will not help anyone gain a significant amount of functional strength.

Squats - very good

Bench Presses - good

Bent-Over Rows - okay

Overhead Barbell Presses - very good

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - No, replace these with Romanian Dead lift instead

Barbell Curls - No, do pull ups and/or chin ups instead

Calf Raises - No need.

Dead lift and squat, while being complicated moves, should be the corner stone of any decent strength training workout.

OP, I would highly recommend this fitness forum. Join, ask away all the questions you have and you will be provided answers backed up by scientific research, not hearsay which is what we hear in majority of the "fitness" forums.

http://sikhinspiredhealth.motionsforum.com/forum.htm

^ While the general guideline you have given is good, I do not agree with the forum link. There is an now immense amount of research that supports that a method of linear progression loading is the best method for beginners. Basically, all that means is that for beginners, they should aim to increase the amount of weight for every exercise they do, every week. This can be done for quite some time (think months) until weekly gains are not possible; at this time and ONLY at this time in a one's training phase should a method of non-linear progression be utilized.

That forum post mentions the use of non-linear progression for beginners, which is not good. All that will do is slow the pace of strength and size gains.

Also, some of the exercises used will not help anyone gain a significant amount of functional strength.

Squats - very good

Bench Presses - good

Bent-Over Rows - okay

Overhead Barbell Presses - very good

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - No, replace these with Romanian Dead lift instead

Barbell Curls - No, do pull ups and/or chin ups instead

Calf Raises - No need.

Dead lift and squat, while being complicated moves, should be the corner stone of any decent strength training workout.

OP, I would highly recommend this fitness forum. Join, ask away all the questions you have and you will be provided answers backed up by scientific research, not hearsay which is what we hear in majority of the "fitness" forums.

http://sikhinspiredh...m.com/forum.htm

What's your source? I'm pretty new to working out as well so i'm all ears!

If you view the aforementioned forum, it has a lot of information. But the linear progression concept that I touched upon is discussed thoroughly by Mark Rippetoe in his book Practical Programming for Strength Training.

Oh great, now I sound like a sales guy :huh:

Also want to add that the following foods should be consumed in plentiful when one is looking to increase size and strength.

- daal (loaded with protein and amino acids)

- roti (carbs)

- dahi

- milk (whole milk, not skimmed)

Edit: I must also stress that you can be physically the strongest person in the word, but without sewa and simran, all that strength means absolutely nothing!

If you view the aforementioned forum, it has a lot of information. But the linear progression concept that I touched upon is discussed thoroughly by Mark Rippetoe in his book Practical Programming for Strength Training.

Oh great, now I sound like a sales guy :huh:

Also want to add that the following foods should be consumed in plentiful when one is looking to increase size and strength.

- daal (loaded with protein and amino acids)

- roti (carbs)

- dahi

- milk (whole milk, not skimmed)

Edit: I must also stress that you can be physically the strongest person in the word, but without sewa and simran, all that strength means absolutely nothing!

Truth!

Also nice I'm going to eat more daal now :p

hmm everyoen has given their suggestions

Singh# tell ur mate that don't go into bodybuilding yet, hes 15 mite stunt his growth(maybe do a little) do the exercises Oh Twadi has listed for suree and eat right! ooo and most importantly pray for protection, do benti chaupai :D

hope that helps!

WJKK WJKF!!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Try the p90x its really good and works in a matter of weeks. I'm a really weak girl myself, but after trying it out, its made me so much stronger and healthier too! :) hope this helps and good luck! :)

Try the p90x its really good and works in a matter of weeks. I'm a really weak girl myself, but after trying it out, its made me so much stronger and healthier too! :) hope this helps and good luck! :)

I got that off a friend, but never started it lol. It was back when I was looking to get into working out. What are the workouts like and how long are they?

Hi, I am posting from my mates Sikh Sangat account (Singh#), because I don't want to make a account on this, as I am very very busy, I asked this question to Singh# in school, he told me to try Sikhsangat.com, so here goes:

"Well, basicially, I'm quite tall for my age, im 15, and i'm weak... I want to be strong, strong for the right reasons, not being a wannabe romeo tryna impress bibiya...

I am not tough. I'm get no respect with my class mates... I get kicked about, I want to make muscles and stand up to them. Not start fights. So the question is:

What foods should I eat?

What method should I do to train?

And what else would you reccommend"...

Thats it:

Singh# (This is Singh# speaking now). I have let my mate use this account, I have not told him my password, or username, so chill tongue.gif

He started this thread infront of me

you can get protein shakes and myoplex if you our vegetarian, train in mma muay thai ji jitsu boxing wrestling judo and they'll help you get into shape, if you dont want to take up mma here's a great book with a great program i used to get into shape

bodyforlife

you can go to the website bodyforlife.com