Gravesend Akj Rainsabai, 1984 Remembrance And Sikh Channel

I just realised that there is akj rainsabai in Gravesend on 12th Night and on 13th there is annual 1984 rembrance rally. Obviously people who attend rainsabai can not a to attend the rally and those who want to attend rally can not attend the rainsabai. This is not good for panth as sangat will get divided . If anyone from organisers of these events reads this can they do something to avoid the clash?

Also I noticed that there is no promo of any kind of the 13th June 1984 remembrance rally on sikh channel. Shouldn't it be advertised well in advance now that we have a channel so that maximum numbers arrive at the rally and media notices us?

To me holding kirtan program of any jathabandi is much more faeda mand than public rally. Rally is more like political and kirtan program is religious. yeh we need both of em to raise our spirit via kirtan and make our voice heard thru rally. Maybe next time, organizers from both sides need to keep in touch before releasing dates of their program?

HarminderSingh,

What are you on about?!! The Rehansbhai begins at 7pm finishes at 5am. The rally starts about 11am. You can get about 3-4 hours sleep between then if you really want to attend the events - dass has done it before. Sure, we would all like our beauty sleep but its not as though its every weekend is it? its a one-off. So take laahaa of the rehansbhai, do ure ishnaan, recite panj baniyaa, get a bit of sleep if you so wish, then make your way into the city centre. Gravesend isnt very far at all.

To be fair on both organisations, AKJ plan their events a year in advance at least, and this year, Sikh Federation (the main organisers) had no choice but to do the second weekend in June, as an oppose to the first weekend (which is normally the case) because some other event is already booked in city centre that first weekend. Wasnt a deliberate clash and i think it was quite unavoidable too.

Oh and in terms of Sikh Channel, I was there last year myself and the owner of the channel does not like to promote 1984 events because he feels only a small proportion of Sikhs support Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa. He will delay advertising it as much as he can :)

HarminderSingh,

What are you on about?!! The Rehansbhai begins at 7pm finishes at 5am. The rally starts about 11am. You can get about 3-4 hours sleep between then if you really want to attend the events - dass has done it before. Sure, we would all like our beauty sleep but its not as though its every weekend is it? its a one-off. So take laahaa of the rehansbhai, do ure ishnaan, recite panj baniyaa, get a bit of sleep if you so wish, then make your way into the city centre. Gravesend isnt very far at all.

To be fair on both organisations, AKJ plan their events a year in advance at least, and this year, Sikh Federation (the main organisers) had no choice but to do the second weekend in June, as an oppose to the first weekend (which is normally the case) because some other event is already booked in city centre that first weekend. Wasnt a deliberate clash and i think it was quite unavoidable too.

Oh and in terms of Sikh Channel, I was there last year myself and the owner of the channel does not like to promote 1984 events because he feels only a small proportion of Sikhs support Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa. He will delay advertising it as much as he can :)

Invitation to event has been sent to over 4,500 Facebook friends in the last 48 hours.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=109858655725398

The Sikh Channel yesterday started advertising the Remembrance March & Freedom Rally on Sunday 13 June 2010 in London.

This read: JUNE 1984 REMEMBRANCE MARCH & FREEDOM RALLY – Join thousands of other Sikhs on Sunday 13 June from 11am in North Carriage Drive , outside Hyde Park . Followed by massive rally in Trafalgar Square ending at 4.30pm . Contact your local Gurdwara for transport. All Gurdwaras are encouraged to provide the Sikh Channel with local contact details for a Promo.

A Promo is being developed for the Sikh Channel by a Sikh Federation (UK) sewadar. One was developed yesterday, but required many changes.

If you are attending we need:

Town name

Name of Gurdwara 1

Name of Contact at Gurdwara

Tel No:

Name of Gurdwara 2

Name of Contact at Gurdwara

Tel No:

Some have already emailed.

Please try and help. Email info@sikhfederation.com. We will ring the contact and confirm.

Also gathering in North Carriage Drive, outside Hyde Park is between 11am and 1pm so as long as Sangat arrive by 1pm they should be able to take part in the Remembrance March & Freedom Rally.

Posters were produced before the weekend and should have been distributed by the organisers at the weekend.

Please make sure your local Gurdwara starts to make announcements.

SOME OF THE MESSAGES WE WANT TO GIVE

1) Sikhs throughout the world were outraged by the June 1984 Indian army assault on the Darbar Sahib Complex, where the Akaal Takht, Sikh Reference Library and historic artefacts were destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

2) To maximise casualties the unprecedented action using artillery and tanks was deliberately timed to coincide with the anniversary of the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji.

3) There were huge numbers of pilgrims in attendance, which resulted in thousands of innocent Sikhs being killed in cold blood, many with their hands and feet bound, including women and children.

4) Over 125 other Gurdwaras, including forty historic Gurdwaras throughout Punjab were simultaneously attacked using massive fire power. Thousands of Sikhs were arrested, tortured, and killed, including children.

Please contact your local Gurdwara and join the many thousands of Sikhs in London on Sunday 13 June 2010 for the Remembrance March & Freedom Rally to remember those massacred in June 1984.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS INVITATION TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK

OVER 5,000 HAVE ALREADY BEEN SENT THIS MESSAGE - WITH YOUR HELP WE CAN DOUBLE THIS

http://www.facebook.com/?tid=1384597587250&sk=messages#!/event.php?eid=109858655725398

if any of the organisers were a little smart they would march everyone at the protest to the indian embassy and display some signs of fury, this would get national tv interest. i fear noone will take notice of my plea and just carry on with a nice day out kind of protest with no results in terms of news coverage. so organisers, think about this carefully.

if any of the organisers were a little smart they would march everyone at the protest to the indian embassy and display some signs of fury, this would get national tv interest. i fear noone will take notice of my plea and just carry on with a nice day out kind of protest with no results in terms of news coverage. so organisers, think about this carefully.

The march was close to an empty Indian Commission building for around 20 years - this did not attract the mainstream media.