Query-Bikramajit History

mohinder pal

When you say samat, what exactly you mean?

There is a samat calendar also and that was started by militant tribe of Punjab.

samat or samvat\samvatsar is sanskrit word meaning year , in common parlance

refered as vedic calander, there are two systems prevalent , one is lunar calander

where one revolution of moon arounr earth is taken as one month , callaed

Saka samvat (named after Sakas , the warrior clan) the other is solar calender

where one revolution of our earth around sun is taken as one year, further

divider in 12 months and this is called as Biktami Samvat , named after Bikramaditya

the king of Ujjain who is under reference here

further study of the subject is suggested to update yourself in the subject

SSAji,

By any chance anyone of you have detailed info. about Bikramajit. He was a Raj Yogi and Brahmagyani who started Samat. I know few of the Sakhis related to him. But i'm looking for Detailed Info. about him. Please share if anyone of you have it.

Thanks and Regards,

we have his stories in puranic literature, i have read some in Bhavishya puran , if you can get it

saka calendar is Hindu calendar modified and adopted by Indian Govt.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0877711.html#axzz0zetLbOzU

The Hindu (Indian National) Calendar

The Indian National Calendar, often called the “Hindu Calendar,” is based on both lunar and solar years. This calendar was introduced in 1957 in a government push for all of India to use the same calendar, but various traditional calendars are also used. The start of the Indian National Calendar year coincides with March 22, except in a leap year, when it coincides with March 21. The year is counted from the first year of the Saka era, in A.D. 78. The year 2010 translates to Saka era 1931-1932.

Read more: The Hindu (Indian National) Calendar — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0877711.html#ixzz0zetXe8f0

http://sikhsangat.org/2010/01/nanakshahi-calendar-was-it-made-to-unite-or-divide-sikhs/

Saka calender was old Hindu religious calender. This was modified by Govt of India in 1959 and adopted as Indian civil calender. Nanakshahi Calender is carbon copy of that calender.

Unquote

Samat calendar is is lunar calendar and was introduced by militant tribes of Punjab.

http://sikhsangat.org/2010/01/nanakshahi-calendar-was-it-made-to-unite-or-divide-sikhs/

On the contrary , Bikrami Samvat calender was of Iranian origin and adapted by militant tribes of Punjab who made their mark in world history by putting a strong resistance against Alexander the great. They adopted it in 57 BC. This was known as Malva calender. History states that its name was changed to Bikrami calender in 858 AD. History also states that Raja Bikramidittaya was a mythological figure only. Bikrami calender is followed both Indian and Pakistan Punjabs

• 2 weeks later...

I was Referring to Raja Bikramajit who started the Samat. He was a Raj yogi and Brahmgyani. He was from Suryavanshi Clan. He had recieved Gyan from Surya Devtaa. I know few of the Sakhis related to him. But i was looking for Detailed Info about Bikramajit Raja

the name of the king is Vikramaditya , we can have some of his stories in Bhavishya puran . based on his mention in this book is the popular book called Singhasan battisi (a collection of 32 stories told to raja bhoj by the 32 fairies guarding the throne ofvikramaditya , when the the throne was found by the Bhoj and he tried to sit on it , every time he would try to sit, a fairy . everytime a different one told a story of wisdom of Vikramaditya and ask Bhoj to sit in throne if he can match the wisdom and justice of Vikramaditya