"Sikh" Awards

Pyara

For those of us who love self glorification in expensive halls, please see a link to pictures from this "Sikh" awards ceremony.

Watching the sewa that GurSikhs like Khalsa Aid and other Mahapursh's do for the poor, in my opinion I don't see what benefit a poncy award ceremony like this in a lavish setting provides to the kaum.

The money spent could have been put to better use.....

http://www.eastwestp...+ceremony+12943

A few interesting pictures - including Sonia Deol, Bhai Mohinder Singh Soho Road, Bhai Roop Singh, Jazzy B, Bhagra Dancers and much more... What do you have t do to get an award? - Singh Bhangra Songs?.... The last official and REAL sikh award was given to Sri Maan Sant Giani Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranvale - The Greatest Sikh of the 20/21st Century.

http://www.eastwestphotography.com/assets/x/174685/h300

http://www.eastwestphotography.com/assets/x/174739/h300

http://www.eastwestphotography.com/assets/x/174493/h300

http://www.eastwestphotography.com/assets/x/174358/h300

http://www.eastwestphotography.com/assets/x/174285/h300

http://www.eastwestphotography.com/assets/x/174279/h300

all look like manmukhs....*sigh* its not sikh its punjabi..nothing sikh about it

It was a fix, nobody who speaks or promotes the Khalsa was going to get any award, it was all about the Soho Road Marayada promotion. Its clear ( also in this weeks Des Pardes weekly magazine ) that the people or organisations that did get awarded "knew" someone in the judging committee or follow Soho Road Jatha. The only video that was shown was of Bhai Mohinder Singh recieveing Sorapas, Kirpans or some other awards from the queen etc , a self promoting video.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Lets start from the beginning.....

Pyara...IT certainly wasn't self glorification - it was the glorification of those well deserving Sikhs who have invested most of their lives in achieving their goals. Its always the age old argument that money should always be spent on the poor and the needy ..agreed! and I'm sure you would be one of those who would be the first to say that the sikhs have been contributing to society for over five hundred years why hasn't anyone taken notice! Well Navdeep Singh has to be commended for putting his money where his mouth is and actually raising the profiles of Sikhs. Sure it was lavish ... why shouldn't it be .... look how many other award ceremonies take place -the asian awards etc etc etc ...... why can't we have one for Sikhs!!!! You said you dont see the point! well the point is clear to me .... it's to promote achievement by Sikhs, it's to recognise the efforts and selfless service of individuals that have spent their lives in the service of others without anyone even noticing ...eg United Sikhs

Well Done And Good Luck To them!

Guptkuri.......Well each and every individual had the opportunity to nominate sikhs in a variety of ways ........ did you? Those that were nominated, regardless of looks were all sikhs and not neccesarily from punjab! and they worked incredibly hard to be where they are today ... don't knock them.... Where are you ? are you good enough to be nominated?

Khalistan Zindabad ...... Sri Maan Sant Giani Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranvale - humble namaskaar to them. Today we are trying to raise our profile within the communities that we live in. In that particular category it was someone who was singing bhangra songs.... fine it might not be your cup of tea ... but the guy has made an achievement ... why didn't you nominate someone more deserving!

Avnitk.. * huge Sigh* what are you talking about ? Can you please tell me what a manmukh looks like !!! I don't think anyone is qualified enough to make such a ridiculous statement. Are you a Gurmukh? question yourself? You may look like one but your comment is definately not one that a Gurmukh would have made! It actually was about Sikhs ... what's this about Punjabi's ? are punjabi's not Sikhs????

AS for Hoshiarpuria !!!!!!! really not very hoshiar!!!! were you actually there!!? think not!! How do you know it was a fix -- oh yeah Des Pardes - of course thay always tell the truth!! - not !!! The video was not self promotion!!! - it was actually showing Bhai Mohinder Singh Ji receiving the designation of "BHAI SAHIB" from Akal Takht Sahib, for the truly selfless way that they completed the seva of the four takhts. The queen had nothing to do with it - get your facts right. And it was only right and proper that the video should be shown because it is the GREATEST AWARD that can be bestowed by the panth on anyone ... check it out ... less than a handful have been awrded in the last century!!!! Get over your issues with soho road and stop misleading people. Oh Please if you know about insider dealing let us in on it ... bcos it was anything but fixed. Why is it that you people are always ready to criticise but never willing to offer your support to those trying to do something for the panth - in whatever way they choose. PLEASE believe me when I assure you that newspapers tell 5% fact and 95% fiction!!

Hardeep - I'm sure you must also have insider info about the business venture for sure!!! Why can't you guys see that it's stupid comments like yours that have hampered the progress of sikhs throughout the centuries. We do not need to fear the enemy bcos the enemy is within. When someone is trying to do something for Sikhi, for the panth, why can't you give your support? why must you pull the rug from under peolpes feet. I'm sure there will be others popping up - but is that not a good thing! why can't we inspire our kids to achieve ... give them goals .... maybe in the future all of you will make the effort to see who is in the community worthy of an award . and if you want Gursikhs up there ....then nominate them!!!! simple!!

SEWADAR5,

Coming from a personal viewpoint, the Sikhi that I interpret is self-effacing, down to earth and humble. Personally I don't know if we really need to shout from the rooftops about how great and wonderful some indivduals are. As the saying goes 'actions speak louder than words.'

ghat ghat kai antar ki jant. bhlai burai ki pir pachant. chiti tai kunchr asthoola. sabh par kirpa diristi kar phoola. (11)

Intimate Knower of all our feelings recognises the intentions of all creatures, good or bad. From ant to elephant, He protects and cares for all.(11)

(Chaupai Sahib)

There comes a point in time when awards in lavish venues just get brushed off as an ego puffing exercise. If your intentions were to genuinely give recognition to these "Sikhs" then perhaps change the venue to a Gurdwara where the mahan sirapo be offered to these "Sikhs" in front of the very Guru and Sangat who gave them the blessings to be successful in the first place.

I am sorry but I could not connect the nimrata of Sikhi with this type of Award ceremony. I just didn't get it and please don't take it personal to your event management prowess.

SEWADAR5,

Coming from a personal viewpoint, the Sikhi that I interpret is self-effacing, down to earth and humble. Personally I don't know if we really need to shout from the rooftops about how great and wonderful some indivduals are. As the saying goes 'actions speak louder than words.'

ghat ghat kai antar ki jant. bhlai burai ki pir pachant. chiti tai kunchr asthoola. sabh par kirpa diristi kar phoola. (11)

Intimate Knower of all our feelings recognises the intentions of all creatures, good or bad. From ant to elephant, He protects and cares for all.(11)

(Chaupai Sahib)

There comes a point in time when awards in lavish venues just get brushed off as an ego puffing exercise. If your intentions were to genuinely give recognition to these "Sikhs" then perhaps change the venue to a Gurdwara where the mahan sirapo be offered to these "Sikhs" in front of the very Guru and Sangat who gave them the blessings to be successful in the first place.

I am sorry but I could not connect the nimrata of Sikhi with this type of Award ceremony. I just didn't get it and please don't take it personal to your event management prowess.

PYARA,

Chuffed that you think I organised the event but unfortunately I never had the vision or the courage to stand up and do something like this! Again I do not see it as a puffing up exercise or contrary to Sikhism. Why should sikhs always remain in the background?I think we do need to shout from the rooftops.. Look around you in the world of today ...... where are we in that place. Just look at Obama = doesn't think we are significant enough to go to Amritsar . What is so wrong with an event like this? Dream on if you think this should take place in a Gurdwara .... firstly only Dhan Guru Granth Sahib Ji should be praised in a gurdwara and secondly,,,, which gurdwara? can yiu imagine the politics? and there would be a miilion people screaming that it should be taken out of the gurdwara!!!!!

I saw this as a venture to recognise the achievements of Sikhs ! why not? why cant sikhs be celebrated? it isnt an ego trip ... it.s actually very humbling to see how members of our community are working tirelessly to make strides in the uk and abroad. I am supporting this bcos in our current environment when our girls/boys are actively being targeted to convert to other faiths ... they can physically see that as Sikhs they can achieve in all walks of life. Even if it encourages one person to follow their dreams as a sikh then its worth it!

None of the nominees asked to be nominated... they were bcos they worked hard in their lives..... I look forward to seeing more of these awards maybe with more gursikhs to be examples for our kids,

Where does nimrita fit in ..... well it's humbling to see the devotion. hard work. dedication of others ,It makes you reflect on your own life and evaluate how much you have achieved or given back!!

How do you know i wasn't there ? A bit judgemental !

Anyway , i am aware Judge Mota Singh was on the Judgeing panel and his very well connected to United Sikhs and so no surprise about the award.. Also as your name suggests SEVADAARS , you didnt mention Khalsa Aid . Is it because you too favour United Sikhs or connected to them, its strange you only mention them !

The media award should have clearly gone to the Sikh Channel but because Soho Road is involved in the Sangat TV there was no way that would have happened , clearly a biased decision. The Sikh Channel has revolutionised Sikh media and yet recieves no award, a joke !

Your e mail is full of anger , try to calm down. I am pleased that Bhai Mohinder Singh got the awards, but there were many nominees who have done a brilliant job but they weren't allowed to show their videos. Is that not self -promo ? Take the chill pill !

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Lets start from the beginning.....

Pyara...IT certainly wasn't self glorification - it was the glorification of those well deserving Sikhs who have invested most of their lives in achieving their goals. Its always the age old argument that money should always be spent on the poor and the needy ..agreed! and I'm sure you would be one of those who would be the first to say that the sikhs have been contributing to society for over five hundred years why hasn't anyone taken notice! Well Navdeep Singh has to be commended for putting his money where his mouth is and actually raising the profiles of Sikhs. Sure it was lavish ... why shouldn't it be .... look how many other award ceremonies take place -the asian awards etc etc etc ...... why can't we have one for Sikhs!!!! You said you dont see the point! well the point is clear to me .... it's to promote achievement by Sikhs, it's to recognise the efforts and selfless service of individuals that have spent their lives in the service of others without anyone even noticing ...eg United Sikhs

Well Done And Good Luck To them!

Guptkuri.......Well each and every individual had the opportunity to nominate sikhs in a variety of ways ........ did you? Those that were nominated, regardless of looks were all sikhs and not neccesarily from punjab! and they worked incredibly hard to be where they are today ... don't knock them.... Where are you ? are you good enough to be nominated?

Khalistan Zindabad ...... Sri Maan Sant Giani Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranvale - humble namaskaar to them. Today we are trying to raise our profile within the communities that we live in. In that particular category it was someone who was singing bhangra songs.... fine it might not be your cup of tea ... but the guy has made an achievement ... why didn't you nominate someone more deserving!

Avnitk.. * huge Sigh* what are you talking about ? Can you please tell me what a manmukh looks like !!! I don't think anyone is qualified enough to make such a ridiculous statement. Are you a Gurmukh? question yourself? You may look like one but your comment is definately not one that a Gurmukh would have made! It actually was about Sikhs ... what's this about Punjabi's ? are punjabi's not Sikhs????

AS for Hoshiarpuria !!!!!!! really not very hoshiar!!!! were you actually there!!? think not!! How do you know it was a fix -- oh yeah Des Pardes - of course thay always tell the truth!! - not !!! The video was not self promotion!!! - it was actually showing Bhai Mohinder Singh Ji receiving the designation of "BHAI SAHIB" from Akal Takht Sahib, for the truly selfless way that they completed the seva of the four takhts. The queen had nothing to do with it - get your facts right. And it was only right and proper that the video should be shown because it is the GREATEST AWARD that can be bestowed by the panth on anyone ... check it out ... less than a handful have been awrded in the last century!!!! Get over your issues with soho road and stop misleading people. Oh Please if you know about insider dealing let us in on it ... bcos it was anything but fixed. Why is it that you people are always ready to criticise but never willing to offer your support to those trying to do something for the panth - in whatever way they choose. PLEASE believe me when I assure you that newspapers tell 5% fact and 95% fiction!!

Hardeep - I'm sure you must also have insider info about the business venture for sure!!! Why can't you guys see that it's stupid comments like yours that have hampered the progress of sikhs throughout the centuries. We do not need to fear the enemy bcos the enemy is within. When someone is trying to do something for Sikhi, for the panth, why can't you give your support? why must you pull the rug from under peolpes feet. I'm sure there will be others popping up - but is that not a good thing! why can't we inspire our kids to achieve ... give them goals .... maybe in the future all of you will make the effort to see who is in the community worthy of an award . and if you want Gursikhs up there ....then nominate them!!!! simple!!