"Sikh" Awards

Pyara

I didn't say that we shouldn't embrace everyone, we should. But really is that the way to reach people by giving them sikh awards when they don't even follow sikhi? Surely there are other ways to reach out to people.

also, sorry about my comments about darshan ragi. I only said that because I was looking at the pictures and few of the people in attendance associate themselfs with sikh websites that blatently support/advertise Darshan Ragi. Their action of associating and working with sites that promote darshan ragi makes them seem pro-darshan ragi and they should be careful about that.

Anyways, I am sorry. I will keep quiet from now. Congrats on the sucess of the award show.

Basically , having read some of these forums, I was quite surprised to see how people do not think about the effect of things that they say on those that are not as well versed in sikhi. Looks are imperative and integral to Sikhi as is rehat " rehat pyari muj ko, Sikh pyara nahi" . Nevertheless, Guru Nanak Dev ji's teachings are also integral to sikhi ...if Waheguru Ji's jot is in each and every one of us "sab may jot, jot hay soe" then how can we ignore those that haven't been as fortunate as us - my belief is that it is each and everyone's duty to look out for our own and somehow bring them closer to Bani and Bana- by whatever means at our disposal.

My advice to you ( if I may) is don't get hung up on ideals etc ...concentrate on what is inside - I once went to a kirtan and noticed a "mona sikh" sitting near the kirtani's who was totally engrossed in the kirtan. Although I just caught a glimpse of him I was astounded by his knowledge and very humbled bcos as an amritdhari - I didn't even know half as much gurbani as he did. So I try not to judge bcos when he does get blessed and take Amrit he will be waaaaay ahead of me! I apologise if I have upset you in any way but we shouldn't make sweeping statements which could spark off rumours which in turn would cause untold grief to innocent people!

I wish to raise a concern about the credibility of one of the winners. I believe the narrative made on the Sikh awards website about that specific winner maybe doubtful and question the legitimacy of a particular achievement highlighted on the Sikh awards website relating to this individual which would have "influenced" the judges’ decision. Also concerns about the professional conduct of this "Sikh" awards nominee/winner have been raised in the past by some members of the community.

Can SEWDAR5 explain the due diligence carried out in checking whether a certain claimed "accomplishment" actually took place and the professional history, background and professional qualifications declared by these "Sikh" award nominees/winners?

Well I would like to help but I haven't got a clue. I merely started commenting bcos I thought some of the comments were quite outrageous! I just feel we shouldn't always pick holes in other people's efforts. Sikhs have won awards in other awards ceremonies but this is the first time this ceremony has taken place exclusively for Sikhs - why can't we as a community accept that and support that rather than always bring things down! I don't know what you are referring to but I would think the judges would have done their best to select the most deserving

personally, I'm really glad that these guys have actually put something together of this calibre.smile.gif

We live in 21st century. We go on about not being recognised in this country and want to shout about being omitted as a category from the censes.

but when we look at some of the achievements of our brothers and sisters, why can't we -and why shouldn't we celebrate them on a prominent platform for the world to see.? why not

I believe this is the first event of its kind, surely we should constructively criticise -if we have to?

As for the 'sikh' element-excuse my lack of knowledge but my understanding is that we should be living sikhie- as a gristi jeevan. that is living breathing and practising.

who are we to judge how much another is living that way. ARE YOU? its not just about wearing a bana or knowing your nitnem off by heart.

what about DAYA and PYAAR for each other- sarbaat da bhalaa. how you going to judge that in these people.,

maybe we should look at positives instead of picking holes all the time- if we do have issues- speak to those involved and maybe help make things better next time. these guys may be grateful for advice and welcome suggestions.

Thank you for sharing my views!