Sikh Shops, Restaurants, Businesses

geo

hi what do you guys think of sikh people making a living from running shops that sell alcohol, meat and tobacco?

also restaurants serving the and pubs/clubs etc etc

and yet these people will go to the gurdwara on sunday without any problems.

im sure you are all aware that most sikhs running businesses are involved with one of the above trades so it is a huge issue in this day and age.

Nanak Naam Chardi Kala Tere Bahanay Sarbat Da Bhalla -

We all have a responsibility to ensure that the services we involve ourselves in, our spending, our saving and our investments don't cause harm to others.

As Sikhs we should follow Gurmat and make decisions in our daily life which take into account the ethics and morals of our Guru Sahibs.

hi what do you guys think of sikh people making a living from running shops that sell alcohol, meat and tobacco?

also restaurants serving the and pubs/clubs etc etc

and yet these people will go to the gurdwara on sunday without any problems.

im sure you are all aware that most sikhs running businesses are involved with one of the above trades so it is a huge issue in this day and age.

It is very difficult to live life completely shielded from practices you may not agree with.

In some cases, people have little choice about where they work. Also, all our gurdwaras have bank accounts with banks that reinvest that money in all sorts of companies, including those that sell alcohol, tobacco, meat, etc.

Where do you draw a line?

i personally dont see th big deal in it, as most dont have a choice or the priveleges of having other jobs. Its very hard now as it was 30yrs ago for our community to have a job which they can enjoy or wish to have. And its not just sikhs, others from other religions are in the same situation. Well said to guptkuri, she has made very good points.

Its a job for most people means getting a roof over their heads, and feeding their families.

If one is gursikh then there is the debate of not doing it. But end of day what else can somebody do that may have little education and being of asian background is also an issue in one getting a job which they would love to do.

I shouldnt be so broadminded on this topic, I personally feel its a waste of topic, and putting those down who work very hard to run these businesses, its a living for god's sake and everybodys karm are not the same, so they have to do something. For all u know they may not even be consuming the products they sell.

So wat will they do if they leave their jobs? Are u going to feed them? I guess not.

Sikhi isnt about putting others down, its about helping others and being proud of wat they are doing. Why can they not go to the gurdwara on sundays or any other day if they want. Are u going to throw them out of the gurdwara too? The gurdwara is there for all, as long as they dont go into it consuming these products.

Get real paaji, we should be looking at wat qualities we dont have rather than wasting time on others. How do u know some of them may do more path than I can ever do in my whole life.

http://www.sikhsangeet.com/player/play.php?id=4648,

i personally dont see th big deal in it,

You don't see others are suffering because of your actions of selling drugs?

as most dont have a choice or the priveleges of having other jobs.

The choice is to make less at a job that does not sell it or make more where its sold or run these business to make more? Do you want blood coming from your roti or milk?

Its a job for most people means getting a roof over their heads, and feeding their families.

It surely is a job, but the job can be a correct job according to Sikhi or a wrong one. Selling alcohol or tobacco, running pubs and clubs are these wrong jobs.

I shouldnt be so broadminded on this topic, I personally feel its a waste of topic, and putting those down who work very hard to run these businesses, its a living for god's sake and everybodys karm are not the same, so they have to do something. For all u know they may not even be consuming the products they sell.

Can you explain what honest living means in Sikhi, as it is one of the three pillars.

So wat will they do if they leave their jobs? Are u going to feed them? I guess not.

Is it my job to feed them. Whose job is it to make an honest living? The Russians! They'll eat less

Sikhi isnt about putting others down, its about helping others and being proud of wat they are doing.

Then why do you support selling drugs to others?

Get real paaji, we should be looking at wat qualities we dont have rather than wasting time on others. How do u know some of them may do more path than I can ever do in my whole life.

http://www.sikhsange...lay.php?id=4648,

The Brahmins also did their paath, but none of them gained anything from it. They still agrued with each other and lived as hypocrites. Doing paath is not repeating it, but taking the understand of it and applying it to our lives.

excuse me paaji, b4 u go accusing others, i do not support drugs or alcohol, and for ur information I am talking about those that do not have a choice, how can they have a choice. You obviously are a well educated person who has a choice, but there are people that have come from india into this country like 30yrs ago, who could not do any other work for the sake of money and to live, and there are people that do it today. Wat do u suggest they do, if they are stuck in that vicious circle?

Obviously it is bad for a gursikh to sell alcohol and drugs, but i am not talking about those people.. You seem like privileged people that have the choice, I suggest u read guptkuri bhenji's post then u may understand wat i am talking about.

As for blood or milk coming out of roti thats for god to decide not for u paaji.

The person buying the drugs should also be responsible for their own actions, they should not be doing it in the first place. What about sikh children taking drugs, isnt that an issue that should be discussed.

Do u really think if somebody had the choice of not selling these products that they intentionally would? I am not talking about those that have the CHOICE, i am talking about those that have no others means of income due to their lives.

I very well understand wat path is all about dear. But we know people who have convienience stores and grocery stores that sell these products. We dont cut them off because of the work they do, and why should we stop them going to the gurdwara. I think u have misunderstood wat im trying to say.

Geo obviously has wrote it wrong too, stirring a fight, which obviously it has done. Everyones karm is with them from beginning to end, and end of day I feel its up to god to judge us on wat we do, not u. U obviously have pin pointed phrases i have wrote deliberately and turned the whole thing around in order to make me look bad.

Which I have not supported any of it, then why did Mr geo not write Gursikhs, that is wat sikhi is all about. The way he has written it is obviously bound to get people that aren't gursikhs to reply. I do not believe in anything but Guru Nanak ji, and being sikh to me is learning, which I am doing. If the brahmins lived like hypocrites, i see the same things happening in sikhi, and wat kind of comment was that go to gurdwara on sunday as with no problem. Thats wat i meant by putting others down, why dont u do something about it then if u feel so strongly about it, like educating people, instead of thinking ur one above the rest and who are u to judge who can to the gurdwara and who cant. That was a very nasty comment. We have been in that position where we had no choice but to do these jobs, and that hurt when u are given mehne for something which is not under ur control, especially when u have gareebi.

Only 5 paaji tusi sochi jaoo jo sochna, sada rab jande asi ki hai te ki nai. I apologise to the sangat if my wording came across as if i support these things which i dont.

Obviously I have been misunderstood, so I request everybody to read between the lines not at the words.

thankuji sangat ji.

PS: the shabad i put up was Ham nahi changeh tha bura koini.

I believe the whole monetary system is corrupt. Because the system would not work if everyone was rich. There always has to be someone poor. Therefore anyone involved in money is evil. However right now we all seem to need money. Im not excluded either. But ofcourse there are good people who earn money. Its because we have become slaves to the system, and dependent on the system. We as human beings should know all the secrets of the universe. How to make our owns vehicles, houses, grow our own foods, make our own clothes.Being self-sufficent whilst having an infinite amount to give to everyone? Why are we not like that? Because we became attached to the material universe, and forgot the source of our true power. Waheguru. We are all in this situation. We all rely on a corrupt system, therefore we are all evil. Thats why they call it "kaliyuga". But enough is enough, we got to realise our true selves again. Like Guru Gobind Singh said 1 Sikh will have to power of 125,000 thousand. (Sorry if i said that wrong, but you know what i mean". But anyway do you know of any Sikhs with that kind of power? I don't think any exist, thats because we truly suck. But enough now, lets all remember Waheguru. It doesn't have to be like it is now.

You wake up, go to work for 8 hours doing a job you don't even like. All for money? Ofcourse i was just generalising there, but you see my point. Money is just a piece of paper with some numbers on it? And our lives are dictated by this? People die because they havent got enough digits on a computer screen? Thats how stupid it is. We are like the only civlisation that uses money. Many alien civilisations out there, provide things to their people for free. Because everything is in abundance in the universe like it even says in Japji, and because the people do things out of love. If you truly love everyone, why would you want to charge them? More importantly why do we have to pay to live on a planet that we were born on? It is ludicrous. But people just accept the things the way they are. But why? Because we have forgotten who we truly are. The sons and daughters of GOD! We don't have to pay nobody nothing, we owe our lives to Waheguru only. And the time has come where we develop this world out of love not greed. A revolution is here. A paradigm shift is coming. We are going to change the world. Remember does Guruji charge us for langar? There is a reason it is free. Because it is our divine right, given by God.

excuse me paaji, b4 u go accusing others, i do not support drugs or alcohol, and for ur information I am talking about those that do not have a choice, how can they have a choice. You obviously are a well educated person who has a choice, but there are people that have come from india into this country like 30yrs ago, who could not do any other work for the sake of money and to live, and there are people that do it today. Wat do u suggest they do, if they are stuck in that vicious circle?

Obviously it is bad for a gursikh to sell alcohol and drugs, but i am not talking about those people.. You seem like privileged people that have the choice, I suggest u read guptkuri bhenji's post then u may understand wat i am talking about.

As for blood or milk coming out of roti thats for god to decide not for u paaji.

The person buying the drugs should also be responsible for their own actions, they should not be doing it in the first place. What about sikh children taking drugs, isnt that an issue that should be discussed.

Do u really think if somebody had the choice of not selling these products that they intentionally would? I am not talking about those that have the CHOICE, i am talking about those that have no others means of income due to their lives.

I very well understand wat path is all about dear. But we know people who have convienience stores and grocery stores that sell these products. We dont cut them off because of the work they do, and why should we stop them going to the gurdwara. I think u have misunderstood wat im trying to say.

Geo obviously has wrote it wrong too, stirring a fight, which obviously it has done. Everyones karm is with them from beginning to end, and end of day I feel its up to god to judge us on wat we do, not u. U obviously have pin pointed phrases i have wrote deliberately and turned the whole thing around in order to make me look bad.

Which I have not supported any of it, then why did Mr geo not write Gursikhs, that is wat sikhi is all about. The way he has written it is obviously bound to get people that aren't gursikhs to reply. I do not believe in anything but Guru Nanak ji, and being sikh to me is learning, which I am doing. If the brahmins lived like hypocrites, i see the same things happening in sikhi, and wat kind of comment was that go to gurdwara on sunday as with no problem. Thats wat i meant by putting others down, why dont u do something about it then if u feel so strongly about it, like educating people, instead of thinking ur one above the rest and who are u to judge who can to the gurdwara and who cant. That was a very nasty comment. We have been in that position where we had no choice but to do these jobs, and that hurt when u are given mehne for something which is not under ur control, especially when u have gareebi.

Only 5 paaji tusi sochi jaoo jo sochna, sada rab jande asi ki hai te ki nai. I apologise to the sangat if my wording came across as if i support these things which i dont.

Obviously I have been misunderstood, so I request everybody to read between the lines not at the words.

thankuji sangat ji.

PS: the shabad i put up was Ham nahi changeh tha bura koini.

Alright......Whatever makes you sleep easier at night.