Role Of The Giani In Gurdwara

Artmental

Yes I agree. It would help the understanding of Sikhi amongst youngsters immensely.

I'm probably generalising but I reckon a home-grown Giani would be more inclined to take up the role of 'Giani' out of love for Sikhi, rather than seeing it as 'just another' job or a method of making money (or even a way of becoming a permanent resident of a Western country). Of course we've all got to eat and money is important for that, but I'm just saying that I would love to see home-grown Gianis as permanent fixtures in Gurudwaras in the UK.

If anything it would encourage those not versed in the intricacies of Punjabi to at least try to understand Sikhi. But of course Punjabi is also very important and I'm not advocating that Gianis speak only English.

Yes and younger gianis should be included more aswell. I remeber at a wedding I went to a little while ago there was a Giani who looked like he was in his early 20's reading the paath. I haven't seen many of those and found him so inspiring, while many (prob most but I could be wrong) were doled up and thinking about the reception anticipating the booze up he was worshipping our master.

How about the so called Pardhans and Committee members who use giani's as their personal slave? I know gianis who were asked to make rotiyans and clean up the gardens by committee members. How do you expect these gianis to stay after they get their visas?

I will post my thoughts on roles of gianis soon.

That's your experience of Gianis, and I'm just giving the sangat my own personal experiences. Neither of us is wrong - different things happen at different times in different locations. I just happened to point out what I've been seeing and hearing since I was a child (and I did say I was probably generalising).

Artmental Jee,

Your question is an interesting one as you can see from the number of enthusiastic replies hehe.

The word 'gyani' itself is self explanatory that the main quality of such a person is that he/she has gyan i.e knowledge and in this context means to be enlightened and not in ignorance. A gyani is not just one who can read and explain holy scriptures, perform religious rituals and Rights of passage ceremonies, as well as look after a place of God.In Tat Gurmat, a gyani is a person who dwells in a state of enlightenment in the continuos loving presence of God and Guru. Numerous verses in

Sorry for a half written post earlier as I pressed the wrong button accidently(admin you can delete that earlier post). Here is my full reply.

Artmental Jee,

Your question is an interesting one as you can see from the number of enthusiastic replies hehe.

The word 'gyani' itself is self explanatory that the main quality of such a person is that he/she has gyan i.e knowledge and in this context means to be enlightened and not in ignorance. A gyani is not just one who can Artmental Jee,

The word 'gyani' itself is self explanatory that the main quality of such a person is that he/she has gyan i.e knowledge and in this context means to be enlightened and not in ignorance. In Tat Gurmat, a gyani is a person who dwells in a state of enlightenment in the continuos loving presence of God and Guru, always immersed in the humble and loving sewa of God, Guru, Khalsa Panth and sangat. Numerous verses in SGGS attest to this. We tend to use the word gyani more loosely in current terminology to refer to a person who can read and explain holy scriptures, perform religious rituals and Rights of passage ceremonies, as well as look after a gurudwara. Even so, the gyani in such a situation should aim to be an enlightened, blessed gurmukh to do justice to having the title gyani placed before his/her name.

The term gyan can be allusive because one could read and sing scriptures correctly and explain them well but a lot of that could be parampara, kitabi, or ‘prea sunia’ gyan, where the person’s inner has not been touched. Refer to the conversation between Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh and Gyani Kartar Singh in ‘jail chithia’ for more indepth into this. On the other hand Gurujee can bless us to start deriving ‘anbhavee’ gyan from our nitnem, gurbani reading, simran, kirtan etc. This places one on the road to becoming a real gyani through Maharaj’s kirpa. To have such a person in a gurudwara is next level talk!

The other related issue is that a gyani is both the servant and representative of the sangat. As a servant of the sangat, he/she is constantly looking after the individual and collective needs of the satsangees and sangat, very much like a shepherd, protecting them from anti –gurmat teachings and practises, being at their side in moments of difficulty(like bereavement) and joy, and implementing a wide programme of gurmat education for the kids, teenagers and sangat such as kirtan classes, santheya, bani explanations, punjabi etc. As a representative and leader of the sangat, the gyani leads in ardas before Guru Maharaj by crystallising the needs of the sangat and bringing forward their prayers before God and Guru in sangat ki ardas, and then presiding over parshad bheta and virtaun ki sewa. In this respect, the gyani should be the Real Boss in a gurudwara, helped by 4 other pyaras. This ought to be the form of local level leadership in a Gurudwara.

The current system of having a management committee that ‘rules’ is in my opinion very flawed and anti gurmat, leading to court battles and fights. A gurudwara is the door of Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj and hence needs to be headed by 5 pyaras, the principle being the gyani.

Other issues that have been addressed earlier on are very crucial too i.e a gyani's knowledge of relevant languages the sangat are used to, and I would add, his/her level of computer literacy and education. The ‘rhesh’ of gurudwara gyanis too is a matter of absolute urgent attention that the satkar committee ought to be addressing, as this is leading to the mother of all beadbis for which we are all answerable and punishable.

Sorry for a half written post earlier as I pressed the wrong button accidently(admin you can delete that earlier post). Here is my full reply.

Artmental Jee,

The word 'gyani' itself is self explanatory that the main quality of such a person is that he/she has gyan i.e knowledge and in this context means to be enlightened and not in ignorance. A gyani is not just one who can Artmental Jee,

The word 'gyani' itself is self explanatory that the main quality of such a person is that he/she has gyan i.e knowledge and in this context means to be enlightened and not in ignorance. In Tat Gurmat, a gyani is a person who dwells in a state of enlightenment in the continuos loving presence of God and Guru, always immersed in the humble and loving sewa of God, Guru, Khalsa Panth and sangat. Numerous verses in SGGS attest to this. We tend to use the word gyani more loosely in current terminology to refer to a person who can read and explain holy scriptures, perform religious rituals and Rights of passage ceremonies, as well as look after a gurudwara. Even so, the gyani in such a situation should aim to be an enlightened, blessed gurmukh to do justice to having the title gyani placed before his/her name.

The term gyan can be allusive because one could read and sing scriptures correctly and explain them well but a lot of that could be parampara, kitabi, or ‘prea sunia’ gyan, where the person’s inner has not been touched. Refer to the conversation between Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh and Gyani Kartar Singh in ‘jail chithia’ for more indepth into this. On the other hand Gurujee can bless us to start deriving ‘anbhavee’ gyan from our nitnem, gurbani reading, simran, kirtan etc. This places one on the road to becoming a real gyani through Maharaj’s kirpa. To have such a person in a gurudwara is next level talk!

The other related issue is that a gyani is both the servant and representative of the sangat. As a servant of the sangat, he/she is constantly looking after the individual and collective needs of the satsangees and sangat, very much like a shepherd, protecting them from anti –gurmat teachings and practises, being at their side in moments of difficulty(like bereavement) and joy, and implementing a wide programme of gurmat education for the kids, teenagers and sangat such as kirtan classes, santheya, bani explanations, punjabi etc. As a representative and leader of the sangat, the gyani leads in ardas before Guru Maharaj by crystallising the needs of the sangat and bringing forward their prayers before God and Guru in sangat ki ardas, and then presiding over parshad bheta and virtaun ki sewa. In this respect, the gyani should be the Real Boss in a gurudwara, helped by 4 other pyaras. This ought to be the form of local level leadership in a Gurudwara.

The current system of having a management committee that ‘rules’ is in my opinion very flawed and anti gurmat, leading to court battles and fights. A gurudwara is the door of Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj and hence needs to be headed by 5 pyaras, the principle being the gyani.

Other issues that have been addressed earlier on are very crucial too i.e a gyani's knowledge of relevant languages the sangat are used to, and I would add, his/her level of computer literacy and education. The ‘rhesh’ of gurudwara gyanis too is a matter of absolute urgent attention that the satkar committee ought to be addressing, as this is leading to the mother of all beadbis for which we are all answerable and punishable.

Good reply

We've all heard the stories about corrupt money hungry and lustful gianis and the ones who hang out at glassy junction in their spare time, I've heard this from my parent! However I am certain there are a few who are genuine, I think you can feel and sometimes see spirituality and have come across a couple of very spiritual gianis. I once went to a gurdwarra where the gianis/ giani had pin up girls on their wall in their living quarters though. That was definately a shock!