Support The Innocent Sikh Prisoners In Jails Across India

Benti to all, please take a few moments to visit: http://www.prisonerwelfare.com/prisoners-letters/ and read the letters of the INNOCENT sikhs who have been imprisoned for upto 18 years.

"Sometimes, when I sit by myself I question what was my fault, what did I do to deserve this, was it only because I was born in a Sikh family?!

What kind of law and justice is there in this country, where a 14 year old boy is subjected to degrading and inhumane treatment, and framed with such an abhorrent conviction such as TADA and thrown to rot and waste within the four walls of the jail for the rest of his life?!"

Guest SarabjeetSingh

From the same case that you quoted ,

"This is my story so far, since then I have been rotting in various Indian jails for the last 21+ years. Finally after all these years for good behaviour in prison, I have been granted home visits for 28days every six months."

Why doesn't he then flee away somewhere when he has a chance of that 28 days ( which is a very big period for escaping ).? I wonder !

Somewhere where police may not be able to catch him . Somewhere like Kerala or bombay or any small remote village !

Can you clarify ?

Gurfathe Paaji,

I think we have to look at this logically, by running away or fleeing, how does he help the situation??Yes for short term and thats probably a month he'll be ok, then what?! His family will be interrogated and most likely tortured and he will be on the run from the law (although we might not agree with it, in his circumstance he has to agree with it), and it gives the government/police officials to arrest more innocent Sikhs and put the Gursikhs in the negative lime light, which has happened far too many time (1978-present) Also at least with the 28days he gets to visit his home, he can see his family, why jeopardize that for "freedom"

At the end of the day SOPW (from what i've read) supports the prisoners and family needs and does it according to the law (British/Indian) hence why it is a legal and registered charity, by him running/hiding from the law will not help him or his family or the panth... What we must do and probably the only thing we can do is unite together and support them, show them that we are standing alongside them, show them that the sangat outside those prison walls are there for them... That was the aim of the charity according to Professor Devinderpal Singh Bhullar.

Sorry if i have said anything to hurt/upset you.

Gurfathe

From the same case that you quoted ,

"This is my story so far, since then I have been rotting in various Indian jails for the last 21+ years. Finally after all these years for good behaviour in prison, I have been granted home visits for 28days every six months."

Why doesn't he then flee away somewhere when he has a chance of that 28 days ( which is a very big period for escaping ).? I wonder !

Somewhere where police may not be able to catch him . Somewhere like Kerala or bombay or any small remote village !

Can you clarify ?

Thanks NF84 for highlighting this situation,

We urge all Sikhs, even if you are sceptical about donating there is a whole range of seva you can do for the prisoners without donating money, recently SOPW volunteers went out and actually met Sikhs in jails across Delhi (Tihar), you can write to them etc

in india, prisoners are not allowed home leave without any surety, this is usually the family land and home, so this will guarantee the prisoner will return to jail. if he doesnt the family will lose everything, so it would be too much of a risk not to return or abscond.

its a shame that we can spend so much money on gurdwaras without really looking after the sikhs who really need it.

This is the basis of my argument with the 5 singhs from soho rd gurdwara, who came to my house asking for money to build a gurdwara in india. i told im not giving you anything, i will give any money i have to sikhs affected by 1984 and the Khalistan movement. we all need to take this approach.

a couple of years ago, i approached the committee at wednesfield gurdwara, and asked them to help the pakistani sikhs taking refuge at Panja Sahib from Taliban. They sneered at my suggestion. After that I stopped putting money in the gurdwara golak, and just saved it up every week, until i went to india a few months ago, and gave it to the family of a sikh who has been i jail since 84.

if your gurdwara refuses to help in cases like these, you should take matters into your on hands asto how you are going to help your brothers and sisters.

• 4 weeks later...