Bhangra Singers On Gurdwara Stages?

GurSa Singh

I got this text today:

Tonight 8pm watch Sikh TV Channel 848 they will show Sikh Stage UK even which happened in Erith on Wednesday night pls watch Jas Dhami, Aman Hayer, Benny Dhaliwal performing live in Erith Gurdwara to preserve the future of Sikhism.

post-1234-069746500 1293834575_thumb.jpg

I suppose it was the overconfident statement preserve the future of Sikhism which allured me in to watching the programme on Sikh TV. Being a bit of an old fogie, firstly I was not too sure who Jas Dhami, Aman Hayer and Benny Dhaliwal were except for Bhangra pop stars, quickly checked their videos on youtube and as usual saw the women exploiting antics of the typical Bhangra male singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zg7ZQy-bQs

So then I thought what will they be preserving? They did not appear as Sikh role models in deed or in look.

What I watched on Sikh TV was the usual 15 minute panthic bandwagon that these Bhangra singers jump on every so often as a self promotional exercise, but this time it was on the Gurdwara stage. I felt somewhat uncomfortable that the pious Gurdwara stage of Gursikh examples was allowed to be hijacked for the purpose of a Bhangra singers publicity campaign where they sang a dharmik geet and no doubt they will subsequently be appearing in a music video where they attempt to seduce a woman in a bar.

The idea that this was publicised as an event to preserve the "future of Sikhism" shows how thoughtless we are. Sikhism is preserved through reni beni, thorough principles and Gurmat not through Bhangra singers.

Maybe there was some genuine sharda in the organisation of this event, but organiser need to see the mixed messages of confusion which are sent when incorrect people are portrayed as Sikh role models. Till this day I have not seen one Bhangra singer, who sing Dhamrik geet one minute and then sing about a bottle of sharab the next minute, adopt a Gursikh jeevan. Yet for some reason people convince themselves that they will promote a Gursikh jeevan to others.

Apologies to the likes of Mohan Singh SAS and others who were involved in the organisation, but I honestly think that if Bhangra singers think they should preserve Sikhism, then they should make more of an effort to change their jeevan and solely promote Sikh principles not a womans anatomy or bottle of liquor.

Just a thought maybe the organisors had professionals design the flyers etc. So that would entail copywriters who just try too promote an event. Maybe ideas were given from the organisers but NON_SIKHS wrote the actual stuff?

Also if a young lad his dad, grandad all uncles, aunties on both sides are amritdhari theres a high chance of him wanting to learn of sikhi and partcipate, even if sometimes its by force not choice.

Now theres another young lad proper punjabi, well as much as he can be being born here bhachara. Only goes to gurdwara for weddings, NOW he seen that flyer well known artists are performing at the gurdwara, so he wants to attend the gurdwara. Even if that one performance by bhangra singers / prodcuers is the catalyst for even one person wanting to learn more is that not an achievement?

I mean youngsters who have guidance and have been bought up attending gurdware regularly there already there, i feel these eventsget the sort of youngster to attend gurdware who don't even know where they are, if even one of the youngsters is inspired well i think thats a success.

BTW every human being has the right too recite gurbani and praise waheguru. I already in previous posts highlighted the muslim decendents of Bhai Mardana ji doing kirtan in gurdware so you do not have too have taken amrit to recite gurbani. Everyone has the right to praise waheguru, as long as you are reciting NAAM.

Also It don't send mixed messages, it shows that ALL people praise and worship WAHEGURU. What it shows is all love and acknowledge waheguru. Wherever they are on their journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought maybe the organisors had professionals design the flyers etc. So that would entail copywriters who just try too promote an event. Maybe ideas were given from the organisers but NON_SIKHS wrote the actual stuff?

Also if a young lad his dad, grandad all uncles, aunties on both sides are amritdhari theres a high chance of him wanting to learn of sikhi and partcipate, even if sometimes its by force not choice.

Now theres another young lad proper punjabi, well as much as he can be being born here bhachara. Only goes to gurdwara for weddings, NOW he seen that flyer well known artists are performing at the gurdwara, so he wants to attend the gurdwara. Even if that one performance by bhangra singers / prodcuers is the catalyst for even one person wanting to learn more is that not an achievement?

I mean youngsters who have guidance and have been bought up attending gurdware regularly there already there, i feel these eventsget the sort of youngster to attend gurdware who don't even know where they are, if even one of the youngsters is inspired well i think thats a success.

BTW every human being has the right too recite gurbani and praise waheguru. I already in previous posts highlighted the muslim decendents of Bhai Mardana ji doing kirtan in gurdware so you do not have too have taken amrit to recite gurbani. Everyone has the right to praise waheguru, as long as you are reciting NAAM.

Also It don't send mixed messages, it shows that ALL people praise and worship WAHEGURU. What it shows is all love and acknowledge waheguru. Wherever they are on their journey.

After 1984, there were resolutions passed in most Gurdwaras, which are still enforced in a lot of the Gurdwaras, that those people that perform in clubs etc, will not be allowed on the Gurdwars stage. This was needed especially for weddings, where such guests where then asked to sing at the Gurdwara. It's a pity that the yoputh of today never mind keeping to this resolution, have in fact broken it themselves.

Aplogies not all youths but some.

WJKK WJKF

Hi There,

Just wanted to say that organisers were trying a new approach to attracting the Youth to the Gurdwara. I must admit this approach, although not conventional and not conforming to the Guru Ghar Maryadha, worked. The thing is that we should think about innovative ways of attracting sangat to the Gurdwaras, because once they are in then we can preach what is the right thing and what is wrong. This isn't going to happen if the Divaan is EMPTY or full of those who are already on the path!! Why preach to the converted?

The Sikh Awareness Society were a little reserved when they were asked to present at the venue but the outcome was very positive and the impact the presentation made on the sangat far outweighed the argument of whether these siingers should have been allowed to perform on a Gurdwara stage.

http://www.sasorg.co.uk/news.html

WJKK WJKF

Daasakedaas

WJKK WJKF

Hi There,

Just wanted to say that organisers were trying a new approach to attracting the Youth to the Gurdwara. I must admit this approach, although not conventional and not conforming to the Guru Ghar Maryadha, worked. The thing is that we should think about innovative ways of attracting sangat to the Gurdwaras, because once they are in then we can preach what is the right thing and what is wrong. This isn't going to happen if the Divaan is EMPTY or full of those who are already on the path!! Why preach to the converted?

The Sikh Awareness Society were a little reserved when they were asked to present at the venue but the outcome was very positive and the impact the presentation made on the sangat far outweighed the argument of whether these siingers should have been allowed to perform on a Gurdwara stage.

http://www.sasorg.co.uk/news.html

WJKK WJKF

Daasakedaas

Whilst I can clearly understand your point of view, don't you think its sad that we have to change our inherent nature (or Sikhi's natural attributes) to "get people through the door"? Where would it stop just so that people can be initially welcomed into the fold, as it were? Do you understand what I'm trying to say? If the youth are not being attracted towards the proper and respectful way of Sikhi, then surely that's a failing in them and not a weakness in the Sikhi way of life? Therefore the Sikhi way should not have to be modified or skewed in order to appeal to them. I do appreciate your point, but I must say that Sikhi should always prevail.

Whilst I can clearly understand your point of view, don't you think its sad that we have to change our inherent nature (or Sikhi's natural attributes) to "get people through the door"? Where would it stop just so that people can be initially welcomed into the fold, as it were? Do you understand what I'm trying to say? If the youth are not being attracted towards the proper and respectful way of Sikhi, then surely that's a failing in them and not a weakness in the Sikhi way of life? Therefore the Sikhi way should not have to be modified or skewed in order to appeal to them. I do appreciate your point, but I must say that Sikhi should always prevail.

May I enquire how old you are and how long you have been an Amritdhari Sikh? Also, how did you come into Sikhi? This is just for my personal knowledge.

May I enquire how old you are and how long you have been an Amritdhari Sikh? Also, how did you come into Sikhi? This is just for my personal knowledge.

I don't think that's any of your concern (and has no bearing on the validity of my point of view). I'm not in the habit of giving personal details on the Internet, and basing your flawed perception of issues on whether someone is Sikh enough to give them is somewhat of a cop-out.

I don't think that's any of your concern (and has no bearing on the validity of my point of view). I'm not in the habit of giving personal details on the Internet, and basing your flawed perception of issues on whether someone is Sikh enough to give them is somewhat of a cop-out.

I would hazard a guess that you're under 30 and have not experienced much of the world outside of Sikhi, and maybe even outside of the UK (or whichever country you reside in)?? May I recommend that you get some time in...!! and more importantly get out amongst the non-amritdhari community to gain an appreciation of what their views are. We as amritdharis sometimes think we are superhuman and superior, when actually we must remember that we are the dust beneath the feet of others. This the last post I will submit to this thread.

Please forgive me if I have offended you in any way by posting my remarks.

Humble regards

Daasakedaas

I would hazard a guess that you're under 30 and have not experienced much of the world outside of Sikhi, and maybe even outside of the UK (or whichever country you reside in)?? May I recommend that you get some time in...!! and more importantly get out amongst the non-amritdhari community to gain an appreciation of what their views are. We as amritdharis sometimes think we are superhuman and superior, when actually we must remember that we are the dust beneath the feet of others. This the last post I will submit to this thread.

Please forgive me if I have offended you in any way by posting my remarks.

Humble regards

Daasakedaas

I was going to launch into a huge monologue but you've made your arguments respectfully and sensibly. All advice is under consideration, brother! I'm always willing to learn, especially from someone with humility and apparent wisdom. No worries.

I still reckon nothing should have to be compromised, but various approaches are most likely needed.