Do You Like This?

11Gurus1Jot

Just an excuse for Sikhs who aren't allowed to listen to bhangra / modern music to feel as if they aren't "missing out".

This is my opinion, remember! :D

Very Good point!!

I was looking at the other angle, as in, I was thinking that this would get those who only listen to Bhangra, and not Keertan, into finding out more about Keetan.

But, I understand that this could get Sikhs who listen to Keertan listening to Bhangra. Very Good point!

What do you think generally? Is it a good thing for Sikhi, and Sikh Youth who are not yet into Sikhi, when people like Sukhshinder Shinda, Jazzy B, and other Bhangra Singers start singing the praises of the Gurus, and our history.

I mean do you think it will lead Sikhs who listen to Bhangra Music into Sikhi/Keertan, or could it lead Gursikhs who listen to Keertan into Bhangra?

....What do you think generally? Is it a good thing for Sikhi, and Sikh Youth who are not yet into Sikhi, when people like Sukhshinder Shinda, Jazzy B, and other Bhangra Singers start singing the praises of the Gurus, and our history.

I mean do you think it will lead Sikhs who listen to Bhangra Music into Sikhi/Keertan, or could it lead Gursikhs who listen to Keertan into Bhangra?

Cynical ploys to make money and / or alleviate a guilty conscience for leading a non-Gurmat lifestyle. They don't care about our Gurus and our history, for if they did they would renounce their "nachna tapna" and exclusively sing the praises of those they profess to adore so much. They want their cake (or any other Indian sweet dish) and they want to eat it as well.

If we ever reach the situation (as a faith) where youngsters need to have bhangra / non-Sikhi music dangled in-front of them to get them into a Gurudwara, it'll be clear that the end is very close for us.

What next? In 25-50 years time we'll have those within our faith saying "We need this type of music to be played in a diwaan hall because nobody is coming to listen to standard shabad kirtan". Will we accept it as a necessary evil when on one side we have Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in prakash, and a few feet to the left we'll have a dhol, some turn-tables and a dodgy singer shouting to the sangat "Give me a re-re-rewind for the Khalsa!!!"

It's a slippery road my friend, and one which is inadvertently travelled with - initially - the best of intentions. We musn't fall into this trap of changing our core values and methods by distorting our faith for the fickle youngsters of today.

OUR FAITH CANNOT BE ABUSED BY THOSE WHO SING ABOUT JATTA DE MUNDE AND KUDIYAN DI TOLI!!!!! :waheguru:

If these singers provide Seva to the gurdwaras free to bring in youth good luck to them

HOWEVER IF THEY FEEL LIKE MOVING IN ON GURDWARAS TO TOP UP THEIR DECLINING INCOME THEN THEY HAVE ANOTHER THING COMING AS I KNOW MP3 SALES ARE AT RECORD LOWS SO THEY MAY THINK HANG ON LETS CASH IN ON SIKH GURDWARA WEDDINGS BUT WE SHANT LET THEM :@

I have to say my thoughts keep 'switching' on this subject.

One side of me thinks,...

Side A - well it's got to be a good thing because it will bring the attention of the non-sikhi type, clubbing, drinking, Bangra type of punjabi's thoughts towards sikhi. And then when they explore a bit further they start to get deeper and deeper into Sikhi. And becuase of this pyaar/love they start to then develop they take Amrit and become a Singh or Kaur. I also look at the Bangra Singers who sing the praises of the Gurus, and think, well they are saying to all their fans, "even though we sing and dance about to Bangra, it doesn't mean that we forget our roots and religion, and neither should you".

The other side of me thinks...

Side B - these guys are just doing it for the cash, and are attaching themselves to our Gurus' history to make themselves look better without actually showing any real loyalty to Guru Ji or following Guru Ji's guidance. And I also worry that they are giving out the message to all that, hey look, we are just much Sikh as the Amritdharis... look how much we understand and know. See, you don't have to take Amrit ever, you can just be like us, and sing about Gurus now and then.

I am still definately on the fence, I just can't make up my mind. I suppose one test would be to record the number of Punjabis who actually moved away from bangra and started to listen to Kirtan instead, directly as a result of hearing these bangra/Sikhi tracks.

I suppose one test would be to record the number of Punjabis who actually moved away from bangra and started to listen to Kirtan instead, directly as a result of hearing these bangra/Sikhi tracks.

Start a poll on this thread asking people if they stop listening to dirty lyrics because of these singers singing about Sikhi. Ask how many came to Sikhi due to being around Gursikhs or listening to their knowledge. Ask the question how many moved further from Sikhi because of these singers who sing both dirty songs and songs about Sikhi. Ask the question if singing dirty songs and singing songs about Sikhi are okay according to Sikhi. It wont get you a proper representation of the Sikh community, but it'll be interesting to see the numbers.

Start a poll on this thread asking people if they stop listening to dirty lyrics because of these singers singing about Sikhi. Ask how many came to Sikhi due to being around Gursikhs or listening to their knowledge. Ask the question how many moved further from Sikhi because of these singers who sing both dirty songs and songs about Sikhi. Ask the question if singing dirty songs and singing songs about Sikhi are okay according to Sikhi. It wont get you a proper representation of the Sikh community, but it'll be interesting to see the numbers.

I see your point. So do you think all three Sikhi Channels and Sikhi Radio Stations should stop playing any Sikhi tracks where the singers also sing dirty lyrics on their other albums (not their past dirty albums because everyone has a right to start afresh, I mean if they are still singing or promoting their dirty lyrics).:BL:

I see your point. So do you think all three Sikhi Channels and Sikhi Radio Stations should stop playing any Sikhi tracks where the singers also sing dirty lyrics on their other albums (not their past dirty albums because everyone has a right to start afresh, I mean if they are still singing or promoting their dirty lyrics).:BL:

Yeah, if they still promote there dirty lyrics then no Sikh channel shoud promote anything they do. IF they want to help people into Sikhi and do the right thing then they need to start with themselves first and then do for others.